Gen V Price???

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's go with $124,999....fully loaded. Anything above that, for some reason doesn't sit well. Anyone here willing to pay more than that? The Gen IV depreciated about 25% after 2 years. If that happens with this car, that is over a $40k loss in two years when you consider taxes and fees. OUCH!!!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From seeing and hearing the Gen V at the Barratt-Jackson auction, it indeed looks to be a more expensive car than previous editions.

I believe you can set your own price when ordering. There will be not only 2 differently priced models, but a pretty long list of options to choose from. If price is the main issue, you can order a base SRT Viper, with prices close to previous editions. If you wish to spend more, to get a more upscale Viper, you can do so.

Think this ala carte program will prove very popular with the VIper community.

I remember when the 96 was released. It was available in only one configuration. Blue with white stripes, and black interior. Take it or leave it (I took it : >) Same in 03 when the Gen III was released.

Now you have lots of colors, several stripe options, suspension options, carbon fiber trims, upgraded interiors, stereo upgrades, suspension adjustable options, wheel packages, etc.

You can choose the price you want to pay.

There is still the other option of purchasing a pre-owned Viper, again at what every price your budget will allow.

Due to the elete nature of the Viper, still many people will be priced out, but for them, there are always the even cheaper used Vettes : >)

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From seeing and hearing the Gen V at the Barratt-Jackson auction, it indeed looks to be a more expensive car than previous editions.

I believe you can set your own price when ordering. There will be not only 2 differently priced models, but a pretty long list of options to choose from. If price is the main issue, you can order a base SRT Viper, with prices close to previous editions. If you wish to spend more, to get a more upscale Viper, you can do so.

Think this ala carte program will prove very popular with the VIper community.

I remember when the 96 was released. It was available in only one configuration. Blue with white stripes, and black interior. Take it or leave it (I took it : >) Same in 03 when the Gen III was released.

Now you have lots of colors, several stripe options, suspension options, carbon fiber trims, upgraded interiors, stereo upgrades, suspension adjustable options, wheel packages, etc.

You can choose the price you want to pay.

There is still the other option of purchasing a pre-owned Viper, again at what every price your budget will allow.

Due to the elete nature of the Viper, still many people will be priced out, but for them, there are always the even cheaper used Vettes : >)

Look, I completely understand where you are coming from, but I will say this.....

First, a little preface about me. Truth be told, as most posters on this forum, currently I cant' afford a Gen V (even at $95k). However, by as early as next summer/fall, I we be able to if things keep on the path they are on. Let's face it, buying a Viper is not exactly "responsible." However, I will be making this purchase as "responsible" as I can. What that means is, I'm not "stretching" myself. In other words, if I am budgeted for $100k and the car goes to $105k, I'm not financially pushed out.

If you were to make a theoretical list of those who can pay for a $100k Viper on this forum you will have (x) number of members. If you add a second column and bump the price to $135k, the list WILL be much smaller. Those that were pushed out from column 'A' to column 'B' just started looking on autotrader for a used one. That doesn't help the life expectancy of the brand. Before you bring up the Porsche Enthusiast that Ralph hopes to steal, let's remember this, they are just that....Porsche Enthusiasts. You just won't get that many. So, let's add a third column...column 'C.' This will represent the buyers that can afford a $135k Viper and don't care that it will be a $40k+ loss in 18-24 months if depreciation follows the path of prior generations (this goes back to the "responsible" purchase for me example). That column has even less people in it. This also adds to the people browsing for a used Viper. One last point I want to bring up and I'm sure I'm not alone, I think it kind of ***** to pay $100k+ on a car and you don't have the 'top of the line.'

I guess what I really want to say is, I hope SRT doesn't get too greedy. There is a magic number out there, and honestly, I'm not smart enough to figure it out. If they go too low, they can't make money and the Viper is dead. If they go to high, they can't sell enough and the Viper is dead. I don't want that to happen, even if I never get to buy a Viper.

Chelseasnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow , a viper worth $40k less after less than 2 years. if it was a vette i would say yes.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new Viper will depreciate the same as all Vipers have and if you believe otherwise your deluded.
Factor in the year to year improvements and the hopeful introduction of a vert and an ACR and the first year will depreciate just quick as every other Gen.
Its inevitable unless you totally stop production like the FGT but that was an aberration.
Every year improves and makes the previous less desirable.
If you can't afford the 20% you'll lose in a year or two you can't afford it anyway.

