Gray Smoke from my Exhaust, UH OH??????

Reaction score
I am not sure how the 2001 top end deals with excess oil. My 97 came from the factory with the left side air cleaner soaked with engine oil. The filter continued to get wet from excess oil that drained out of the valve cover into the intake tube. Under hard barking with oil splashes into the breather tube and dumps the oil into the intake. If the breather tube has not changed that could be the cause. But not all cars are created equal. The engine in that car had to be rebuilt. I always felt that this engine had excessive pressure or pressures in the engine top end. After the arrow the excess top end oil seemed to be gone. Check your air cleaner and intake tubes for engine oil.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
White smoke generally indicates coolant getting into combustion or exhaust. Not a good thing. Did you notice any temperature change indicating coolant loss? I would get your cooling system pressure tested before driving again. Excess coolant can cause a hydraulic lock which results in bottom end damage (piston, rod, crank). Not a good thing.

Good Luck,
Ron

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
...and doesn't Mobile 1 Tri-symthetic burn white instead of blue??? Take your Snake to a trusted Viper tech for confirmation.

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Besides checking for oil in breather hose from valve cover / air box to try and locate source...you have checked engine oil dip stick level, make sure there's correct oil in there before keep firing up to see if you're puffing! Know what the level was before smoke occurred, to see if you've lost much? You're not over full are you, running hard at high RPM and over full oil level, could have caused what you had happen? Compression test on each cylinder would show up a cylinder piston problem if oil's getting in to be burnt that way. Best wishes, hope it's just something minor.

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Koop,
How hard do you drive these cars? Didn't you have alot of trouble
with your Z06?
White smoke would suggest coolant, but people are saying Mobile 1
will burn white also so who knows. I would take it to Eddie Martin or call him at Bill Luke Dodge and he will even pick it up with a trailer. Get it checked out ASAP, it's still a new car!
Don't chance it!
Good luck,

Steve

MrLucky1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too have an 01 but with different problems. Based on some of these posts, perhaps some of my issues may have also affected you. The day after I got the car, no oil pressure. Upon rebuilding, Arrow indicated that there was a bent cam shaft and that the cylinder sleeves had dropped down. I only had 200 miles, so I had no smoke. I've had the car back now for two weeks and aside from the oil leaks that cannot seem to be located, the car is running well.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon, I am not sticking up for Frank on this. As you stated he comes up with smart remarks without the knowledge that you and others have. However, even experienced engine people may not have realized that synthetic oil burns white. I consider myself fairly knowlegeable in the engine field and did not know that. It could be that with the Viper as the only vehicle in the Chrysler fleet built and tested with synthetic, there is insufficient potential for this discovery (note dynamometer cell exhaust is heard but never seen). And, fortunately, I have never experienced excessive smoke from my car even though I also use Mobil1.

Thanks for the learning opportunity. I hope I never run out of things to learn.
You must be registered for see images

Ron

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me guess, you accelerated hard and then broke hard. The reply above was about me, pretty scary huh. It's just something that happens, only happened to me once but somehow the oil finds its way into the intake and is burned, my snake ran fine after 2 miles of burn off and never happened again, don't worry.