" Good " Viper ?

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
\" Good \" Viper ?

1995 Viper RT/10 ( Green Color )

I want to know fi anyone has checked this car out. I am nto sure how many times ( if any ) this one has been researched. If you have any info, i would greatly appreciate it. Thing is, it seems like and awesome deal...so why is it not sold???

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Perhaps it is not sold because it is waiting on the Cisco Kid to rescue it from the evil bandito.

OP
OP
F

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Graphite: You have no idea how true ( and "close" to reality ) that statement is...lol I am just not sure if there is something wrong with it...or is it because of high miles...?

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Cisco, I'm serious, I can hardly wait until you turn the key of your own Viper. Just to see the look on your face.
I just wish that my dad had grabbed me by the collar, kicked me in the groin and said, "Son, it's time for you to be a man - go buy a Viper". (He bought me a Vette for college graduation. Why, dad, why?)

S

SUN RA KAT

Re:

That green RT-10 looks beautiful. I'd have a VCA member that lives near where it is take a looky-see for you. If it passes his inspection, get your checkbook out. I think how the car was taken care of is more important than the miles on it. Matter-of-fact, if the car was a '95 Viper and didn't have a fair number of miles on it, I'd worry about the sanity of the owner for not driving it.

OP
OP
F

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \" Good \" Viper ?

I am very optomistic on the possibility of a Viper in the relatively near future. Why? I am joining a couple of Temp. Agencies. ONe in particular is a HUGE Nationwide one. What makes it better, is I have a referance form two friends ( manager and HR person ) from one of their major contractors. They told me to mention them. The jobs that they offer locally ( according to the meeting I had with them ) are exactly what I need and would more then pay for the Viper. ( I calculated that even financing $20,000 - more then I would need to ) Would cost me less then $450 a month at a higher rate. So yeah...this is gonna happen...and it might happen pretty damn soon...NO PROMISES THOUGH...lol

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

We are all pulling for you Cisco!! :2tu:

We want Video of your 1st drive after you take over title!! :D

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Get your priorities straight :
- get a good job & career
- earn some money
- invest in things that generate money
- from the proceeds of that buy toys...

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with Yves on this. The smart thing to do would be to wait.

You are in no position to buy a car and insurance that you can just barely afford.

You need to work hard for a few years, saving what you can, investing what you can, getting a financial foothold on life.
An expensive car will stunt your financial growth. The requirement to make that car payment every month will limit your options, tie you down so to speak, at a time when flexibility might be required.

Some of these rich kids on here may not have the same financial realities in their lives. Keep that in mind when they give advice.

By the way, I can't find the green 95 in the classifieds.

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Looked at my post again. Didn't want to sound rude, my apologies. Was under time pressure.
Just wanted to get another point of view accross.

Maybe I am conservative from a financial point of view, but it just feels good to know that despite what ever happens to my Viper, this will hardly influence my financial situation.
It's a toy and I love it dearly. If I loose it (theft, fire), the emotional pain will be way harder than the financial one. That's the way it should be when dealing with 'toys'.

TomH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re:

You've earned a Viper so get the damm car. Pay it off as soon as you can and enjoy, I wish I had a Viper at your age. The green one does look pretty good.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Slow market could be the reason. I had a pristine 99 ACR that took 6 months to sell and it was priced right with only 27,000 miles.

OP
OP
F

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Ok, I know I have bull$hitted a lot in the past but I ask this in 100% honesty. If I were to get a job relatively soon, would this be a good first buy? Or are there things about this car, or any higher mileage Vipers I should be wary of?

patgilm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Too bad you didn't jump on the red one posted a while ago for $27k. That was a steal although the green one you mentioned looks pretty good.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Hey Francisco,

That's just it, never mind the just getting a job part, it's the getting established part that is more important.

Maybe the concern for your situation is heightened a touch as so many of us on here have watched your posts fly past a 1000 in under a year and we feel like we know ya!! That's a good thing.

Smart money would be to get into the job, starting topping up your 401 (RRSP over here) and then pick up a few investment properties (my route) or other income producing ventures on the side.

Let them pay for the Viper, these are not cheap cars to run. I would say I put a $1000 a month into mine just driving it with no financing. Keep that in mind.

For a real sobering note, figure that buying a Viper right now before getting your retirement accounts and other foundations in gear would cost you in the 7 figure range at retirement time. Sad, but true.

Surely not what you want to hear, it's only out of concern!

OP
OP
F

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

lol...No problem man. Fact is ( whether people my age like it or not ) need to hear every bit of advice. This is even more important for the " bad news ". Now, I have figured this more then people my age ( or even older people ) may have. I already have ( as mentioned ) a lot of money in the bank. I will also be living at home for the next year or so. ( It's a big house and i got my own " apartment "...lol )

I will pay for about 10g in cash and finance the 15g or 20g left. Making even 1g a month would more then cover the finance charges. And the jobs I am going for ( and will more then likely get ) pay at least double that. Even after all this I would have more then enough in the bank to cover any and all expenses related and unrelated to the Viper. It is a smarter choice to finance a bit more now and keep a large chunk in the bank. In the end I would at most pay 3g in finance premiums. That is doable especially since the financing would be for about 4 years ( maybe 5 but not definet ).

However, the truth still remains that a job is necessary before I even go to the bank for financing. I have to be ( at the very least ) financially stable enough to afford the finance charges without having to go into bank account for financial security. Right now I am seriously looking into buying a Viper. I am close to getting a job as literally as soon as i do, I can afford finance charges, as well as put away $200 - $300 a month to the bank. But yeah 1) Job - 2) save a bit 3) buy a Viper...lol

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Jeez,
I don't really want to keep after you about this but I feel like it's in your interest.

The job you get may not last.
The Viper payment will.

If you have a Viper and no job, even for a few months, you will probably screw your credit for a very long time.

Don't do it. Get your financial house in order first. I mean real order.
For starters own some things first. Own and live in a house of some kind that is worth more than you owe on it.

Have enough money in the bank or in very liquid assets so that you can survive more than six months without a good job. Hear that, a GOOD job.
You may start off with a good job but if it tanks, how long will it take to find another?

How many guys on this board have you seen trying to unload a Viper that they could no longer afford? Sad to see that but it is on here all the time.

Don't listen to the nonsense you are getting from some of the guys on the board.

Many of them are beyond the point where the cost of a Viper means much to them.

Many of them are rich kids who know that Daddy will take care of them if they screw up.

Many of them are young guys who have made it their own way. You just might do that too but you don't hear anything from the ones that tried and didn't so I wouldn't bet the farm on being one of them.

What I'm telling you here is to protect yourself. I'm an old guy and my advice probably seems really conservative. I hope you listen to it anyway.

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

I'm going to have to disagree with Yives, Cisco - GO FOR IT!
For yrs I was conservative and waited and waited then realized that I won't always be able to enjoy nice toys.
You are young, no wife and kids and few responsibilies.
When you get married to a woman who hates Vipers, then two or three kids, then big bills, do you think it will be easier to own a Viper? Think again.
B-U-Y T-H-E C-A-R!

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

I'm going to agree with GraphiteGTS, Life is too short to not live it to the fullest!!! I've been waiting for years and never would have done it if it wasn't "dumped" into my lap...
I'm 43 and my knees are crappin' out at a rapid pace, I don't know how many more years I'll be able to clutch the viper or any car for that matter. I still honestly can't afford the damn thing but I'm makin' it work, family and all. If you keep your priorities in focus it can be done. Just like anything thing else in life,,,, if ya want it bad enough, you CAN make it happen. Life goes by too fast,, enjoy it while you can!!!

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Take the advice given to you to NOT buy the car. Sure it will make you happy and a great feeling of accomplishment to plunk down 10K cash and finance the rest but if you aren't settled into a career you are mental to even be considering this. Payments aside, operating costs on these cars will seem massive if you're scrambling to make payments. Insurance is gonna be huge, maintenance (has it blown the head gaskets yet? If not it will) and the most common cost... GAS! I can tell you from experience that a one day romp with the local VCA club cost me $150 in gas! As a one time thing that was well worth it it but to even think you could resist driving this car is laughable. You'll drive it every chance you get and spend a sensible car's monthly payment in a weekend. Also don't forget the more you drive the faster you'll wear your tires out. You can't get these at wal-mart.

It would be sweet to have one but it will break your heart when the repo man comes to take it.

dies

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re:

I agree with Joe on this. I guess I'm pretty young (27) and just got a 02 GTS. I could have done it before, but it wouldn't have been much fun. Have you factored in insurance, payments, gas, etc. into your figures? The ABSOLUTE LAST thing I would do is get a TEMP job and expect that to pay for a viper I finance over 3, 4, 5, whatever years. The temp job is TEMP. The finance is not. I also agree with GraphiteGTS and SNAKBIT as well. You are only young once, however, waiting a year or two getting a stable job and setup in life won't kill you and it will make you actually enjoy the car more if the financial part doesn't matter as much to you. I know it's exciting, trust me I know. Honestly this should be one of those situations were you slow down and look at this from the outside in. 1 or 2 years won't kill you and then who knows, you could buy the car in CASH and never have to worry about a thing...

A car that you HAVE to pay for every month, instead of a car you pay for every month is a HUGE difference. I know plenty of friends that end up with their dream car and in turn end up hating their dream car...Please don't be one of those...

ohiodoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

I had to wait for a year but I am glad I did. I dont have a huge payment now and still have a viper. The waiting will kill you but you will have it before you know it. Mine is green also

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
Re:

Hey Francisco,
Its good to see you looking at all sides of the coin, the fact is no one can tell you what or what not to do since only you know what type of person you are and what limitations you may or may not have. In these days especially after living thru 911 here in NY I have a more for today attitude than ever but you need as many mentioned a solid foundation to get you moving in the right direction and stay that way. When i was 19 I had the same issue and went and bought a vette, it stressed me, I worked several jobs and went to city college (parents had no dough). Looking back it was not a smart move except that I was a very strong person and it taught me to stay the course and work hard so it was also the right decison. Today I have a rule that all toys get paid for in cash. No cash, no toy. Get cash then get toy. Whatever you do be honest with yourself, pick the course and stick to it, dont look back and move forward. Be honest and Good Luck !

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

You'll know when the time is right. You won't have to keep asking yourself if you can really afford it or not. You'll know you can. I wanted a Viper at 21, had a good job, and probably could have done it. I waited 4 yrs, now 25, and bought one without worrying. It was more of a comfortable purchase for me, rather than a stretch.

I agree with both sides here...don't wait forever, and get it while yer young, BUT, make sure you got some decent roots so if cash gets tight yer not struggling to pay off your other priorities. The Viper should be a toy, not your only focus. But hey, who the hell am I? Best of luck in whatever you decide to do. They are worth every penny. These are some badass rides.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

wow, see the love coming out Franciso, gotta be them 1000 posts so fast, haha.

bottom line, only you know what it means to ya overall and the sacrifices you will make to have it elsewhere.

if it means skipping the annual/bi annual trip or whatever and truly figure that would not bother you over time, go for it.

I love my GTS and it's going nowhere, wife, kids, all those extras come along some day and the car is staying, that's fact.

But along those lines if I was forced to forgo the trips and time off the job, etc, because of the Viper I think I would resent the thing over time, that's just me.

and for the record Craig is spot on with the gas. I blow $400 a month over here with casual driving on the weekends in my car. Factor in $200 a month in insurance and that 6 hundy off the top. Tires on an annual basis (Kumho's at 1500) are just an added treat!!

Keep this thread going valid points on both sides of the fence, I waited until 27 to buy mine, and was in position to buy it a few years prior to that had I wanted to, and didn't. Good move on my part, rental properties bought it, and paid it off in under 3 years. Not a penny from my pocket. Think of the possibilities, that's all.

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

I'll just finish my comments with this: when I've had a good, spirited drive on a late Saturday afternoon with friends, with the windows down and the summer breezes blowing, and after noticing the many admirers, I park my car, dust it off, and as I put the cover on as a fully-satisfied adult male the experience of owning my Viper is worth three times my investment.
Plus, if I was 23, I'd take over the world, anyway.
Frank, here is your saftey net: if things don't work out after purchase, cut your losses by selling. If you buy your Viper and are sorry w/i a year's time, I will publicly apologize to you and the entire Viper Nation (as I do a smoky burnout while leaving Big Bone Lick Park.)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21