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look, I completely understand where you are coming from, but I will say this.....

First, a little preface about me. Truth be told, as most posters on this forum, currently I cant' afford a Gen V (even at $95k). However, by as early as next summer/fall, I we be able to if things keep on the path they are on. Let's face it, buying a Viper is not exactly "responsible." However, I will be making this purchase as "responsible" as I can. What that means is, I'm not "stretching" myself. In other words, if I am budgeted for $100k and the car goes to $105k, I'm not financially pushed out.

If you were to make a theoretical list of those who can pay for a $100k Viper on this forum you will have (x) number of members. If you add a second column and bump the price to $135k, the list WILL be much smaller. Those that were pushed out from column 'A' to column 'B' just started looking on autotrader for a used one. That doesn't help the life expectancy of the brand. Before you bring up the Porsche Enthusiast that Ralph hopes to steal, let's remember this, they are just that....Porsche Enthusiasts. You just won't get that many. So, let's add a third column...column 'C.' This will represent the buyers that can afford a $135k Viper and don't care that it will be a $40k+ loss in 18-24 months if depreciation follows the path of prior generations (this goes back to the "responsible" purchase for me example). That column has even less people in it. This also adds to the people browsing for a used Viper. One last point I want to bring up and I'm sure I'm not alone, I think it kind of ***** to pay $100k+ on a car and you don't have the 'top of the line.'

I guess what I really want to say is, I hope SRT doesn't get too greedy. There is a magic number out there, and honestly, I'm not smart enough to figure it out. If they go too low, they can't make money and the Viper is dead. If they go to high, they can't sell enough and the Viper is dead. I don't want that to happen, even if I never get to buy a Viper.

As a long time porsche guy who jumped ship in 96 for the gts on looks alone...I think this car will pull big from porsche and also maybe from ferrari and a few R8 owners. If I do manage to get one next year I will expect at least a free t-shirt from ralph after taking it to some local pca track days and "selling" a few more ;)

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking at the spec sheet and the way they have have it configured, the SRT model with a few options and packages will in all likelihood price north of $120,000. I say this because the packages are configured a lot like Porsche. I speced a new 977 GT3 when it first came out and after adding a few things, the price rose by $20,000. I hope I'm wrong because I want this car!

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Not more than a minute ago the Fox business channel on TV reported the new Viper to be priced at $100K. Also claims it is the 5th fastest production car in 2013 at 205 mph top speed. Veyron is fastest at 268 mph.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Leojmcca

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anything, it looks like the used viper market for gen. V down the road will be more difficult then the current used viper market. Now all you really worry about is what color and mileage!

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
really Think about it.... Has the economy realy picked up that much to justify bringing this car back? Sure you have a base of Viper owners (20% ??) that are willing and ready to upgrade but, the 100-120K puts it way out of reach of most. After the Viper community jumps all over it, whose really left that will buy it? They say they want to go after a new market... would love to see (the data) who the marketing gurus at SRT think that new market is... Again, subtract the Viper community upgrades and do you have one of the worst sellers of all time on your hands? (economy)... It will be interesting to see how this (sales) plays out...

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the Jay Leno interview, he said $110,000 and she said a little more than that. They were looking at the GTS which was later auctioned off. So can we count on a GTS being "a little more" than $110,000? Ignoring any dealer greed. If you look at the market and price a ZR1 Corvette, a little more than $110,000 seems right in the ball park.

Second, the GTS is intended to capture buyers who are used to paying more than $110,00 for their brand A, P, L and Z. That price would also encourage those buyers who are attracted to the GTS, to start thinking about taking a chance on a Viper.

The SRT version at a bit under $100,000 is right about at the price of maxed out Z06. Again, right in the ball park.

Maybe a max version of the GTS would go more that a lot more than $110,000 but that depends on the amount of customization SRT is going to offer.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing that has been bugging me.

"Base" SRT and premium GTS price talk, does anyone else think its weird that a Viper would come with "cloth" seats? Really? For $2k on a charger you get leather front and rear, power/lumbar and heated front with heated rear. How much can it cost to cover 2 front non power non heated seats in "basic' leather from the factory like they have done for 20 years over cloth?

