GEN II modified to compete with GEN IV ACR

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the above ($26925) plus a ~ 33000 gen2 = $59925 if my math is right. that is the price of a gen4 ACR

pretty sure i have seen a few sell for that price

Add labor to the mods and you're in the $70K range...and what's the point of doing all of that work without adding some form of substantial HP increase? :dunno: If doing the Stryker heads, might as well put in a cam...including headers, catback and probably a cat delete. I'm not against the idea...I'd love to see it done and documented here. Then again, it's easy for me to spend other people's money. :D

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Add labor to the mods and you're in the $70K range...and what's the point of doing all of that work without adding some form of substantial HP increase? :dunno: If doing the Stryker heads, might as well put in a cam...including headers, catback and probably a cat delete. I'm not against the idea...I'd love to see it done and documented here. Then again, it's easy for me to spend other people's money. :D

tony, youre starting to sound like me...lol

although nicer and better punctuation :)

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the ACR-X. It is an incredible value for sports car racing.

But the other side of the coin is the fun of building your own, especially if you don't have 100K+ laying around. It may or may not be cost effective but there are a lot of advantages to it. For one thing, learning which mods actually work and which are sales pitches.

Either way benefits the Viper image and is good for sports car racing over all.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I concur with Chuck...sometimes it's not always a bottom line thing.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I concur with Chuck...sometimes it's not always a bottom line thing.

Exactly, but the original poster really should know what he or she is getting into before deciding that's the way to go. If you want to spend a ton making a Gen 2 really competitive, great....one more for the local track clubs! However, if they're thinking its a $5K weekend project, disappointment will certainly follow.

As someone said earlier, buy someone else's GTS money-sink track car and restore the headlights and other DMV-required stuff!

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No one has mentioned the time, money, effort and frustration of sorting out the car once it has been built. Spent many hours and additional money getting this car sorted out after it was built and purchased. Good luck.

Attachments

• DSCN0586.jpg
    DSCN0586.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do it the hard way and be N/A to make the power.

I would do it like this.

Roe S/C. 6500
KW's $2500
Tires (used Toyo R888's) $500
Areo $2500 (used...why buy new?)
Dave's Big Brakes (using SRT) 4k

$15k. I bet it could be done for about 15k if you take your time and not buy retail. Just paid $1150 for new full set Baer 2 Piece rotors AND Hawk HP+ PADS for the SRT. Other wise it would have been over $2500 just for rotors. It pays to shop!

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No one has mentioned the time, money, effort and frustration of sorting out the car once it has been built. Spent many hours and additional money getting this car sorted out after it was built and purchased. Good luck.

Those fog lamps look like they are painted on there...are those real?

vpr4track

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a full race '96 that has the power, but I think I would be faster in the newer car. As a driving instructor I have been in Gen III's and Gen IV's that are quite capable even as they have been driven to the track.
It seems like the OP has already made the right mods but should add the safety gear and seat time. Going too much further w/ that car may take it off the street.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Try the exposed chord slicks - they are my personal favorite & worked well for me :omg:

Couldn't have been that good, Mike in his 97 gts with no aero was all over you. Maybe you should stick to Ducati's.

DaveGF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure I saw a post by GTS-R 001 about ACR/Orca type aero for Gen 2 cars that he makes.

The fastest car at the last Viper race at Texas World Speedway was a Gen 2. Made the Comp Coupes look like they were going backwards. I think he was 6 seconds faster a lap. BIG $ though.

That was my Gen II at TWS. It was only about one to two seconds a lap faster than the fastest CC (Ben Keating of course). I tried to look up the times on NARRA but could not find them.

I have driven that Gen II (it is a bit faster than it was at TWS) back-to-back with my new ACR-X at MSR Cresson as recently as two weeks ago. The Gen II is clearly faster but not much. Some of the low-buck approaches described in this thread will not get a Gen II up to an ACR-X or even an ACR.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have spent quite a bit of $ trying to get my GenII Viper to where it is track-worthy, yet keeping it 'streetable', mostly suspension and brakes/cooling mods and 7 yrs of seat time on roadcourses.

I have found that's a fine line, I am at the point now if I go any more towards the 'track' side of the setup I am really giving up some comfort in street driving.

You can do what I've done if you still want to keep it streetable, anything more you are really gonna have to make it a dedicated track car to even try to compete with an ACR. JMHO.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was my Gen II at TWS. It was only about one to two seconds a lap faster than the fastest CC (Ben Keating of course). I tried to look up the times on NARRA but could not find them.

