GT-3 Cup vs Comp Coupe vs Ferrari

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
here are some lap times from test @ road atlanta yesterday that will give you some more comparisons. The Viper is the old gtsr & is running in GTS , the ferrari is the 360 Race model & the porsche is a gt3R

3. Emanuele Naspetti, Italy, and Mimmo Schiattarella, Italy; Ferrari 550 Maranello (GTS), 1:19.988.
4. Tom Weickardt, Whitefish Bay, Wis.; Aaron Pouolito, Canada, and Jean Philippe Belloc, France; Dodge Viper GTS-R (GTS), 1:20.584

6. Peter Baron, Deerfield Beach, Fla., and Danica Patrick, Beloit, Wis., Porsche 911 GT3 RS (GT), 1:25.669.
7. David Murry, *******, Ga., and Justin Jackson, Buford, Ga.; Porsche 911 GT3 RS (GT), 1:25.981.
8. Shane Lewis, Jupiter, Fla., and Cass Whitehead, Gainesville, Ga.; Ferrari 360 Modena (GT), 1:27.675.
9. Joe Policastro, Latrobe, Pa., and Jay Policastro, Latrobe, Pa.; Porsche 911 GT3 RS (GT), 1:27.691

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There will be @ least 2 CC @ road atlanta for the speed gt contest along with many GT3 cup Porsches. The local guys are running below 128's in the regular Cup Cars with Hoosiers , I wonder what the Toyo's will do. I will post test results when I can.
Pete

OP
OP
B

Butch The Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On paper, you would think the Comp Coupe would have a distinct advantage due to power/weight and torque curve of the big V10. Doesn't seem to be any week point on the Comp. Coupe (on paper). Power, braking, handeling, etc... Although the track may tell a different story. So when will these cars race one another?

If my GT-3 was back together, I would made an effort to at Viper day at Gingerman. No problem we have the rest of the year. Hopefully the Porsche can stay with the Comp Coupe.

Butch
Schaumburg Motorsports Racing

01 GTS 10.42 e.t. @ 134 m.p.h.
02 360 Modena
93.5 T Supra 615 r.w.h.p. 600 r.w.t.q.
03 Porsche GT-3 Cup
01 740i sport
01 Lade 22" wheels

OP
OP
B

Butch The Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the GT3 Cup have options from the factory too or do you have to go aftermarket? It looks like the price you quote is pretty competitive with the CC.

[/QUOTE]

Hello Stephan

The GT-3 has no options, I tried adding A/C with the upgraded CD player but no luck.

Yes the price is very competitive, total cost is about the same.

Butch

02 360 Modena
03 Porsche GT-3 Cup
01 740i sport
01 Lade 22" wheels

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
01 GTS 10.42 e.t. @ 134 m.p.h. uh maybe my GTS could (maybe)
02 360 Modena nope - don't have one
93.5 T Supra 615 r.w.h.p. 600 r.w.t.q. - definately don't have one
03 Porsche GT-3 Cup - seen one ... one time
01 740i sport - YES!! I have this!!!
01 Lade 22" wheels no, haven't heard of them

Nor do I have the MAC DADDY looking house in your avatar. Whoa. sweet.

I personally would have bought a CC over the GT3, but if your seriously campaigning the car the GT3 is probably a better pick - at least compared to the CC in it's first season.

What no one has mentioned though (that may not matter in this case -hehe) is that the Porsche is very expensive to run. The recommended engine tear down interval isn't that long and is $25k (if I remember correctly) and parts seem to be more than same parts on a CC in the event of a ... incident.

I don't think you can beat Porsche's racing programs and support (even worldwide) but it's not for the faint of wallet.

Congrats on a great car Butch and maybe (just maybe) you'll make the CC switch before it's all over!!

We will see Kenny's CC vs. George's GT3 at South East tracks possibly as soon as the next VIR member day. Both great drivers in great cars... Should be interesting.

Tom86ZT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
pdmracing,
When it comes down to the cost of the vehicles to run, the Porsche is one of the cheaper ones. There are many porsche's running out there and the cup car shares much with the street versions (gt3 street and 911 carrera). Baring any unforseen mechanical failure, the engine on the GT3 cup car does not need a rebuild until after the second season it is raced. Thats pretty good longevity for an engine that is abused as this (or any race engine). Plus we do all the work ourselves (except of course for opeining up the engine now. Our class doesn't allow it and you must be porsche certified.). All in all, as far as a racing aspect, this car seems to be a good value.
Also remember, a GT3 cup car, such as Butch's would compete in GT class in ALMS. This car is stock. We have hopes of going to a RS car in the future, but we'll take this one step at a time.