I love what SRT has done with the Gen 5. But track car, base car, or not, shipping a Viper (at any price) with cloth seats doesn't sit right in my head if that's what ends up happening.

Last edited:

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing that has been bugging me.

"Base" SRT and premium GTS price talk, does anyone else think its weird that a Viper would come with "cloth" seats? Really? For $2k on a charger you get leather front and rear, power/lumbar and heated front with heated rear. How much can it cost to cover 2 front non power non heated seats in "basic' leather from the factory like they have done for 20 years over cloth?

I love what SRT has done with the Gen 5. But track car, base car, or not, shipping a Viper (at any price) with cloth seats doesn't sit right in my head if that's what ends up happening.

By cloth, they mean vinyl. I believe Gen 3 and 4 seats are leather with vinyl bolsters. Good news is you can order leather seats as an option with the SRT Viper, which is what I will do. Be interesting to see the price---My guess is about 1500 for leather. More guessing....100K for the SRT, 4K for stripes, extra cost paint 750, 1500 gas guzzler. For the SRT I want about 108K plus shipping and sales tax. We'll know for sure in a couple of months.

Bill

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By cloth, they mean vinyl. I believe Gen 3 and 4 seats are leather with vinyl bolsters. Good news is you can order leather seats as an option with the SRT Viper, which is what I will do. Be interesting to see the price---My guess is about 1500 for leather. More guessing....100K for the SRT, 4K for stripes, extra cost paint 750, 1500 gas guzzler. For the SRT I want about 108K plus shipping and sales tax. We'll know for sure in a couple of months.

Bill

Well using your figures that puts the car at about 120K delivered in my neck of the woods (8.75% sales tax), so a GTS at 140K delivered is not out of the ballpark.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This car won't pull any Porsche owners to speak of. This is going down the same path as the Jeep SRT8, which is not exactly flying off the shelves. It's slower than the competition, it's over priced for what it is, and SRT is full of excuses. I like Ralph and respect what he has done, but there is a reason he is CEO. He knows how to spin and bull****. Basically the attitude is you get enough for your money, it doesn't need to beat the competitors because it's cheaper. Some BMW, Mercedes, and Porsche SUV owners jumped ship for about 2 months, now their SRT8s are up for sale. Most of these guys want the prestige that comes with the brand. The Viper does not have that. The FGT, limited or not, does have that. It has an even more aggressive road presence than the Ferrari, and no compromises were made. It's a full blown exotic with a old pedigree. Sure us Viper enthusiast love the racing "history", but to the non-die-hards it's nothing special.

With the Viper, if they price it above $120k optioned out I think it will hurt sales, a lot. Sure some owners will jump ship in the beginning, but when the newness wears off they're gone. Targeting Porsche owners is a terrible idea. They are some of the most brand loyal enthusiasts out there. Optioned out $119,999 should be the max.

garetjax1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This car won't pull any Porsche owners to speak of. This is going down the same path as the Jeep SRT8, which is not exactly flying off the shelves. It's slower than the competition, it's over priced for what it is, and SRT is full of excuses. I like Ralph and respect what he has done, but there is a reason he is CEO. He knows how to spin and bull****. Basically the attitude is you get enough for your money, it doesn't need to beat the competitors because it's cheaper. Some BMW, Mercedes, and Porsche SUV owners jumped ship for about 2 months, now their SRT8s are up for sale. Most of these guys want the prestige that comes with the brand. The Viper does not have that. The FGT, limited or not, does have that. It has an even more aggressive road presence than the Ferrari, and no compromises were made. It's a full blown exotic with a old pedigree. Sure us Viper enthusiast love the racing "history", but to the non-die-hards it's nothing special.

With the Viper, if they price it above $120k optioned out I think it will hurt sales, a lot. Sure some owners will jump ship in the beginning, but when the newness wears off they're gone. Targeting Porsche owners is a terrible idea. They are some of the most brand loyal enthusiasts out there. Optioned out $119,999 should be the max.

