GTS Drinking Coolant - What to Check?

1997GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 1997 Viper GTS all of a sudden shot to 250 degrees. Pulled over, checked coolant and it was all gone. Added coolant and the temperature came back but within about 15 miles to get home most of coolant gone again. Feels like some loss of power and hesitation but no leaks anywhere. No odd smoke coming from tailpipe. Can't tell if oil contains coolant.

I am out of warranty and local dealer a nightmare and prefer not to drive it 35 miles to good dealer in this condition. Has anybody had this and how does one tell whether its a cracked head, blown head gasket, or a Viper problem like timing cover leaking into oil (don't think it is that since 3 gallons of coolant couldn't go into full oil pan).

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks.

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Start by replacing your radiator cap. If you have installed a T fitting
in the heater hose - you can drill the cap and install a shrader valve - then
add about 15psi compressed air to search out leaks.

NJVTECH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1 you're right dont drive it at all
2 oil level ?
3 have seen the timing cover gasket blown inside the cover
dumping the coolant inside.
4 havent seen too many lking headgaskets except on
heavyweight engines.
5 have it towed to a competent Tech

OP
OP

1997GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts everybody, did some more probing based upon the feedback. There does not seem to be any external coolant leaks but seems like an internal one.

The engine oil is very high, and seems quite thick when checking at the dipstick. When I took off the engine oil fill cap in the valve cover there was some green sludge on the cap looking like boiled coolant.

From reading around the net there was something that said early Gen 2's had Front Timing cover gaskets that would leak coolant into the oil. Not sure whether a late in model year 1997 is considered early Gen 2 or not.

Appears to be a definite mixing of fluids and problem there, so I guess getting it to a shop to check it out is next step. Wanted to see about knowing what it is first for determining if I take it to dealer for change of gasket or take it to performance shop if I was going to replace the head to do it with a better one.

TomH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Same thing happened to my 97' GTS last May. Ended up having the head gasket replaced and the heads machined since it got so hot so fast. Mine was the result of a small hole in the coolant over-flow bottle that allowed an air pocket to form in the coolant system. Now I check that coolant level weekly. Tom My GTS was born in November of 97'

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You do have a leak someplace that is letting the coolant into the oil.
That, you know.

I just wanted to say that it might not be a good idea to delay resolving this problem. The oil is contaminated and this may cause corrosion in the engine.
So I don't think I'd let it sit in the garage very long while you are deciding who to send it to.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
My bet is timing chain cover gasket. I happen to remember a post similar to yours when I was searching the board about an oil leak that I had from the timing cover gasket with my Gen 1. Dealer cost to replace timing cover gasket ~ $900 - $1000.

While not an easy do-it-yourself project, it can be done with the appropriate service manual, rental of a harmonic balancer puller and appropriate torque wrenches and the parts from Chuck Tator. Took me a full day and a half to complete taking my time and checking each step twice.

Good luck.