Tom

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello Butch, the Comp Coupe was initially priced at 100k for the first batch of orders but with options like ( air jacks, track prep, paint, etc. ) it was probably close to 120k or more. The second and third batch is supposed to go up even more.

I believe there is a Comp Coupe on ebay now with a buy it now price of $128K. Strange thing, I believe this was auctioned earlier and if I recall, the starting price of $150K was met by one bidder, but obviously must have fallen thru the cracks as the owner relisted.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom , I race a Porsche in ITS & PCA events & we just started running a Neon SRT4 in Grand Am Cup. The porsche may be more expensive in the begining , but I agree with you. They told us we need to change front Knucles & bearings on the neon after every 3 hr race for example. On the porsche , they are a main item every 20 or 30 Hours!. I have been racing a P car for over 15 years & have run many long distance races as long as 24 hours with nary a hiccup!

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had our first outing @ the barber tarck last month, We finished the car the nite befor after 23 straight nites. So with zero track time we werent expecting much. It was a very rainy race day & our defroster didnt work! so we lost 3 laps in the beginning just clearing th ewidshield. Thankfully the rain helped us out in other ways, Dr J & I have never raced a FWD car before! once we could see the car ran great , hanging with the lexus's & last years bmw's on the starights & corner entry, but with the open dif & all that turbo power we couldnt put the power down on corner exit. Our best lap time in the rain was.7 off the Z4 of lasts years champ. The rain help me get an idea of what a FWD car handles like @ a much lower speed than if we had to go at it blind. It started over heating twoard the end & the ECU cut the boost to 5 lbs. It finished the 250 mile race 13th in ST1 which was more than we could have hoped for. This car has a bone stock engine & we modified neon ACR stuff to fit. We now have a posi & our next race is 6/20 @ watkins glen 3 hour & 6/29 @ mid ohio grand am cup. Some photos @ http://home.earthlink.net/~pdmracing/

OP
OP
B

Butch The Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
01 GTS 10.42 e.t. @ 134 m.p.h. uh maybe my GTS could (maybe) (COULD BE FASTER?)
02 360 Modena nope - don't have one (TIME FOR A NEW ONE)
93.5 T Supra 615 r.w.h.p. 600 r.w.t.q. - definately don't have one (COOL CAR)
03 Porsche GT-3 Cup - seen one ... one time (DRIVES LIKE NO OTHER CAR)
01 740i sport - YES!! I have this!!! (FOR SALE)
01 Lade 22" wheels no, haven't heard of them (CADILAC ESCALADE)

I personally would have bought a CC over the GT3, but if your seriously campaigning the car the GT3 is probably a better pick - at least compared to the CC in it's first season.

"I AGREE"

What no one has mentioned though (that may not matter in this case -hehe) is that the Porsche is very expensive to run. The recommended engine tear down interval isn't that long and is $25k (if I remember correctly) and parts seem to be more than same parts on a CC in the event of a ... incident.

" FROM OUR RESEACRH THIS MOTOR IS AS BULLETPROOF AS THE GEN II MOTOR AS FAR AS THE GEN III MOTOR I'M NOT SOLD ON IT YET"

I don't think you can beat Porsche's racing programs and support (even worldwide) but it's not for the faint of wallet.

"PARTS PRICE ARE NOT BAD"

Congrats on a great car Butch and maybe (just maybe) you'll make the CC switch before it's all over!!

" WHY NOT HAVE BOTH"

We will see Kenny's CC vs. George's GT3 at South East tracks possibly as soon as the next VIR member day. Both great drivers in great cars... Should be interesting.

" I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THAT' I WILL CHEER FOR BOTH CARS"

Butch

02 360 Modena
03 Porsche GT-3 Cup
01 740i sport
01 Lade 22" wheels

OP
OP
B

Butch The Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its more like $50 k for a rebuild!

" WE WERE QUOTED $30 K FOR THE REBUILD"

Butch

02 360 Modena
03 Porsche GT-3 Cup
01 740i sport
01 Lade 22" wheels

Toronto_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GT3 car is a nice car and very reliable. However I have to say that you are not getting a quicker car than the VIPER. You can say that you beat a viper by 3 seconds in lap time then all I can say is you raced a bad VIPER. The Vipers are winning big time in FIA GT against your Porshes, Ferraris, Audis, BMW's and everything else. They actually were the best car in the 24 hours of Nurbring in Germany last week but of course the Germans did not want to see another Viper win again to make 4 out of the last 5 years, so they had to penalize them after approving them at the beginning of the race.

So I have to disagree when you say that the Porsche is a better road race car than the Viper. You put all the right parts on the Viper and the Porsche does not have a chance.

The resson you probably got the Porshe is because the Vipers are penalized so much for having the advantage of its beast of an engine that never quits.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GT3 car is a nice car and very reliable. However I have to say that you are not getting a quicker car than the VIPER. You can say that you beat a viper by 3 seconds in lap time then all I can say is you raced a bad VIPER. The Vipers are winning big time in FIA GT against your Porshes, Ferraris, Audis, BMW's and everything else. They actually were the best car in the 24 hours of Nurbring in Germany last week but of course the Germans did not want to see another Viper win again to make 4 out of the last 5 years, so they had to penalize them after approving them at the beginning of the race.

So I have to disagree when you say that the Porsche is a better road race car than the Viper. You put all the right parts on the Viper and the Porsche does not have a chance.

The resson you probably got the Porshe is because the Vipers are penalized so much for having the advantage of its beast of an engine that never quits.

Yup, yup and yup I can't see a GT3 keeping up with a CC, no way.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In fia The gt3R is not in the same class @ the Viper, The Fia Vipers run in GTS in alms, the gt3r is in GT. So its apples to oranges. The GT3Cup will be running the CC in Speed GT series & my $$ is on the Porsches. Look back @ the last time the Viper won the World Challenge, An ameture although decent driver Peter Kitchack, almost won the championship in a car that was no where near the equal of Archers Viper. The one thing Porsche has, that most co'cs lack, is that the whole company is like a PVO, The race stuff is engineered from the begining. Their skunk works will blow your mind. For other than USA markets they will sell you a 911 street car with up to 600hp( & that is when I was there in 1996). The handling, longevity, braking, power to weight & efficency is what makes the GT3 such a fine race car, to discount them as a threat is a mistake.

OP
OP
B

Butch The Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GT3 car is a nice car and very reliable. However I have to say that you are not getting a quicker car than the VIPER.

"No one said the GT-3 was quicker, you have to nuts to that"

You can say that you beat a viper by 3 seconds in lap time then all I can say is you raced a bad VIPER.

"The GT-3 cup does even compete in the same class, The Viper I ran against was in the faster group there's only about 160 h.p difference"

"Given the Viper has more horsepower & torque they don't run in the same class, the Viper's run against the GT-3 RS cars not the GT-3 Cup cars"

"The reason I have the Porsche is because there is more support for racing"

It's to bad you don't know what you are talking about, the Viper is clearly a faster car than the GT-3 Cup car

Butch

02 360 Modena
03 Porsche GT-3 Cup
01 740i sport
01 Lade 22" wheels

OP
OP
B

Butch The Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In fia The gt3R is not in the same class @ the Viper, The Fia Vipers run in GTS in alms, the gt3r is in GT. So its apples to oranges. The GT3Cup will be running the CC in Speed GT series & my $$ is on the Porsches. Look back @ the last time the Viper won the World Challenge, An ameture although decent driver Peter Kitchack, almost won the championship in a car that was no where near the equal of Archers Viper. The one thing Porsche has, that most co'cs lack, is that the whole company is like a PVO, The race stuff is engineered from the begining. Their skunk works will blow your mind. For other than USA markets they will sell you a 911 street car with up to 600hp( & that is when I was there in 1996). The handling, longevity, braking, power to weight & efficency is what makes the GT3 such a fine race car, to discount them as a threat is a mistake.

"This is true the GT-3 RS cars I have seen have 600 H.P"

Butch

02 360 Modena
03 Porsche GT-3 Cup
01 740i sport
01 Lade 22" wheels