I have to respectfully disagree... I've had three Porsches, and after owning an amazing 997 911 turbo (610hp, ceramic brakes, etc.), I decided that while the car was great, it just didn't seem very unique, even after a bunch of aftermarket mods and what not. You see 911s everywhere. And, with Porsche attempting to be the European version of GM, I feel the brand cachet is being diluted. I sold my 911 last year because I wanted something a little more unique, and a little more raw. There were three cars that were on my short list to replace the 911, and they were: a low-mileage F430 or Gallardo Superleggera, and the next-gen Viper. Porsche is a great brand, and they make great cars, but after having owned three, I was ready to move on.

The story behind the Gen V against the backdrop of what was going on in the Auto industry really appeals to me. I love the passion behind the skunk-works effort by Gilles & co. While I do hope they make pricing competitive I think they have a great product on their hands (assuming it lives up to the hype and the pricing isn't obscene). Personally, my only reservations around buying a Gen V are that an ACR option isn't available immediately, and having to deal with SRT/Chrysler dealers after the excellent experiences I've had with Porsche dealers.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard from a respectable dealer the fully loaded GTS could reach near 150k. Even at that price its half of many super cars comparable in performance. Wonder how many wrecked photos we well see here six months after deliveries.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard from a respectable dealer the fully loaded GTS could reach near 150k. Even at that price its half of many super cars comparable in performance. Wonder how many wrecked photos we well see here six months after deliveries.

Near $150k!!!!??? Listen, I understand being proud, but holy hell! I think the $120k price optioned out hits the spot. If they want $150k... GLWS.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i bet it will be close to 137k.............. in canadian dollars loaded

I'd go even higher, north of 140K for us canadian suckers! When the Vette ZR1 came out , they were marked up to 145K in Vancouver and took years to bring that price down. I ain't buying a new one, keeping my ancient 99 GTS, passing it on to my son when I'm no longer driving.

Ps; found this in the local CL. Wonder what the price difference, Canada vs US for the Fiat Abarth? I'll bet it's close to 10K http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pml/ctd/3108650391.html

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am amazed at some of the conclusions in this thread about owners of other vehicles and the Viper. A blanket statement that Porsche owners or others will not be coming this direction seems based on personal opinion with no real establishment in fact. The Jeep SRT8 is a great example, as after 22 years in the Automotive business I have never seen so many imports being traded in on a vehicle ( and the Grand Cherokee too ). We have taken in three X5s ( one was a 2012 M Edition) , numerous Range Rovers , Lexuses, and Mercedes SUVs. I know other Dealers who have been surprised by the influx of competitive trades and this seems to be occurring with the new Viper.

We have quite a few Porsche owners, Corvette owners, etc. who not only want the new Viper , but have put deposits down -- we even have two Ferrari owners with deposits on 2013s. With the phone calls and emails , there is a very strong contingent of non Viper owners calling and asking questions. I will be very surprised if once we have satisfied the VCA members other Viper owners if the balance of the 2013 build is not picked up by completely new owners. With 1300 plus new Vipers sold just since 1999, I have personally never seen as much interest in Vipers from outside sources, while still seeing tremendous interest from Viper faithful.

Sorry if this seems a bit blunt , no offense meant, but the reality we are seeing is much different than what some want to present, and though everyone's opinion is open on the Forum, what is happening appears to me a quantum difference. I see the VCA growing in 2013 , as many will be first time members.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Problems are:

1. On the new GC SRT8 is that most Colorado dealers have the market adjustment "****" sticker of 20% overcharge slapped on so there are quite a few sitting around presently, which is their own doing.
2. Old crap 5 speed automatic tranny is major hold back for new GC SRT8 owners. It really is a POS and the weak link holding me back from a new one. Well, that and more power like the mysterious blower pack option.
3. Dealer support for the new 2013 is a concern, especially in Colorado, where there is none present.
4. The business model for SRT has changed and is definitely upper/upper middle class white collar demographic for new. So is new 2013 Viper if looking at new.

Pluses are:

1. New SRT 2013 SRT/GTS is an amazing car which WILL pull from other luxury/exotic brands heavily. It fixes all the short comings of the earlier kit-car-like GENs and hits the luxury exotic crowd head on with a projected price that is in the depreciation level of many ultra exotics owner's cars after a couple of years with their current exotics and is just high enough upgrade from other hi-po currently so it is the right car at the right time, even at the right price (as much as people like me can not own one now). Right price for the existing majority of VCA crowd, "no" but for the new owners to the 2013, "resounding yes".
2. Those with that certain level $100K to $150K cash in their wallet are still out there regardless of recession as even the ultra rich will feel "thrify" with the new GEN V as opposed to a new exotic. It will sell in that crowd all day long so that is good for production.
3. Hopefully it will increase exposure and value for all GENs through more owners out there.
4. Better product comes out every year.

The Viper crowd will go through a change here. Ultra expensive and more exotic GEN V versus expensive GEN IV, versus moderate expensive GEN III/GEN II versus cheaper GEN I. Each has a distinct faction. It is similar to a lot of other brands like Saleen, etc. Do you think S7 owners truly acknowledge the other Saleen models, like a Saleen Focus or even Mustangs? Nope but this is car business and SRT is in place to make business/profit no matter what the marketing schemes want you to believe.

The only good thing is this higher end crowd tends to be more finicky and move from car to car a lot more often. For those thrify used Viper owners (like I hope to be now), it means a low mileage used GEN V will be more in my price range in the near future. That is good for most and helps SRT out as the original car sold in the first place. It is win, win for everyone.

My only concern is a used exotic or muscle car scares me as you just never know what you get or how someone drove it. Most always seems to be problems that creep up as opposed to owning it new. Wish I had the money to still play!

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This makes a lot of sense. The new car retains a lot of what current owners love about Vipers while addressing the issues that have kept away the people who would have otherwise bought one in the past. I think the ZR1 broke into this market successfully and the Viper will do even better with more exclusivity and lower production.

I am amazed at some of the conclusions in this thread about owners of other vehicles and the Viper. A blanket statement that Porsche owners or others will not be coming this direction seems based on personal opinion with no real establishment in fact. The Jeep SRT8 is a great example, as after 22 years in the Automotive business I have never seen so many imports being traded in on a vehicle ( and the Grand Cherokee too ). We have taken in three X5s ( one was a 2012 M Edition) , numerous Range Rovers , Lexuses, and Mercedes SUVs. I know other Dealers who have been surprised by the influx of competitive trades and this seems to be occurring with the new Viper.

We have quite a few Porsche owners, Corvette owners, etc. who not only want the new Viper , but have put deposits down -- we even have two Ferrari owners with deposits on 2013s. With the phone calls and emails , there is a very strong contingent of non Viper owners calling and asking questions. I will be very surprised if once we have satisfied the VCA members other Viper owners if the balance of the 2013 build is not picked up by completely new owners. With 1300 plus new Vipers sold just since 1999, I have personally never seen as much interest in Vipers from outside sources, while still seeing tremendous interest from Viper faithful.

Sorry if this seems a bit blunt , no offense meant, but the reality we are seeing is much different than what some want to present, and though everyone's opinion is open on the Forum, what is happening appears to me a quantum difference. I see the VCA growing in 2013 , as many will be first time members.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Bill. Opinions are like a######s. Everyone has one. It never ceases to amaze me that some who post seem to completely ignore the fact that in depth marketing studies are done by the manufacturer that utilize far more data and budget than any of us key board jockies have at our disposal. Chrysler sales are way up so they must be doing something right. I have had many non Viper owners ask me about the new Viper and, for the first time, there is a new tone of respect and admiration regarding the car. I belive that this is based on the rave reviews issued by the automotive press and the obvious improvement in fit and finish that shows in the photos of the car that appeared in New York.

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"1. On the new GC SRT8 is that most Colorado dealers have the market adjustment "****" sticker of 20% overcharge slapped on so there are quite a few sitting around presently, which is their own doing.
"
IMHO, if Dante were alive today, he would have a special place in Hades for this kind of dealer. They add absolutely no value to the ownership experience. They add no value to the product. They are a blight on the industry. They do not deserve customers. Nor do they deserve the privilege of selling a Viper. I fear that this kind of dealer may damage the Viper launch. I don't know how SRT can do it, but if at all possible, I hope this kind of dealer never has a Viper to sell. :mad:

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In all likelyhood they won't. Some GM dealers in the Denver area were slapping a +$10,000 premium on the C6 Z06 and ZR1 when they first came out. It usually takes them a couple years before they wake up. This practice is not uncommon around the country. Some of the newly contracted sports stars are more than happy to pay huge premium.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21