GPS - WHATS THE BEST - PORTABLE

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looking for some input and posted it here as this is the most viewed form. i will
be using it in the viper and my boat. if anyone bought one or has some info on
the best systems out there please let me know. i'm doing a search tonight to
find as much info as possible. i want it to have a large screen and also the
option of touch screen ( must have both ). i appreciate any help. the gps i use
the most is in the escalade (2005) which has the large screen and touch screen,
i would like the same thing but for it to be portable.

thanks, tom

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i know it isnt portable, but the one that i won in last summers drawing for my car made by Dodge is wonderful if anyone is looking for a car model.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Garmin Quest. I think this is it's replacment.
http://www.garmin.com/products/sp2720/

Mines about the size of an older cell phone and it portable so you can use it in any car. Voices prompted navagation. It also works for boating and hiking. You just buy the different cd's

I know Costco was selling a protable Magellan with a larger screen. $500.00ish

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just used my garmin GPS60 today for the first time. my wife gave me this for X-mas yesterday. it tracks lots of satellites and has a major amount of run time. its water proof for boat use and has an extra long antenna for motorcycle use. the speedo goes to 999 mph for those times when you flyin your airplane and has a tattle tale to record your max speed. the trip feature will come in handy when i enter my viper into the grand sport class at nevadas silver state classic next year. it displays your distance traveled, time spent traveling and average mph for the trip. i will have to average 135 mph over a 90 mile course so this feature will help. anyway, all this + mapping features, etc for $159. gotta luv it. magellan GPS blows. been there done that and so over it. Garmin is the E-ticket.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For both handheld and larger yet still "portable" units more appropriate for automotive use, I've always preferred Garmin - I've had four Garmin units so far (GPS45, StreePilot1, StreetPilotIII, Etrex Legend). Currently, I've got the Etrex Legend for bicycling and hiking and an older StreetPilot III for the Durango. None of *my* Garmin units are touch-screen (and I'm quite happy with not cleaning fingerprints off of the screen). However the current Garmin 26XX (2610, 2620, others) units *are* touch screen, and likely what you might be looking for.

HOWEVER, note that if you're looking for a unit for the Viper, note that most of the automotive units have some issues fitting *on* the dash, due to the very short distance between the dash and the windshield. You might also think about your impression when first driving the Viper - remember how you felt blind to the right front, due to the low rearview mirror? Well, it gets worse if you stick a GPS unit on the dash which will block just as much, if not more, of your view to the right front - depending on your height.

Thus, you might want to consider a built-in unit, with a larger slide-out screen which sits below the top of the dash (and only blocks the center vent on Gen IIs, which is no big deal). I recommend the Pioneer AVIC-N1 (and now, AVIC-N2). But, its not a portable, and not an insignificant installation (I spent about 8 hours installing mine). Its a touch screen unit (*not* necessarily a plus in my book), and a very nice CD/DVD/MP3/etc player. I find the bigger screen much nicer than any of the portable units, and I didn't have to make a custom mounting bracket, as I've had to do for all of the other portable units I've used. The only real drawback of the Pioneer unit is the ridiculously small memory - you have to load the DVD to figure any routes - but you can load a "home area" into flash memory and it will show a detailed screen for most driving, say, within 10 miles of home for example.

I know of friends that have picked up a GPS unit sold by Costco (Lowrence?, don't remember), and was very happy with that unit also, which is also touch screen, so definitely check around.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960