!!$#&%#@$ GETTING CLOSER - 9.177 @ 149.71mph 12.5psi !!$#&%#@$

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went to Byron Drag way Saturday and picked up a couple more tenths. The only change we made in the Stryker TT was in the new 2 speed combination. Same DOT street slicks. Still at 3925lbs. I have yet to calculate all the data on each run, but I know we are somewhere between 12-13psi.

All the runs were at 12.5psi (+ or - .5psi for posting sake)

9.177 @ 149.71 mph
9.298 @ 149.07 mph
9.285 @ 149.66 mph
9.254 @ 148.82 mph

What I have learned personally is that I seem to do the best out of the box. When I go up and not think hard about it is when I get the best results. Thinking too much and trying to make corrections in my driving, I end up forgetting the feel of the first run and overcorrecting (up the rpm at launch, lower the rpm at launch, shift earlier, shift later, more throttle at the launch, less throttle at the launch). There are so many combinations and decisions that happen so quick that I believe I need to go to Drag racing school to understand what the hell I’m really supposed to be thinking about or feeling.

Granted the hookup in the first run was a 1.421 60ft. and really felt well, I actually pulled a 1.377 60ft. in the 2nd run but also tried to shift earlier. The announcer told my father that I seemed to slightly breathe in the throttle when I shifted and probably just blew a high 9.0. The other 2 runs were a 1.459 60ft and a 1.432.

We are figuring out the combinations and gathering good data.

The air was perfect (around 40 degrees) but the traction was difficult to chase.

Chasing the tenths in drag racing is different than chasing the tenths in road racing. Like the track announcer said, "Going from a 9 to an 8 in a car like this, with the weight, is like jumping across the Grand Canyon".

So far we are a half second quicker, with a heavier car and running less psi than the previously held record. Keep on truckin! :2tu:

jR. :usa: :usa: :usa:

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's f'ing sick.. blech!!! :laugh:

Going from a nine to an eight in a car like that is actually just turning up the boost! (umm, wish it was that easy!)

snoop_todd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Amazing job. Can't wait to see the video of that run. I've got my fingers crossed that you'll soon do a 8 with boost only.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Amazing job. Can't wait to see the video of that run. I've got my fingers crossed that you'll soon do a 8 with boost only.

Wow - there's some serious power there - if you get the weight down to what the others are running - those runs were all solid 8's. It's the weight holding you back. Even so - given more runs - you'll do an 8 even near 4000lb and that takes some muscle! It also takes a bullet proof driveline!!!!

Put the car on a diet - it'll be even better plus easier on the gear. :2tu:

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: !!$#&%#@$ GETTING CLOSER - 9.177 @ 149.71mph 12.5psi !!$#&%#@$

Jr, Nice Job!

What you need now is the fear of god in you with me sitting in the lane next to you knowing you have to do your best to..... wait, that is just in my dreams......

Congrats on the reality of consistent low nines!

P.S. If you need someone to turn up the boost knob to 15-16 PSI, just let me know! I'll give the Spinal Tap '11' a whole new meaning!

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I blame the 2 speed for the non 8 performance, but give it props for the consistacny.

I would bet on the Shift RPM for the 10th you need.

What rpms are you hitting in each gear across the line?

Lets match this up with your dyno graphs.

Others sugest weight, and more boost, but I think there is more to gain in the shifting rpm

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
excuse my ignorance, but why does that car weigh nearly 4000 pounds?

nice runs. :laugh:

Eddie

JR's been eating too much of that Chicago pizza.

but seriously, look at all those gadgets in there. My understanding is that this is the same car they did the high speed runs in so maybe the extra stuff (safety equipment) involved with that type of racing accounts for the extra weight.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WAY TO GO JR!!!
Congrats on Chasing down that 9.0 - 8.9 sec run! Given time you and Sr. will knock down all the records Cheers,

Jay K.

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jr. That is truely amazing. I am very happy for you. Even with our rocky past I find myself "proud" of what you and your father have accomplished. Keep up the good work and you will see an 8 soon.

OP
OP
S

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jr. That is truely amazing. I am very happy for you. Even with our rocky past I find myself "proud" of what you and your father have accomplished. Keep up the good work and you will see an 8 soon.

Gary,

Thanks for the openminded outlook. Maybe we will sit down at an event somewhere soon and have a little "Ben and Jerry's Rocky Past" and top it off with some "Piston Pumping Proud Pecan". Don't worry about it I'm buying! :cool:

We have been working mainly on the torque converter with the gearing we have. Our rpm did increase on this latest set of runs and you can hear it when crossing the line. With all the data we have recorded we can calculate a torque converter setting for other Vipers at any power level that want to go the 2 speed route. We are interested in helping owners with this package and know that having the ability to switch from the 6 speed to the 2 speed for drag racing is very rewarding. Switching back to the 6 speed is quite easy.

