GTS Exhaust Question

T.C.z.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of posts about exhausts on here, but I never found one that addressed this issue specifically. My dad and I own our Viper together, and we are going to put on aftermarket exhaust, BUT there are some qualifications. First and foremost, we both want the car to have a deeper, more grumbling sound, but he does not want the car to be incredibly loud. As such, I figured it would be best to leave the cats in and just do a cat back exhaust only. Second, he doesn't want to spend $3K+, so headers are pretty much out of the question.

So here are the questions... First, if we leave the stock exhaust manifolds and cats, how much of a difference in sound would something like a Borla cat-back exhaust make? Second, if you were wanting to spend $1200 or less, what would you buy given my situation?

TC

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Give JonB at Partsrack a call. Explain your exhaust goals to him and he'll advise on options. I'd also attend local Viper events and hear the different exhaust systems our members have on their cars. Nothing quite like being able to compare the exhaust note of a B&B, Belanger, Borla, RT and Corsa system in person.

My personal advice based on your goals would be to take a look at the Random Tech catback. You can simply purchase the rear sub-assembly for $499 or the catback for $999. Sound is great and price/value/quality can't be beat.

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TCz,
I would advise you to replace the stock cats with Random Tech Hi Flo cats. They are significantly lighter but more importantly they run much cooler which will preserve your side sills and make exiting the car less of a problem with respect to touching the side sills. They also make the catback exhaust sound better. Also, they are not too expensive, around 300 per pair. Since you are going to the trouble of installing new exhaust now would be good time to redo the cats as well. JonB can sell you these as well.
Pavenom RT/10

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 98 GTS had stock headers, Roe Hiflow cats and Random Tech SS exhaust. Souded perfect. Quite while cruising, deeper rumble at all speeds, great sounding idle, cool side sills, not too loud at WOT. Now I've got a Corsa, Headers and no cats. Loud idle, quiet cruising and really LOUD when on the pedal.

Ted

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TCz,
I would advise you to replace the stock cats with Random Tech Hi Flo cats. They are significantly lighter but more importantly they run much cooler which will preserve your side sills and make exiting the car less of a problem with respect to touching the side sills. They also make the catback exhaust sound better. Also, they are not too expensive, around 300 per pair. Since you are going to the trouble of installing new exhaust now would be good time to redo the cats as well. JonB can sell you these as well.
Pavenom RT/10

I wholeheartily agree with this opinion. The stock cats will cause your sills to overheat and discolor. I've seen it on too many vipers to count. I just changed out my whole setup and it now runs sooo much cooler, it is unbelievable. You will be saving money in the long run by not having to repaint your side sills.

See this link for a sample of my new sound. It has bellanger headers, and Random tech high flow cats and Random Tech catback. I highly recommend. :2tu:
http://forums.viperclub.org/showthread.php?t=604573

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
T.C.z. said:
I know there are a lot of posts about exhausts on here....... if you were wanting to spend $1200 or less, what would you buy given my situation?
TC

I am SO grateful that most above suggest this option for you that I am making you a 1-time offer, SPECIFIC to your and your dad's needs and sound goals:

RT HF cats + RT cat-back, for your stated, budgeted $1200 price!! Offer expires 7/27.

IN FACT: The all orders placed this week on our website have THIS GUY T.C. to thank. VCA TC WEB SPECIAL $1200. Forget what the web order shows, the card will be be billed $1200 for CATS+CAT-BACK !!!!!!

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am SO grateful that most above suggest this option for you that I am making you a 1-time offer, SPECIFIC to your and your dad's needs and sound goals:

RT HF cats + RT cat-back, for your stated, budgeted $1200 price!! Offer expires 7/27.

IN FACT: The all orders placed this week on our website have THIS GUY T.C. to thank. VCA TC WEB SPECIAL $1200. Forget what the web order shows, the card will be be billed $1200 for CATS+CAT-BACK !!!!!!

I missed it by that much! :sadpace:

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take a look at the Random Tech muffler delete at Partsrack.

http://partsrack.blastmart.com/customer/product.php?productid=1401&cat=103&page=1

You can't beat that price to make the car sound a lot better, and it is not too difficult to put on. You can then upgrade to a full 3" cat back later if you want.

I agree with those above who suggest high flow cats. Much cooler in the side sills. But, the muffler delete does not require opening up the sills. If you are going to open up the sills, definitely do a full cat back with high flow cats.

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone tell me the the true hp gain from doing Belanger headers to high flow cats, and from doing just a cat back system? Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cookviper