GT2 Assembly Line Pictures

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyone that bought a GT2 have pictures of it being built with the assembly plant picture cam that they would be willing to share? Would love to see some assembly line pictures of one being built.

Thanks,

Rev

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a complete set, not for my car but GTS/R#1 sent me a set if you like and PM me an email address I can send em over. It is not easy to tell if it is your car or any I figure that the pics were pretty generic.

If you have a GTS/R I would really like to start a registry it is after all the most 'Special' of all Vipers.

And if any one has a copy of the magazine I would kill even Baz for it....LOL

pattymelt3605

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a complete set, not for my car but GTS/R#1 sent me a set if you like and PM me an email address I can send em over. It is not easy to tell if it is your car or any I figure that the pics were pretty generic.

If you have a GTS/R I would really like to start a registry it is after all the most 'Special' of all Vipers.

And if any one has a copy of the magazine I would kill even Baz for it....LOL

PM sent.

Vypr GT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<<If you have a GTS/R I would really like to start a registry it is after all the most 'Special' of all Vipers.>>

Agreed! If the 360 final edition cars have a registry, the 100 extra-special GT2/GTSR cars should have a registry too!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Anyone that bought a GT2 have pictures of it being built with the assembly plant picture cam that they would be willing to share? Would love to see some assembly line pictures of one being built.

Some trivia:

The GT-2 Assembly Cam [affectionately called ASS-CAM by CAAP folk] was the product of the Natl VCA Secretary and the good-graces of the CAAP manager, John Hinckley Jr. VQ Editor Dan Ross at JRThompson managed to get ~105 cameras printed up, and 101 hand-numbered, and delivered to CAAP. One each was placed in the "Traveler Packet" that came down the line with each GT-2. Vin #s were allocated, and built in sequence. At each step of assembly, the team leaders took a photo, and left 3-4 blanks so the owner could record the delivery.

The few extra cameras were used on the 2 PVP cars, for Execs, and a Spare Camera for Vin # 001. It is numbered "001B" in fact. TWO sets of Vin # 001 photos were taken as it came down the line at CAAP. Camera 001B remains wrapped in the Owner's congratulatory letter, photos undeveloped, along with the "Thank You" note from Mr Hinckley to the VCA Secty who suggested the program. He stated that CAAP employees had "great fun" with the project, and "too bad we can't do it for every Viper."

P.S. That camera is MINE !

Vypr GT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB,

Do you know what company Dan Ross used to create the run of GT2 cameras?

pattymelt3605

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for sending the pictures Paul, I wish that I did own a GT2, but sadly I just have a GTS. :(

You must be registered for see images

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thinks the last photo is of the new owner in this case GTS/R #1 BTW I was dissapointed with the camera some cheap disposable which you would expect with a cheap cardboard cover.

But part of the cars history as I still have the empty camera.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
JonB, Do you know what company Dan Ross used to create the run of GT2 cameras?

I actually GAVE the name of the company to Dan back then....they produced travel-related disposable souvenier cameras, and catered to the travel industry, selling cusom event-based "save the memories" cameras. Alas, my memory bank cannot recall that company.

Way-back-when it was also suggested as a VOI-3/4 gift-bag item to "save the memories" with a VIPER CAMERA.....but the idea never came to fruition. I think a Viper-Logo camera would be neat, and relatively cheap!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thinks the last photo is of the new owner in this case GTS/R #1...... I was dissapointed with the camera some cheap disposable which you would expect with a cheap cardboard cover. But part of the cars history as I still have the empty camera.

The photo is NOT the new owner....it is a CAAP employee in uniform, parking the car AT CAAP shipping room, next to John Hinckley's (mule-PVP) Yellow Prowler.

CHEAP? WOW ! The ASS-CAM project happened last-minute, due to the cars secrecy, and actually took a LOT of politicking to get approved. It even involved the UNION approving this 'extra work' issue! Approving the cost of an expensive camera would have taken much longer, and as it was, if the funding had failed, John Hinckley was prepared to pay for the 100 printed-disposables himself. (As was I.) I think they cost $12 each delivered..

In the end, JRThompson company paid for the cameras, and I do NOT think they even sought direct reimbursement. It was just another "fun thing" Dodge would do for owners back in the GOOD OLD DAYS of Vipers. I dont think the INDUSTRY has done it before, or since. Cheap? PRICELESS !!!!!

Vypr GT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB- thanks for the interesting info. I agree, the assemby camera program was unique and very special, just like the GT2 itself

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry Jon, but some of us have never been fortunate to collect anything from CAAP so are not aware of the uniform shirts.

Just an assumption on my part, glad you put the world straight.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon it seems to me that your knowledge of the Viper becomes more limitless than i could have ever imagined. I do enjoy very much the morsals of unspoken/unwritten/unposted PRICELESS Viper history and trivia that just seem to flow when i least expect it.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Jon it seems to me that your knowledge of the Viper becomes more limitless than i could have ever imagined. I do enjoy very much the morsals of unspoken/unwritten/unposted PRICELESS Viper history and trivia that just seem to flow when i least expect it.

THANKS MIKE! You made my day...... And you were THERE at CAAP for some history in Sept 2005. In the past years, I have had 3 screennames, and my combined posts of ViperMush would probably be well above 6000 if dearly-departed ViperMad and or Jay had ever allowed them to be combined.

PAUL Said: "Sorry Jon, but some of us have never been fortunate to collect anything from CAAP so are not aware of the uniform shirts.""

Paul, the old CAAP "Team Member" shirt alone was NOT the total clue, because those cool shirts DID make their way out of CAAP....the tip-off was the JPHinckley Yellow Mule Prowler and the back-wall of CAAP, that I remembered seeing with the GT2s.... PAUL...with your next order I will include a CAAP Freebee or two: A "Home Of the Viper-Prowler" team member lapel pin of old, same as shirt logo, so you will recognize it evermore!

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon, you got a picture of that pin? I'm curious what it looks like :) Also wondering where one can get various Team Viper shirts and other CAAP stuff.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Jon, you got a picture of that pin? I'm curious what it looks like :) Also wondering where one can get various Team Viper shirts and other CAAP stuff.

Sorry, but I am inept at photos...the lapel pin is about a 1.25" oval, black enamel bckground, in white and red "Conner Avenue" on top, "Assembly Plant" below, with Purple Cat and White Pete logo centered. CAAP has a store, open during VCA tours and by appointment. [PartsRack has even provided some merchandise for their sale.] The store itself is yet ANOTHER one of the fun things that Dodge does for OWNERS, to enhance the Viper experience. As the uniforms change, they have sold past-date uniforms, pins ets in the store.

It helps to be a VCA Michigander....or have other connections....

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, but I am inept at photos...the lapel pin is about a 1.25" oval, black enamel bckground, in white and red "Conner Avenue" on top, "Assembly Plant" below, with Purple Cat and White Pete logo centered. CAAP has a store, open during VCA tours and by appointment. [PartsRack has even provided some merchandise for their sale.] The store itself is yet ANOTHER one of the fun things that Dodge does for OWNERS, to enhance the Viper experience. As the uniforms change, they have sold past-date uniforms, pins ets in the store.

It helps to be a VCA Michigander....or have other connections....

As soon as the CAAP plant reopens for tours, I am flying back up there JUST to tour the plant and go to the souvenir shop!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
As soon as the CAAP plant reopens for tours, I am flying back up there JUST to tour the plant and go to the souvenir shop!

Bring Money ! Especially becasue they usually have small die-casts too!

When you schedule your tour, be SURE to ask if someone will be available to open the CAAP Employee Store for you. It is NOT always available! Either bring a duffle bag (or buy them there) to carry all the stuff, or ask them to UPS purchases back home for you. I have seen tour-folk spend THOU$AND$ and have it all shipped.

Come to think of it, I was one of em!

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thousands :eek: ? Yikes, talk about Snake Bite, they really must have some special stuff there then.
I would kill to look around in that store, buy lots of stuff and do the plant tour, there's just a minor inconvenience called Atlantic Ocean :crazy: If anyone is planning to do the tour when they reopen please let me know, I'd love to hear from you what kind of stuff they sell in the plant store.
I did a plant tour in Germany (Opel Rüsselsheim, a GM company) with my own club and it is mighty impressive to see a HUGE roll of sheet steel that's several stories high transform into the final product rolling off the assembly line, so I can only imagine that the CAAP is an even cooler experience :headbang: