GT2, 998 recall opinion wanted

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In terms of value would it be best to have the recall done or not? My biggest problem is there doesn't seem to be anyone in the West Michigan area capable of doing this recall.
Thanks for your opinion(s).

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes get it done, send it to Tators
check the harness recall swap has been done while your at it

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it a low mile show car, I would not do the recall. I think your car may be of more value in the future if it is left as is. There is not a deadline for this recall, maybe someone will take it in thirty years from now to have it done.
If it is a driver or if it is ever going to be on the track I would have it done just for safety reasons.

just my .02

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are going to track the car, Yes....have it done.

Be careful who does the work. I had it done last May by the sellers viper tech. I had to have redone properly by my tech. According to Chuck, many dealers do it incorrectly.

OP
OP
S

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car has 2100 miles on it. I don't track it so there is no safety issue involved. I would love to have Tator's do the work (along with my 96) but it's hard to swallow a $3200 +/- transportation bill for both cars to and fro. It might be worth the piece of mind however. Thanks, Venomiss, for the suggestion. I'll have to check the Chicago area as well as Detroit.

My main concern is what having/not having the work done does to future value. If parts are always available and the recall doesn't expire perhaps it's a non issue.

I wasn't aware of the harness recall swap (didn't get a notice); will check that out also.

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe ask the dodge dealer if they are willing to give you the parts and a copy of the repair procedure to go with the car.
That I think would add to the value of the car.

Vypr GT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck sold me a set of the parts and instructions to keep with my (as new) GT2.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i know Chuck has done quite a few of these recalls, over 100 i beleive, and i remember him telling me he has seen problems on cars that hasnt been on the track

at least get hold of the parts they wont be around for ever, since its a babyed car probably not worth bothering about but id speak to Chuck regardless

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd agree that parts may not be around forever. Chuck did the recall on mine and did perfect....perfect.....job. I am very picky and I am thrilled with Chuck's work.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The recall is good forever, meaning no expiration date but, it's a different story for the parts needed to do it, the manufacturer do not have a obligation to stock them forever and once they are NLA ,you're screwed.
As some other have suggested, you should get all the recall parts for free (it's what I did for #999 on my 00GTS) and just keep them.
For #998 you need a bunch of parts and the recall instructions is 74 pages long
Parts needed:

CAAP9984 DIFFERENTIAL FRAME BRACKET REPAIR PACKAGE
INCLUDE:
DIFFERENTIAL FRAME REINFORCEMENT PLATE
DIFFERENTIAL MOUNTING BRACKET
DIFFERENTIAL MOUNTING BRACKET GUSSET

CAAP9985 REAR TOE LINK BRACKET ASSEMBLY

CAAP9986 FUEL TANK ACCESS PANEL PACKAGE (GTS ONLY)
INCLUDE:
SERVICE PANEL
RIVETS (24)

CAAM9981 STEERING REINFORCMENT PACKAGE
INCLUDE:
STEERING GEAR CROSSMEMBER REINFORCMENT
RIGHT SIDE FRAME RAIL GUSSET
LEFT SIDE FRAME RAIL GUSSET
STRUCTURAL STEEL RIVETS (24)

CAAP9982 DIFFERENTIAL REINFORCMENT PACKAGE
INCLUDE:
DIFFERENTIAL SUPPORT BRACKET
DIFFERENTIAL "Z" BRACKET
DIFFERENTIAL SUPPORT BRACKET BOLT
DIFFERENTIAL SUPORT BRACKET NUT
STRUCTURAL STEEL RIVETS (10)

CAAM9983 STEERING GEAR CROSSMEMBER ASSEMBLY

OP
OP
S

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I will talk to Chuck and get the parts on hand so I have them available.........for him to install when he sets up shop in West Michigan for a week:).

Thanks luc for the parts list.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang