gen2 vs gen3 looks yet again

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The whole "Looks like a Corvette" statement only applies to the side view of the gen IIIs IMHO.

I still like the looks of the GTS over the gen III (go figure) and sorry guys but the debate on which one looks better/more modern/more stylish/more anything is NEVER going to be solved here. Most guys like what they have better than the other cars.

Ron

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trying to figure out which generation Viper looks best is like deciding if you like Blondes, Brunettes or Red Heads best....personally, I think you need to have one of each (or more) to ever really be satisfied.

Of course I'm talking about different generations of Vipers ;)

Cheers,
George

hybrid1098

Viper Owner
Reaction score
blondes or brunettes???

umm... hmmm.... My hair will turn gray by the time I decide and I dont think neither the blonde nor the brunette will decide on me. :crazy2:

Unless I got both Vipers :rolaugh:

Oh waitI married a Brunette!

A recent post stated that feelings may be different 30 years from now and the Gen 2 at the moment looks dated. That is a true statement but as cars look more modern and more futuristic (Lexus LFA, Porsche Hybrid etc), the Gen 3 will start to look dated and the GTS will be a refreshing classic look that will stay timeless. (My own personal opinion).

Therefore, a blonde for short term and a brunette for keeps? :D

How about Pamela Anderson for the Gen 2 and Paris Hilton for the Gen 3. Pamela got the curves and the slick hood while Paris got the... hmm... sharp edges?

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the Gen 2 GTS :) Great shape :2tu:

Coupe's win every time, as I love the rear end and back window.

Nothing wrong with the Gen 3, its just not the car for me ;)

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok...i can defiently relate the gen two to pamala anderson..classic american t and a...id say the srt is more of a nicole kidman..not as much curve but oh so classy and ****

hybrid1098

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok...i can defiently relate the gen two to pamala anderson..classic american t and a...id say the srt is more of a nicole kidman..not as much curve but oh so classy and ****

Nicole is so tall and huge. Kiera Knightly perhaps? :D She needs to be sharp and jagged like the Viper hehe.

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
he he he....I get were your coming from but I still insist on nicole..But Im sure we would all agree on Pamala Anderson for the gen2...Big T and A with beautiful curves and starting to look old and dated now..(Joke)

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In the looks department I don't think it is subjective as people say. There are trends that are indicative of beauty in people, cars, homes, etc. People can obviously prefer something else but it won't reflect what most believe. Curves tend to not only look better on cars; they age better. The gen 3/4 doesn't flow like a gen 2; it lacks continuity. The new coupes have noth round and angular features which doesn't flow. The gen 2's lines completely flow from tail to hood. The audi r8, Vanquish, and new ferrari 599 (i think) are examples of flowing curves and continuity. Look at the nissan 350Z Vs the new 370Z....the 350 is considered much more beautiful due to the lack of angles/edges. Sure the gen 3/4 looks more modern; but that doesn't have anything to do with beauty in this particular example. Someone in 06 had a comparo of the BW 96 vs 06 coupe and it really didn't compare overall.

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still gonna have to disagree..But thats what this thread is for. I do think that if I had no idea what year the 96 and 06 were and had no idea about the power levels or interior ect. Just a simple 3/4 angle pic going from the front to the rear I would probally pich the gen2..

If the pic was taken directly from the front I would probally pick the gen 3..Directly from the rear probally the gen3. profile probally the gen2..

But the problem is that I have already had a gen2 and I know what the interior is like in comparison to the gen3. I know what the engine layout looks like in comparison to the gen3. I know what the brakes are like in comparison ect.

So while I completely get what you are saying and if I had nothing but a 3/4 front view picture of each how I might pic the gen2 as well not knowing anything else about the cars...

Back in 2006 I was faced with this decision.I had wrecked my 99 rt10 and was seeking a replacement. For 55K I could get a red 2003 srt10...Wich I thought just looked OK in pics but awesome in real life...Or I could get that 2002 bumble bee GTS I always wanted ( I tyhink it was only around 50K)..

I thought long and hard...But after checking out the srt's with their 19 inch wheels and push button start and beautiful intake manifold ect. No matter how awesome I thought the GTS bumble bee looked. I just couldnt imagine haveing the same interior/handling ect. as my 99 viper when I could upgrade to the srt10...

I honestly think that if I had never had the 99 rt10 I probally just would have got the bumble bee GTS...But it is what it is and thats why I made the srt10 choice..

I wrecked that srt10 and two years later had to make the choice agin between gen2 and gen3..But guess what. After now owning both. It was no choice at all. I knew I would replace it with an srt

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Notice that the Gen 3 did eventually get the ducktail spoiler and hardtop (faster) body style of the GTS.

There does seem to be a difference as far as so many people saying that they thought the Gen 3 was "wider and lower looking". I couldn't uderstand that comment. Trying to load my GTS onto a "standard" car trailer it wouldn't fit and I scatched the side sill trying. Gen 3 must be the same width. I did notice that the back of the Gen 3 has the large airgap under the trunk of the car and it seems that the air above the trunk was put under the trunk and the spare tire removed making the trunk of the Gen 3, 4 much higher. Raising the trunk higher into the car isn't the same as lowering the roof (or car) but there is definitely less vision in rear. I imagine rear vision is above my wife's head and eyes? The reason I never noticed this before was because I only really photographed the Gen 3 from the front and never really noticed much about the rear until reading all the "lower wider" opinions. But I did figure it out. The front looks higher off the ground that a Gen 2 and since there is no roof on a vert this Gen 3 is actually lower than the GTSs (no roof bubbles).

You must be registered for see images

Ted

hybrid1098

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Still gonna have to disagree..But thats what this thread is for. I do think that if I had no idea what year the 96 and 06 were and had no idea about the power levels or interior ect. Just a simple 3/4 angle pic going from the front to the rear I would probally pick PAMELA..

If the pic was taken directly from the front I would probally pick NICOLE..Directly from the rear probably NICOLE. profile probally Pamela..

But the problem is that I have already had PAMELA and I know what the "interior" :D is like in comparison to NICOLE. I know what the engine layout looks like in comparison to NICOLE. I know what the "brakes" are like in comparison ect.

So while I completely get what you are saying and if I had nothing but a 3/4 front view picture of each how I might pic Pamela as well not knowing anything else about the them...

Back in 2006 I was faced with this decision.I had "wrecked" Pamela hard and was seeking a replacement. For 55K I could get a red HEAD NICOLE...Which I thought just looked OK in pics but awesome in real life...Or I could get that 2002 bumble bee Blonde PAMELA I always wanted ( I think it was only around $50K)..

I thought "long and hard"...But after checking out the "Drop Tops" with their 19 inch "heels" and "push button start" and "beautiful intake man id like to fold" ect. No matter how awesome I thought bumble bee blonde PAMELA looked. I just couldnt imagine haveing the "same interior/handling" ect. as my now outdated PAMELA when I could upgrade to NICOLE...

I honestly think that if I had never had PAMELA #1, I probally just would have gotten the bumble bee blonde PAMELA 2 (after b--b j-b) ...But it is what it is and thats why I made the NICOLE choice..

I "wrecked" NICOLE and two years later had to make the choice again between PAMELA and NICOLE Version 3..But guess what, After now owning both. It was no choice at all. I knew I would replace it with another NICOLE

If you think about it, Nicole had Tom Cruise who's so short he inhales a different air than us. Pamela had Tommy Lee and boy I know her odometer is pretty high up there so I do feel ya on the "wrecked" part.

:drive:

Last edited:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Something to keep in mind is that there were only a few Gen 3 hardtops so nearly all SRTs are convertibles. Gen 2s were almost 50-50 verts and coupes.

Ted

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow..nice pics Ted...Cant really go wrong with any Viper...

I hope to one day see a pic with the gen1 and gen2 and gen3 and gen4 all lined up from differant angles...That would be really kool

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score

My car seemed to attract the most attention, but it has chromed wheels and the Venom spoiler really made a difference. I even bought a Venom spoiler from Larry Macedo (Macedo Motorsports) because they work and look great.

Ted

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow guys..These pics are simply awesome..the scenery is beautiful and the yellow/black stand off makes my heart skip a beat..

Ted..Call me crazy but the stock red srt10 from the front view still looks lower/wider to me than the two gts's....

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
wow guys..These pics are simply awesome..the scenery is beautiful and the yellow/black stand off makes my heart skip a beat..

Ted..Call me crazy but the stock red srt10 from the front view still looks lower/wider to me than the two gts's....

OK Twister, you're crazy. :lmao::lmao:

In all the pics the Gen 3 looks at least an inch higher off the ground. I notice that the Gen 2 hood slopes downward in front of the windshield and the Gen 3 must have a shorter windshield since the body is thicker. The Gen 3 being a rag top would have a shorter/thinner roof so I understand that although the car actually sits higher, it 'looks' lower. The fat asp also means that the trunk of the Gen 3 is well above the driver's shoulders while the Gen 2 has much more glass.

At the Conner Assy plant we were told that the Gen 2 windshield had a 50% failure rate so the Gen 3 was redesigned to replace the $30,000 hood and the high breakage Gen 2 windshields. Looking at these pics those cahnges are obvious. I wish they could have figured a way to build a cheap hood, but ... obviously there is people that like the little rear opening hood better.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I love the Black GTS, it often looks Sapphire! If you look at the nose to nose pic you'll see that the front bumpers are the same height, except that the Gen 2 has 1 1/2" chin spoiler underneath the nose.

Ted

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes that is an great pic and it's amazing how much they are still the same

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the new coupes do look "newer" but that doesn't really make a car look better. The GTS is really is a timeless design as it flows perfectly. I love how the doors curve out and down to the hood which then curves up then out again (if that makes sense). The gas cap placement is perfect and really adds to the look. The gen III was a much different design that later resembled the old GTS by creating the curves in the roof and aspects of the rear. It just doesn't have that timeless flow. It is angular and sharp which tends to be more modern (C6 Vs C5, 370Z Vs 350Z).

But when the next viper debuts, I imagine that it will make the Gen III/IV look "dated" but the Gen II will look just as classic due to the very original and uncompromising design. New cars are all about compromise and production; which the gen II never was about.

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I disagree again. IMO, this looks way better than a Gen III intake manifold. :2tu:

P9270299.JPG

What looks really good is a Gen 3 intake on a Gen 2 :D :

What I've noticed is that my Gen 3 gets a lot more attention than the Gen 2. That doesn't make it a better design, just makes it different. The Gen 2 I have gets attention because it has a parachute on it and is very loud:

Here is the SRT painted lambo balloon pearl white:

People will always love different things. I love them both about the same. I prefer to drive the SRT due to comfort. In this area, the SRT gets more comments/looks for sure.

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
can you post a pic were you can see the white srt10 and lambo both in the pic????

Also does your lambo get a lot more attention than your vipers???

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish those were my lambo's. That's a shot taken at Underground Racing. Given that my father raced for chrysler, if I brought a lambo home, the **** I'd hear would be endless. So not worth it. Although if I sell the blue car and the viper truck when ugr finishes it.........you never know

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know a lot of guys with GEN IIIs and fours that think GEN IIs and ones look better. I don't know anyone with a GEN II or ones that think the newer cars look better. The GEN I and II are just classic they got curves. The GEN I and twos are going to be the cars that we look at twenty years from now and just say wow. The curvy lines of a GTS is one of the best designs for an American car made. In fact I would say that the Ford GT is the best looking American car made since the 70s and the Viper GTS is a close second.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenomXX