Gen V Price???

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just pray your new Gen 5 with all the new electronic systems doesn't need servicing.
That's my biggest problem with any viper under warranty. There is no one qualified and trustworthy to fix them.
It's not like that with Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche and other top names. They can work on any model.
I wouldn't let my local dodge dealer put air in my tires.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just pray your new Gen 5 with all the new electronic systems doesn't need servicing.
That's my biggest problem with any viper under warranty. There is no one qualified and trustworthy to fix them.
It's not like that with Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche and other top names. They can work on any model.

Dude, it's funny you say that, I took wheels and tires in for mounting and TPMS setup, got home, went to the Moparpalooza for the genV party and when leaving the ride was feeling off, I checked and all my tires were at 45 psi!! So I agree, can't even trust they can inflate the tires correctly. Just sad.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I believe these sentiments will play a huge role in the Gen V's success.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
really Think about it.... Has the economy realy picked up that much to justify bringing this car back? Sure you have a base of Viper owners (20% ??) that are willing and ready to upgrade but, the 100-120K puts it way out of reach of most. After the Viper community jumps all over it, whose really left that will buy it? They say they want to go after a new market... would love to see (the data) who the marketing gurus at SRT think that new market is... Again, subtract the Viper community upgrades and do you have one of the worst sellers of all time on your hands? (economy)... It will be interesting to see how this (sales) plays out...

Newport, you could not say it any better.

QUICKSRT10/SRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't care what the price is really but I'd definatly buy the GTS model. Can't buy one tho unless I sell or pay off my 2012 SRT jeep

pathoguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pricing above 130K will turn some people off. It will also turn some on. Some folk are attracted by a higher price. It keeps out the riff-raff. It helps to ensure exclusivity and has nothing to do with value. In the rarified atmosphere of the supercar, many are more prestige conscious than price conscious.

Last edited:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pricing above 130K will turn some people off. It will also turn some on. Some folk are attracted by a higher price. It keeps out the riff-raff. It helps to ensure exclusivity and has nothing to do with value.

A lot more off than on.
Pricing it like an exotic doesn't make it one.

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

BINGO!!!:2tu:

My wife says OK on a Gen V, my financial guy says lets wait until they're out to see what things look like in a few months, and my STOMACH says, is there a dealer nearby that I would trust to service the car? That's the basic ingrediant to the ownership experience.

So, my job is to visit dealers in the area, looking at what they carry, SRTs for sure. Are they market adjustment pigs? How do they treat people who come in "just looking?" Are their salespersons whose knowledge exceeds their greed? Is their service department respected? Do they have a Viper certification? Will they be one of the 15 to 20% of the Chrysler dealer network who will end up being SRT dealers?

I am very nervious about the whole local dealer service experience thing.:omg:

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you tell us where you live maybe someone here can help you with your search.

BINGO!!!:2tu:

My wife says OK on a Gen V, my financial guy says lets wait until they're out to see what things look like in a few months, and my STOMACH says, is there a dealer nearby that I would trust to service the car? That's the basic ingrediant to the ownership experience.

So, my job is to visit dealers in the area, looking at what they carry, SRTs for sure. Are they market adjustment pigs? How do they treat people who come in "just looking?" Are their salespersons whose knowledge exceeds their greed? Is their service department respected? Do they have a Viper certification? Will they be one of the 15 to 20% of the Chrysler dealer network who will end up being SRT dealers?

I am very nervious about the whole local dealer service experience thing.:omg:

garetjax1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pricing above 130K will turn some people off. It will also turn some on. Some folk are attracted by a higher price. It keeps out the riff-raff. It helps to ensure exclusivity and has nothing to do with value. In the rarified atmosphere of the supercar, many are more prestige conscious than price conscious.

I think I would be willing to pay in the 130s for the ACR edition. IMO that is somewhat comparable to the Porsche equivalent (911 GT3) from a pricing standpoint. Paying that much for the GTS would leave a slightly unsettled feeling in my stomach, knowing that a more aggressive version was coming out at some point.

Though that said, people haven't really talked about how options will factor into pricing. I think that if the SRT comes in around 100k, and the GTS a little north of 110k, it really is up to the purchaser what the final price point is, due to how they option the car. If a fully optioned car comes in around 140k that doesn't seem completely unreasonable given that you can add 50k worth of options to a 911 without breaking a sweat. I personally know that I don't want stripes (heresy, perhaps) and I'm on the fence about the track package, and carbon exterior package.

I guess what I am saying is that I would rather have the possibility of a wide range of options with the potential for a higher 'maxed' out price as I doubt most people would fully exercise each and every individual option out there. Maybe they would, I'm just guessing on my part...

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't even get tires changed at my local dealer. Their machine won't do any wide rims over 8". They'll be happy to sell you a Viper though, just not service it. Sure doesn't instill confidence in someone buying a 100k plus car let alone working on my crappy, old 97 GTS. Unless corporate addresses the problem publicly , after the newness of the Gen V wears off there is a good possibility it will be a slow mover just due to the fact of lack of dealer support. Ask a Porsche owner about full service on their vehicle, the dealer network is solid.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think $40k is too much of a delta in cost for content from the base model (making some assumptions) as some others previously guessed and leaning towards the $20k or so.. delta as some suggested.

So this is my life designing and manufacturing cars, working on piece costs, many of you surely would not want to know what cost the OEM buys parts from the supplier are and then the mark-up.. These guestimates are based on low volume and an opinion... done a bunch of high end stuff in my career too, designing cars (with lots of carbon fiber) that cost upwards of $600k to $2M each (full carbon fiber chassis, etc..).

If both have carbon fiber clamshells, price difference to manufacture would be $100~. Only difference is that the hood has more openings more plastic grille inserts and a bit less carbon fiber than the base model, each plastic grille insert would be around $20 each plus assembly labour. A bit more complexity in the the carbon fiber tooling if there's some undercuts, but tooling cost would be very similar. Total clamshell cost from the supplier, would guess around $15k. It would use the same hinges / latch hardware.

Extra exposed carbon fibre parts, like the rear applique, guessing would be around $2k compared to molded plastic which would be around $150. The side diff cooling inlet ducts, guessing probably around $400 each in exposed carbon fiber compared to plastic that would be $30 each. One thing about additional exposed carbon fiber cost is the clearcoat. To meet the OEM specs of UV exposure durability, the clearcoat for exposed carbon fiber can cost a couple thousand a gallon, yes, it is that expensive. May as well add another $2k in other misc. exposed carbon fiber parts not knowing the content details.

Powertrain, is it the same?, if so no difference in cost, maybe some add on cosmetic bits, carbon fiber covers or whatever, maybe add another $2k to be safe if they change / add some functional stuff, different intake ducts, air boxes, exhaust or whatever..

Suspension / brakes, guessing a 3 / 4 way adjustable shock / damper setup, probably costs $2k from the supplier for all 4 corners assuming non-adjustable for the base model. Then brake rotors, will they go carbon ceramic is an unknown? (guessing yes)

Miscellaneous, guessing.... interior carbon fiber stuff, alcantara, wheels, carbon fiber x-brace, splitter, fog lamps, coolers, brake ducts, grille accents, etc.. tack on another $10k, and a unique heritage marketing mark-up fluff at minimum of another $2k just because it's a limited / special model.

In the end, I bet that the delta is going to be around $20k+.. overall (price difference) will be $110k for the base model to $130k (may be a bit more if they go with CC brake rotors). If anything less for either; I will be extremely impressed (due to the low volume production numbers), also need to note that this guessing is based on a volume over a projected number of years, and guessing that this Gen V model will be in production for 5 years minimum to compensate the investment in tooling..

Cheers,
Mike

PS.. have to emphasize that it's a damn good deal IF that's the price range compared to the previous generations with SMC panels, having aluminum doors too, it is a very good deal for either the SRT or GTS compared to the supercars that I previously worked on / designed...