I have driven that Gen II (it is a bit faster than it was at TWS) back-to-back with my new ACR-X at MSR Cresson as recently as two weeks ago. The Gen II is clearly faster but not much. Some of the low-buck approaches described in this thread will not get a Gen II up to an ACR-X or even an ACR.

That's an impressive Gen 2. Mine is at best 3-4 seconds slower than a buddies ACRX (on approx 2.5 mile tracks)....he's a better driver, but I wouldn't have thought there'd be anything I could do to it to squeeze 5 seconds more out of it.

Back to the drawing board this winter! :)

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have spent a lot of time and $ trying to get a GTS as fast as newer Viper for the street and as a weekend racer for road courses. I have wings that are not yet installed but after following an ACR at VOI-11 would probably be necessary if you were going to frequent a track with high speed corners.

I stuck with the GTS as I have always loved the style of the Gen 2 and started mods as like most Viper owners, I'm a touch competitive and hate getting passed. Now I love the performance of my car but got to say that the weight savings in the Gen IV is hard to make up, even without wings, with full interior (plus roll bar, cooling stuff galore and lots of safety equipment) it just weighed in at 3799. The added weight hurts in accelerating, cornering and braking, so if you really want on track performance, some of the luxury items like stereo, or A/C may need to go away or the other option is you have to shoot for better brakes and more power than the competition.

Good luck whichever way you go and if I can help answer any questions feel free to contact me,

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The results show one driver running a bit faster than Ben Keating on Sunday's race and his name is Dave. He ran about 3/10ths faster on Sunday , but Keating only did 5 laps. What was interesting was he was about 5 seconds ahead of the second finishing car -- this was only on Sundays race.

On the Saturday prior, Dave ran 2 seconds slower than Ben on his best lap , and a second slower than one other car also. Definitely was on his game Sunday , but the times are up under MyLaps.

All said and done, it shows a Gen II can run up there with the Comp Coupes ,etc., as Dave shows with his times ( did it once myself in a GTS, but I was much younger then,ha).

The key to this question is can it be done? Sure, but the cost is quite substantial and that is the question one has to ask. Sad part is Gen II track cars will not return what a good ACR will on resale , so one has to go in with full knowledge that when all is said and done, there is going to be another issue to address in the total cost debate.

DaveGF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Bill. That was me. You are correct on the time difference - more like 1/3 sec, not one to two (the memory is the second thing to go!). Ben actually did 23 laps, not 5. The five laps entry is how far behind he was due to him having a tire blow with five laps to go. The relatively small margin of victory (12 seconds, not 5), was due to a caution somewhat over halfway throughout the race. I was leading by Ben by about 25 seconds at the time of the caution - despite having started last due to our mechanical problems Saturday. Totally different cars though. I think Ben is a faster driver than me, we will see in the Viper Cup this year.
The Gen II is sorted a bit better now. At Hallett a month after TWS, it was just over 1 second faster than the fastest ACR-X.
To be clear, I love the ACR-X and look forward to participating in the Viper Cup this year. The Gen II is just a labor of love for a really cool track car that is only justified on that basis, not economics and not as a car with a large class of competitors like the X.
I think the X could surpass My Gen II with some fairly inexpensive mods targeting weight (no lead added as Viper Cup cars have) and lexan instead of glass. Throw in gearing changes and I think it would be right there.
Dave

JGarrett

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi NI-KA,
Welcome to the track addiction! I think I'm still a bit confused over the fundamental question first: Why this exercise? What do you really want to do? Are you just trying to have the zippiest, coolest track car, or do you ultimately want to compete with them? The ACRX is a spec car, so you'll not be classed with them anywhere. Where do you think you may want to run? NARRA (Viper Days), SCCA, NASA. Look at the rules for where you want to run, then build the car to that standard as best you can. SC or TC for the track is almost never the answer. If you want a track car alone: all the Vipers really have great power, I'd leave the engine alone save for the breathing on both ends. The most improvement can be made in the Gen II's stopping ability. That would be the best investment , also the suspension is a tad soft and takes a while to set before turn in.
Everyone always wants more motor and thinks that it is the answer to going faster. It rarely is. A Gen II with brakes and suspension, is a great car that will really surprise the other marques, :2tu:. They think you're going to just try to drag race them on every straight and can't turn or stop. They'll be shocked!