We are offering this package installed complete for 13,850 The first 2 Vipers that are interested will receive a 10% discount. Our goals are to install 2 systems at our shop mainly for final fit and finish around the interior shifter area. They will leave looking like they came OEM and you don’t have to worry about any smoke coming up through the tunnel!

Even for the street you will find the 2 speed auto to deliver instant power with solid drivability. I noticed that a daily driver Corvette has frequented the board that pulled a 9.90 and I believe he was running a 2 speed. I’m quite sure consistency and reliability is a question in everyone’s minds and the 2 speed auto has delivered both in our testing.

We have 30 hrs figured in installation and all the custom pieces necessary to complete the system. Once we have finalized a complete package we will distribute them to other installers. We can have 2 ready for the V10 Nationals and I think 1 might already be spoken for on a SC Viper. :headbang:

………back to the regular scheduled post………

The vids are large and downloading is the best way to retrieve, unless you have a superfast connection for streaming. Enjoy!

Side angle view (14meg)

In car view (16meg)

jR :usa: :usa: :usa:

Reaction score
Jr. Nice times. Glad to see things are working out for you. I hope you all come to the Nationals. I am pretty sure you can break into the 8's very soon. Have you considered utilizing a staged boost set up. This way you can maximize traction down low and run some higher boost on the big end. What is the maximum RPM you turn the engine? I would also be curious to know what RPM you are crossing the line at. Good Job. You should have the record soon. Just watch out for a Nitrous car with a glide. You never know what will happen next. :)

MbnViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrast! SVS awesome numbers and beautiful turbo setup :headbang: you make me scream TT :2tu: wondering by using the stock 6speed how much you expect to lose in E.T time ? i assume you will gain more MPH and lose some E.T right ?

Reaction score
Something you might want to try is putting the new SRT intake on your motor, ported and polished of course. You will lose a little bottom end torque but you will pick that up on the top end and be able to extend your power range a few hundered RPM. I am sure you don't have a torque problem anyway. That with a little more torque converter tweaking with some gearing and a little higher boost in 2nd gear will bring you an 8.

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something you might want to try is putting the new SRT intake on your motor, ported and polished of course. You will lose a little bottom end torque but you will pick that up on the top end and be able to extend your power range a few hundered RPM. I am sure you don't have a torque problem anyway. That with a little more torque converter tweaking with some gearing and a little higher boost in 2nd gear will bring you an 8.

The SRT intake is worse than the Gen II's. I am making more N/A power (650 rwhp) than similar set-up SRT's due to the new intake restrictions.

OP
OP
S

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jr. Nice times. Glad to see things are working out for you. I hope you all come to the Nationals. I am pretty sure you can break into the 8's very soon. Have you considered utilizing a staged boost set up. This way you can maximize traction down low and run some higher boost on the big end. What is the maximum RPM you turn the engine? I would also be curious to know what RPM you are crossing the line at. Good Job. You should have the record soon. Just watch out for a Nitrous car with a glide. You never know what will happen next. :)

Hey thanks man,

I'm sure there's some top secret work going on right now that will make for a interesting V10 Nationals. If those RSI guys are running low 9's with the 6, I would imagine they might have a auto in the works. JH has been quiet and I'm sure the kettle is bubbling with some plans to adapt and overcome. Sure hope we can make it there. ;) :2tu:

Jr.

Hey how much time does it take you guys to download these Vids?

Reaction score
See Anthony here is the issue. A fully worked SRT intake will make more power on the top end. You will lose some torque, but when you are racing you usually are only below 4000 RPM at the beginning of the race. So the majority you are spending above 4000 RPM. I am sure you knew this.

On a boosted application a short runner intake will make more top end power than the long runner intake and extend the power band.

I am sure there is someone out there moding the new intake to take care of some of the restrictions.

OP
OP
S

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SVS is already running a short runner intake they fabbed

Do you know this to be fact or is this something that came from the National Enquirer?

Man, those mags will feed you entrails and tell you its spaghetti. :rolleyes: Just so they can sell a ton of crap :D basically themselves.

No offense Kepright, but don't believe everything you read. If you want the truth you need to go to the source.

Jr.

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could have sworn when I asked about the intake awile back you mentioned that you had tried several and ended up with the lower section of the mopar short runner and a fabbed upper section. Not correct?

OP
OP
S

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could have sworn when I asked about the intake awile back you mentioned that you had tried several and ended up with the lower section of the mopar short runner and a fabbed upper section. Not correct?

We are running the stock intake manifold on the turbo car. We did however install a custom fabricated intake on a SC Viper. At one time we were trying to use the configuration you speak of, but no longer. :headbang:

When I gather info and learn if it is acceptable to post(You know all tuners have a level of what information they are willing to release)then I put it up on the board. I believe that I have tried to release great amounts of what it is that we do. :2tu:
Jr.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21