Last edited:

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If both have carbon fiber clamshells, price difference to manufacture would be $100. Only difference is that the GTS has more openings more plastic grille inserts and a bit less carbon fiber, each plastic grille insert would be around $20 each plus assembly labour. A bit more complexity in the the carbon fiber tooling if there's some undercuts, but tooling cost would be very similar. Total clamshell cost from the supplier, would guess around $15k. It would use the same hinges / latch hardware.

You are describing the base model's hood. The GTS will have only two grill openings. If what you're saying is true, the GTS hood will be cheaper to make.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are describing the base model's hood. The GTS will have only two grill openings. If what you're saying is true, the GTS hood will be cheaper to make.

Sorry, mixed that up, fixed the typo... thanks, meant the other way around.... late night babbling...

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think $40k is too much of a delta in cost for content from the base model (making some assumptions) as some others previously guessed and leaning towards the $20k or so.. delta as some suggested.

So this is my life designing and manufacturing cars, working on piece costs, many of you surely would not want to know what cost the OEM buys parts from the supplier are and then the mark-up.. These guestimates are based on low volume and an opinion... done a bunch of high end stuff in my career too, designing cars (with lots of carbon fiber) that cost upwards of $600k to $2M each (full carbon fiber chassis, etc..).

If both have carbon fiber clamshells, price difference to manufacture would be $100~. Only difference is that the hood has more openings more plastic grille inserts and a bit less carbon fiber than the base model, each plastic grille insert would be around $20 each plus assembly labour. A bit more complexity in the the carbon fiber tooling if there's some undercuts, but tooling cost would be very similar. Total clamshell cost from the supplier, would guess around $15k. It would use the same hinges / latch hardware.

Extra exposed carbon fibre parts, like the rear applique, guessing would be around $2k compared to molded plastic which would be around $150. The side diff cooling inlet ducts, guessing probably around $400 each in exposed carbon fiber compared to plastic that would be $30 each. One thing about additional exposed carbon fiber cost is the clearcoat. To meet the OEM specs of UV exposure durability, the clearcoat for exposed carbon fiber can cost a couple thousand a gallon, yes, it is that expensive. May as well add another $2k in other misc. exposed carbon fiber parts not knowing the content details.

Powertrain, is it the same?, if so no difference in cost, maybe some add on cosmetic bits, carbon fiber covers or whatever, maybe add another $2k to be safe if they change / add some functional stuff, different intake ducts, air boxes, exhaust or whatever..

Suspension / brakes, guessing a 3 / 4 way adjustable shock / damper setup, probably costs $2k from the supplier for all 4 corners assuming non-adjustable for the base model. Then brake rotors, will they go carbon ceramic is an unknown? (guessing yes)

Miscellaneous, guessing.... interior carbon fiber stuff, alcantara, wheels, carbon fiber x-brace, splitter, fog lamps, coolers, brake ducts, grille accents, etc.. tack on another $10k, and a unique heritage marketing mark-up fluff at minimum of another $2k just because it's a limited / special model.

In the end, I bet that the delta is going to be around $20k+.. overall (price difference) will be $110k for the base model to $130k (may be a bit more if they go with CC brake rotors). If anything less for either; I will be extremely impressed (due to the low volume production numbers), also need to note that this guessing is based on a volume over a projected number of years, and guessing that this Gen V model will be in production for 5 years minimum to compensate the investment in tooling..

Cheers,
Mike

PS.. have to emphasize that it's a damn good deal IF that's the price range compared to the previous generations with SMC panels, having aluminum doors too, it is a very good deal for either the SRT or GTS compared to the supercars that I previously worked on / designed...

Hindsight quoting myself.... I wasn't too far off and impressed with the pricing that was announced. I'm still wondering if they will offer carbon ceramic brake rotors like on the ZR1 or which can be had as an option on the ZO6?

Cheers,
Mike

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21