Cheers,
Jim

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Hey Bill. That was me. You are correct on the time difference - more like 1/3 sec, not one to two (the memory is the second thing to go!). Ben actually did 23 laps, not 5. The five laps entry is how far behind he was due to him having a tire blow with five laps to go. The relatively small margin of victory (12 seconds, not 5), was due to a caution somewhat over halfway throughout the race. I was leading by Ben by about 25 seconds at the time of the caution - despite having started last due to our mechanical problems Saturday. Totally different cars though. I think Ben is a faster driver than me, we will see in the Viper Cup this year.
The Gen II is sorted a bit better now. At Hallett a month after TWS, it was just over 1 second faster than the fastest ACR-X.
To be clear, I love the ACR-X and look forward to participating in the Viper Cup this year. The Gen II is just a labor of love for a really cool track car that is only justified on that basis, not economics and not as a car with a large class of competitors like the X.
I think the X could surpass My Gen II with some fairly inexpensive mods targeting weight (no lead added as Viper Cup cars have) and lexan instead of glass. Throw in gearing changes and I think it would be right there.
Dave

You and your mechanic worked your butts off all weekend if I remember correctly. I thought it was a well deserved win. Plus your car defiantly had the cool factor:)

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This makes a lot of sense to me! It would be a shame to throw down all that $ until you are sure where you want to run and be competitive.

I have also seen the best drivers are those who have a good amount of seat time then fit a car to their driving abilites. The two together make for a fast car.

Hi NI-KA,
Welcome to the track addiction! I think I'm still a bit confused over the fundamental question first: Why this exercise? What do you really want to do? Are you just trying to have the zippiest, coolest track car, or do you ultimately want to compete with them? The ACRX is a spec car, so you'll not be classed with them anywhere. Where do you think you may want to run? NARRA (Viper Days), SCCA, NASA. Look at the rules for where you want to run, then build the car to that standard as best you can. SC or TC for the track is almost never the answer. If you want a track car alone: all the Vipers really have great power, I'd leave the engine alone save for the breathing on both ends. The most improvement can be made in the Gen II's stopping ability. That would be the best investment , also the suspension is a tad soft and takes a while to set before turn in.
Everyone always wants more motor and thinks that it is the answer to going faster. It rarely is. A Gen II with brakes and suspension, is a great car that will really surprise the other marques, :2tu:. They think you're going to just try to drag race them on every straight and can't turn or stop. They'll be shocked!

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
People lean towards motor mods because they think it's the most affordable way to quicker track times and maybe it is. A brake upgrade and shocks will run 10k. You can get a lot of HP for 10K.

That said, I went with brakes and shocks first. Now after ten years of a stock motor I'm finally pulling the heads and doing some upgrades.

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are alot of things that can be done but is there any hope that a modded GEN II can keep up with the GEN IV ACR?
QUOTE]

I've been where you're at. Got your PM. There is a lot of great advice already in this thread from people I would assume are more experienced than myself. I got my GTS and myself to the point where I was respectably fast and then promptly bought an ACR after getting to drive one. :2tu:

A lot of the answer depends on the type of track and habits of the driver.
It goes without saying that you should invest in the slowest thing in the car if you haven't already: the software between the seat and the steering wheel. I ran with a few ACR's at the track where the driver experience alone made up the difference.
You need an upgraded oil pan with swing arm for sure if you are taking any sweeping turns to protect the motor. Before buying my ACR I was running my GTS very regularly and pretty quickly with no problems. The mistake I made from a tracking point of view was putting the Roe on it. Plenty of guys will tell you they run a Roe with no heat problems.......sure. Not in the Texas heat and not going all out for 20 to 30 minutes.:cool: If you are just going 60% you'll be fine. If you are trying to run down the next car constantly you will get too hot in the summer.

I still have the stock suspension on mine, no aero. She became fussy as I pushed the limits to keep up. I didn't mind because the threshold is predictable and easily corrected. Your comfort level would probably be much higher changing up the suspension and then looking at the aero. Depending on the track gearing can make a huge difference. I run 3.55 gears, big brake kit, aggressive alignment, 305 and 335 18 inch kuhmos with necessary safety equipment. I had the car conservatively tuned to 550 RWHP for the track. I would think this is the RWHP you will need for a larger track if you hope to keep up. I would save any additional HP for last though!

On my home track I have run even with new ACRs with reasonably experienced drivers but one very good driver here in Houston just ran away from me....come to think of it he still does just not as quickly! I will say that 2 weekends into my ACR I was running 7 seconds faster than I ever did in my GTS at Texas World with a lot less effort. Once I drove an ACR I was hooked.

Running with an ACR with your current setup can be done at many tracks if you are a better driver. Be prepared to work on the car more than the gen 4 guys between sessions as well as between weekends if you are going to go the HP route to make up the difference in times. My 2 cents: DO NOT GO FORCED INDUCTION and concentrate on:
1)Good breaking, looks like you covered it.
2)Good rubber/wheels with decreased unsprung weight...the biggest jump in performance for me occurred with this step!
3)Suspension: A good alignment and changing your compression and rebound go a long way.
I WOULD THINK THE AVERAGE FELLA WOULD STOP HERE UNLESS YOU ARE REALLY ********.
4)Think aero at this point if you are really still needing a bump up in performance. You may find if you get more seat time that the average ACR is running the same lap times as you.
5)Get some more ponies NA if you are trying to keep up with experienced driver's in their ACRs.

If you want nitty gritty details just ask. Most of what I did was following the advice of Jon and Russ at Archer. They never steered me wrong. Good luck. Trust me, the only thing better that making an ACR driver sweat by keeping up with them in a gen 2 is passing them!:2tu: Granted, that only happens with a significant experience difference. The weight and aero work wonders in the ACR.

Last edited:

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
There are alot of things that can be done but is there any hope that a modded GEN II can keep up with the GEN IV ACR?
QUOTE]

I've been where you're at. Got your PM. There is a lot of great advice already in this thread from people I would assume are more experienced than myself. I got my GTS and myself to the point where I was respectably fast and then promptly bought an ACR after getting to drive one. :2tu:

A lot of the answer depends on the type of track and habits of the driver.
It goes without saying that you should invest in the slowest thing in the car if you haven't already: the software between the seat and the steering wheel. I ran with a few ACR's at the track where the driver experience alone made up the difference.
You need an upgraded oil pan with swing arm for sure if you are taking any sweeping turns to protect the motor. Before buying my ACR I was running my GTS very regularly and pretty quickly with no problems. The mistake I made from a tracking point of view was putting the Roe on it. Plenty of guys will tell you they run a Roe with no heat problems.......sure. Not in the Texas heat and not going all out for 20 to 30 minutes.:cool: If you are just going 60% you'll be fine. If you are trying to run down the next car constantly you will get too hot in the summer.

I still have the stock suspension on mine, no aero. She became fussy as I pushed the limits to keep up. I didn't mind because the threshold is predictable and easily corrected. Your comfort level would probably be much higher changing up the suspension and then looking at the aero. Depending on the track gearing can make a huge difference. I run 3.55 gears, big brake kit, aggressive alignment, 305 and 335 18 inch kuhmos with necessary safety equipment. I had the car conservatively tuned to 550 RWHP for the track. I would think this is the RWHP you will need for a larger track if you hope to keep up. I would save any additional HP for last though!

On my home track I have run even with new ACRs with reasonably experienced drivers but one very good driver here in Houston just ran away from me....come to think of it he still does just not as quickly! I will say that 2 weekends into my ACR I was running 7 seconds faster than I ever did in my GTS at Texas World with a lot less effort. Once I drove an ACR I was hooked.

Running with an ACR with your current setup can be done at many tracks if you are a better driver. Be prepared to work on the car more than the gen 4 guys between sessions as well as between weekends if you are going to go the HP route to make up the difference in times. My 2 cents: DO NOT GO FORCED INDUCTION and concentrate on:
1)Good breaking, looks like you covered it.
2)Good rubber/wheels with decreased unsprung weight...the biggest jump in performance for me occurred with this step!
3)Suspension: A good alignment and changing your compression and rebound go a long way.
I WOULD THINK THE AVERAGE FELLA WOULD STOP HERE UNLESS YOU ARE REALLY ********.
4)Think aero at this point if you are really still needing a bump up in performance. You may find if you get more seat time that the average ACR is running the same lap times as you.
5)Get some more ponies NA if you are trying to keep up with experienced driver's in their ACRs.

If you want nitty gritty details just ask. Most of what I did was following the advice of Jon and Russ at Archer. They never steered me wrong. Good luck. Trust me, the only thing better that making an ACR driver sweat by keeping up with them in a gen 2 is passing them!:2tu: Granted, that only happens with a significant experience difference. The weight and aero work wonders in the ACR.

You are a class act Mike:2tu:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery