GTS or SRT depriciation?

ChrisXoxide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
those 03-06 SRT's have tanked in value. I'm in the market for either a nice 01 / 02 GTS 50-60k, or now possibly thinking of a used SRT for 55-60k. I'm very surprised the prices were able to sit down this low on these cars.

From here, where does everyone think the values will be headed? Do we really assume the SRT's can go lopsided to the earlier gen cars? There must be plenty of people like myself that although do not prefer the style, are interested in buying a newer, higher performance car in the SRT.

(On a side note, any recommendations? I've owned a 99 RT/10, so I think the SRT might be funner from a different standpoint)

Chris

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If long term value is important for you buy a Ferrari or an airplane but not a Viper ...

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If long term value is important for you buy a Ferrari or an airplane but not a Viper ...

I think that's what the ferrari lovers were saying about barracudas back in the 70's. :rolleyes:
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/auctionresults/common/cardetail.asp?id=183447

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see used ferrari 360's going for about half what it was originally listed 4-5 years ago. That's not too far from a Viper's depreciation.

...airplanes have a high resale value??? :confused:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT's just like previous years Vipers take a hit in the first couple years, then tend to stabilize.
With Vipers a good idea is to just buy what you want. Hard to know in the future which will turn out to depreciate the fastest.
RT/10 seem to recently have taken a hit, while GTS seems to hold their value well.
96 & 97 Blue Whites have been at +/- $50K for years.

forensicsteve

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am like you Chris...seriously considering another Viper purchase but also always looking for a new driving experience as well...so watching the SRT10 values as they get closer and closer to the 50K mark. I loved my GTS but probably look for RT10 or SRT10..just for something different. I hear the SRT10s are more user friendly and more practical as a daily drive. Never actually seen a SRT10 up close though...

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Forensic, I'd definitely recommend seeing one. They are beautiful and very comfortable. I'm still keeping the GTS for now, but if I didn't currently own, would likely go SRT-10.

OP
OP
C

ChrisXoxide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forensicsteve,

Take my advice (I owned a 99 RT/10 for three years), you should either get that SRT if you are heart set for new experience / convertible, or another GTS!

I really, come to think of it, didn't like the RT anywhere near where I could have enjoyed a GTS or SRT. I'm sure of this without owning either of the others.

The grass is always greener, especially when you are driving an RT/10 and you have to spend a few hours a month working on new ways to get that hardtop from creaking.

And for those that "Never put the top on, only take it on sunny days", I'm sick of checking weather reports and taking that 10-20% precip risk! hahahahaha, just kidding guys.

Loved my RT, but I know GTS and SRT would have made me more happy.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am like you Chris...seriously considering another Viper purchase but also always looking for a new driving experience as well...so watching the SRT10 values as they get closer and closer to the 50K mark. I loved my GTS but probably look for RT10 or SRT10..just for something different. I hear the SRT10s are more user friendly and more practical as a daily drive. Never actually seen a SRT10 up close though...
I'm among the biggest pro-gts guys here, but because you're a 1-car kinda guy, go with the SRT coupe/vert. MUCH better as a daily driver, and as much as we poke fun, the SRT's are not all THAT far behind in looks, and is a much better overall package than the gts.

We're eager to welcome you back in the party. :2tu:

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of the reason that SRT 10's are depreciating is because of stiffer competition from other makes in factory trim. Supercars are to a degree similar to computers in that the fastest new ones are the most expensive.

The difference is the majority of buyers today don't know or care how strong the V10 is and how well it can take to mods. They only care what they read in car magazine test numbers. This is a great time to get a beautiful brand new SRT 10 for a bargain basement price. If only I had the money for a second Viper right now it would be a new SRT 10.

roofum

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TOP OFF OR TOP DOWN IS THE ONLY WAS TO GO .Most of the gts girls dont want to get thier perfect hair messed up.As for the value no matter what they all fall to $30,000 to $60,000 any way.Buy it and enjoy it ,.dont listen to and the whinning from these ladies .................love mom

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I won't consider a new Viper until they are competitve in the current market again.... no way I'm going to spend 70-80k on a new car that get's the beat down by the vette.... I don't care if it's more exclusive....it's got to perform....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ditto. IMHO the SRTs will depreciate very quickly and be worth far less than the Gen I & II once the new '08 comes out. Of course than is ASSUMING that DC does not screw up the '08 with mass market appeal(means toned down design and a trunk to haul golf clubs). The SRT run will only have been 4 to 5 years(5 years if they do an '07 with NEW LIMITED EDITION COLORS...WOW!) and only 1 to 2 years for the Coupe. That does not increase their collectibility due to a short run. It only means most Viper fans did not like them and they couldn't sell them. In early '07(when '08 comes out) you'll be able to buy SRTs for $45K or lower. If you want one wait until then. I may get a Coupe and keep it stock for a DD that I can park anywhere and not have to worry about it no matter how LIMITED it's color combo is. I will never sell the GTS.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala