Getting Arrow rebuild on my '00 GTS

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Getting Arrow rebuild on my \'00 GTS

I took my car to the dealership and after much diagnosing by their awesome Viper tech it was determined that the engine should go back to Arrow for a rebuild. Damn! Now I'm without my Viper for several weeks. :( The compression showed ok, but the leakdown test showed problems - most likely the ring issue related to the cylinder sleeves in early 2000's.

The dealership is finding out if Chrysler will pay to have the car trucked back to my house while the engine is getting rebuilt.

Other than getting the tracking number for the engine at Arrow is there anything else I should do? Also, while the car's apart is there any other maintenance I should have done? I was thinking of having them check the clutch out but since the car only has a little over 15k miles I assume it's ok.

BYT U L8R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Getting Arrow rebuild on my \'00 GTS

Several weeks. Is that what they told you?!?! Try 3-4 months...They are very back logged.

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Take off ALL after market goodies. Oil cap, polished throttle bodies, dip stick ect. Take pictures of the engine before and after it has been removed.
Among other things they kept a 20 mile old set of magnacores when mine went in.

Hockeysnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score

"most likely the ring issue related to the cylinder sleeves in early 2000's."

Was this still a problem for a build date of 6/00?

Wondering if I should keep an eye/ear out for anything.

OP
OP
M

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"most likely the ring issue related to the cylinder sleeves in early 2000's."

Was this still a problem for a build date of 6/00?

Wondering if I should keep an eye/ear out for anything.

From what I understand it only applies to the first 200 or so engines built for the 2000 model year - your car should not have this problem.

OP
OP
M

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Several weeks. Is that what they told you?!?! Try 3-4 months...They are very back logged.

They said they had been seeing about 5 weeks. 3-4 months will really ****!

OP
OP
M

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Take off ALL after market goodies. Oil cap, polished throttle bodies, dip stick ect. Take pictures of the engine before and after it has been removed.
Among other things they kept a 20 mile old set of magnacores when mine went in.

As the second owner, the only aftermarket stuff under the hood I know about is the smooth tubes and K&N. Other than that the engine is stock.

Sam 01 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mopar Man- Where did you take your car? Mine is at Desert Dodge right now for a new water pump. Brad the Viper tech there is pretty good. Hope they get it back to you soon, I hate not having my car even for a few days!
:(

newredrt10

Former VCA National President
Administrator
Reaction score

MorparMan

They're doing mine now. Its now been 5 weeks and I was just told its another two weeks before return. Have you asked about having forged pistons used for the rebuild.

OP
OP
M

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sam 01 RT10 - I took mine to Chapman Dodge. I had received recommendations for their Viper tech (Phil) from a couple of different sources. Also, I was never happy with the service department at Desert Dodge...too bad because they're alot closer to my house.

newredrt10 - That's bad news. I was hoping for 5-6 weeks at the most, but I should have known better. Right now we're waiting for the crate to show up at the dealership. BTW: I didn't know I could get them to put in the forged pistons in a warranty repair since my engine was built with the cast pistons.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's about time! Mine took 9 1/2 weeks in the winter '01 (lots of people wait till winter and they stack up), the dealer paid for my towing to and from my house. Get the work order # and when its done ask for a report on what was done, they kept telling me they couldn't get a report but I kept asking and finally got one. You will be amazed on what they replace.

VIPORXXX

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just got engine back from Arrow last week. Buhler Dodge is doing all
the warranty work. As I understand it, 2000 models built up till 11/99 had
a problem with the piston sleeves. I was blowing blue smoke on downshifts and burning alot of oil each track session 1 1/2 to 2 quarts every half hour!!!
All 10 spark plugs were also fouled. I was told about 5 weeks....took about 9 weeks. I plan to pick it up from Buhler tomorrow.
You can also call Todd at Arrow and get an "exception report" detailing all work
done. You can ask for a dyno sheet but your not likely to get one.
I was told by Todd my engine dyno'd 481.5 HP and 544 ft/lbs torque. I forgot off hand at what rpm's.
With your engine out it would be a great opportunity to detail the engine bay.
My tech recommended a new clutch and 180 thermostat. I also sprang for an
aluminum flywheel.

Fast Eddie

OP
OP
M

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You called up Arrow and got info using your work order number, right?

Hadn't thought about doing the flywheel...how much was the lightweight unit?

VIPORXXX

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No work order #. I just called Arrow, asked for Todd, told him my name and dealership name...he looked it up. He is a very nice guy and very helpful.

Can't remember the weight difference of the flywheel but I got it from Jon at the Partsrack. Its not the fidanza (?) its another he recommeded

Hockeysnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Mopar- Thanks for the info and I hope you get yours back in a reasonable time frame. Best of Luck.

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You called up Arrow and got info using your work order number, right?

Hadn't thought about doing the flywheel...how much was the lightweight unit?

I just got mine back about 3 weeks ago, car was at dealer for about 2 weeks until crate showed up and engine gone for just over 2 months and another week for re-install. So I was down 3 months, but well worth it, the power increase is very noticable.

For getting info from arrow, use the last 6 digits of your vin number, thats how they track it. If you give them the dealer name and state, they just have to go lookup the vin number.

OP
OP
M

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

2 weeks for the crate?!? They told me they'd have it this week - engine to be pulled within a couple days of getting the crate, etc, etc. The more I hear the more I'm realizing that 5 weeks is a bunch of b.s.!

Was your car in for the '00 cylinder sleeve issue or something else?

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They just took my engine out to send to Arrow. They told me that it would take 2 months because of the holidays. But it looks like our engines are going to be rebuilt together...lol

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score

2 weeks for the crate?!? They told me they'd have it this week - engine to be pulled within a couple days of getting the crate, etc, etc. The more I hear the more I'm realizing that 5 weeks is a bunch of b.s.!

Was your car in for the '00 cylinder sleeve issue or something else?

I have a 1997 GTS, I thought I had a revlimiter failure on the street during a race, but I blew main bearing, crank, rod and piston in #10 cylinder due to failed injector open, which on the down stroke continued to spray fuel and bang.....The only good thing was that I got everything brand new on the engine.

Expect 3 months + add 2 weeks as not much will get done the last 2 weeks of the year and dont be in a hurry for it to get back, as you will just be disappointed when its not back in 5 weeks.

OP
OP
M

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'll be disappointed no matter how long it takes. I've only had the car since May (after wanting one since '89). I guess the previous owner of the car just lived with the oil use problem until he got sick of it and traded the car in.

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I went to the Dodge dealer yesterday. The engine has already been shipped in the crate..that was quick cause the car went in there just last week. Also they are not going to ship my car back to my house..just going to put the bumper and hood on and leave it in a corner :crazy:

OP
OP
M

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I went to the Dodge dealer yesterday. The engine has already been shipped in the crate..that was quick cause the car went in there just last week. Also they are not going to ship my car back to my house..just going to put the bumper and hood on and leave it in a corner :crazy:

That's exactly my situation. The engine shipped off last Friday and the dealer won't pay to flatbed the car to my house. They've put it in an unused bay until the engine comes back.

On another note, I'm not in a huge rush now anyway since I tore my right triceps at the gym yesterday and couldn't drive the car even if it was all done.

VIPORXXX

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Got my Viper back last week after Arrow rebuild.
Todd at Arrow faxed to me a "Fix Report" and gave me
my dyno numbers. 382 HP at 5300 RPM and 544 FT/Lbs
torque at 3700 RPM :cool: :2tu: :headbang:
Guess you can tell I was pleased. ;)
It was worth the wait.

Fast Eddie :usa:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Got my Viper back last week after Arrow rebuild.
Todd at Arrow faxed to me a "Fix Report" and gave me
my dyno numbers. 382 HP at 5300 RPM and 544 FT/Lbs
torque at 3700 RPM :cool: :2tu: :headbang:
Guess you can tell I was pleased. ;)
It was worth the wait.

Fast Eddie :usa:
Isn't the HP low for a 2000, especially when compared to the TQ?

OP
OP
M

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Isn't that hp number low? 382 sounds ok for rwhp but not flywheel.

BTW: it's interesting that your car is black/silver and had the cyl sleeve problem too. That makes at least 3 black/silvers I've heard of with this issue.

WilBriK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"...I'm not in a huge rush now anyway since I tore my right triceps at the gym..."

Mopar,

This is off-topic, but can you describe how you tore your tricep (which exercise) and how it felt just before it happened?

The reason I ask is because for the last few months I've been getting a 'weird' feeling in my right tricep while working out - feels like cold water running over my muscle under the skin when I stress it, almost like I'm sweating inwardly - and I'm wondering if that is a warning that something bad is about to happen.

Thanks.

OP
OP
M

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"...I'm not in a huge rush now anyway since I tore my right triceps at the gym..."

Mopar,

This is off-topic, but can you describe how you tore your tricep (which exercise) and how it felt just before it happened?

The reason I ask is because for the last few months I've been getting a 'weird' feeling in my right tricep while working out - feels like cold water running over my muscle under the skin when I stress it, almost like I'm sweating inwardly - and I'm wondering if that is a warning that something bad is about to happen.

Thanks.

I'm gonna try this once more - the board threw away my last post presumably because it takes forever for me to type w/1 arm.

We were near the end of our wkout doing lying incline tri d/b ext. i was only using 50 lbs an arm - had easily done way more than this in the past. got to rep number 8 and on the way up there was a terribly disgusting ripping noise and sensation followed by an immediate loss of strength in the arm. the sound was about 1 sec in lngth and easil;y loud enough for my partner to hear and be disgustyed by. anyway the mri showec a complete tear of the tendon which reqd surgery and a graft to repair. arm is now straightcasted.

i forced myself thru pain at thr gym thru out my lifting career and ignoring the pain in my elbows finally bitr me in the butt. unkless you are looking to compete in bodybldg or powerlifting be careful.

i can not offer any valid advice on the sensation you are experierncing sinnce ihabve no similar exper. sounds like maybe a damaged nerve, however.

WilBriK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

MM,

Thanks for taking the time to type that response. I'm sure one-handing the keyboard is a PitA. For what it's worth, I injured my hand once and had to type left-handed for a few weeks, and I'm right-handed. I got up to about 15 WPM - you'll be surprised at how fast you adapt.

Best of luck with the arm.

OP
OP
M

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Luckily, I'm left handed but blew up my right tri. I hope you got the answer you were looking for. I ignored pain in both elbows for years of lifting and it finally bit me - be careful. As I said before it didn't take alot of weight to finally cause my tendon to apart - the 50's are light for me do d/b extensions...

kgrif

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I am benching 265 and after the bench I sometimes get what feels like tendenitis. Now you got me scared!!!!