GTS-R at the Track

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The price would be significantly less I think. First, they would "dumb" it down a little. Second, the cost would be spread across 200-300 units. It might not be that out of the question. However, if a transmission like this surfaces, you can rest assured it will probably be shared with Ferrari.

This.

I didn't mean the exact same transmission. I meant one sourced from Ferrari and possibly modified to handle the extra torque. In general I hate flappy paddle shifters but listening to that motor run through the gears has me thinking crazy talk.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT toyed with one of the flappy paddle Tremec's that is currently in the Aston's for Gen 5 testing. That is MUCH different than a sequential race box though.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT toyed with one of the flappy paddle Tremec's that is currently in the Aston's for Gen 5 testing. That is MUCH different than a sequential race box though.

Pardon my ignorance on the subject....I was under the impression that the paddle shifters in Ferrari's Enzo/FXX were the same as racing sequential trannys. What's the difference?

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance on the subject....I was under the impression that the paddle shifters in Ferrari's Enzo/FXX were the same as racing sequential trannys. What's the difference?

The technology is similar but an F1 sequential is not in an Enzo. They've taken stuff learned from the race cars and applied it towards street cars. The FXX actually might be a full blown race box as it is a race car but I'm not sure. The same thing should happen with SRT. They'll take stuff they've learned from the GTSR and apply it to the ACR as long as it's economically feasible. Same thing Chevy has done with the C6R's to their street cars.

GRNBGON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My question is, does ALMS rules allow for use of a tranny that is not offered in a production car? Does that mean that this trans may be offered as an option?

Gunman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My question is, does ALMS rules allow for use of a tranny that is not offered in a production car?

yes.

9.2.3 - Gearbox :
a/ Forward ratios : 6 maximum ;
b/ Provided original location and orientation are retained
(ACO Homologation form), the gearbox is free ;
c/ Possible modifications of the underbody are permitted to
fit the gearbox and the differential but only with the ACO
agreement and under the express condition that they do
no not modify too much :
c.1 - The integrity of the main structure ;
c.2 - The cockpit inside measurements.[/quote}

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BUT did it set a new record at CMP?

I have no idea but will check. I run there a lot and know the owner.

I wonder if this clip is part of a bigger video.....if there was continuous in-car video of a lap or two we could calculate his times to see how fast it was running. There are some wicked-fast TransAm cars that've run there.

Does anyone know whether there's a "long version" of this clip?

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wonder if next year Corvette Racing is going to pull out completely? Take time off to get things ready for their new C7. What do you guys think?

Also if it does happen that would **** because the new Vipers will be running alone. Just like the C6R corvettes did..

ViperArry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone tell whats up with the roof? Maybe noob to ask... but why are there two colors of material on it? Sort of expected it would be one piece of CF.

Gunman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone tell whats up with the roof? Maybe noob to ask... but why are there two colors of material on it? Sort of expected it would be one piece of CF.

Yellow is Kevlar. Antennas are attached to the kevlar portion, since kevlar does not conduct.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
An "automatic" trans is the only way to go for the ultimate in shift speeds without the concern of missing a shift. Technology is the way to go. Sticking with a manual trans is like sticking with a carburetor. I know the feelings of the majority of the forum members, but these same members endorsed fuel injection over carburetors as time went on. It's time Viper gets with the program, if the Viper really wants to play with the big boys like Lambo and Ferrari. Just my thoughts anyway--Dave

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An "automatic" trans is the only way to go for the ultimate in shift speeds without the concern of missing a shift. Technology is the way to go. Sticking with a manual trans is like sticking with a carburetor. I know the feelings of the majority of the forum members, but these same members endorsed fuel injection over carburetors as time went on. It's time Viper gets with the program, if the Viper really wants to play with the big boys like Lambo and Ferrari. Just my thoughts anyway--Dave

Stock to stock the Viper[ACR] has never had any problem dispatching GTR's, Gallardo's, Porsche's etc on the circuit track with its manual transmission. The only disadvantage the manual has is in street racing......So for its intended mission it doesn't necessarily need a DCT like transmission to keep up or beat the competition on track. However your point is valid since it is made by "Street"RT. So they should at least offer the option of a DCT down the line when it makes financial sense. Viper still has to prove it can earn "Fiat" money lol. Once that happens I can see the other technology like Multi-air, DCT etc making it to the snake.

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
for road racing...having driven a paddle shift Stohr for 8 years I can say not taking your hands off the wheel is a measurable advantage and this e-tek makes the shifts faster. I doubt even a system like the street ferrari has will ever trickle down to the street car due to the target pricing.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For street driving, I prefer the standard manual transmission. I would love to have the option of the paddle shifters on the track. Keeping both hands on the wheel, no clutch to think about, no braking while shifting coming into a corner. All things that definitely improve lap times, but still a demanding car that makes you drive it and doesn't drive itself with all the other nannies that are out there.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys want a sequential transmission for the Viper? Here is one that is already in a couple of Gen 2's and Gen 3's

Sebastian @ NLR can get anybody here one of these boxes:

I just copied a post he made on another forum with some pics.

I believe this box is about 25K.

6 speed sequential tranny built to handle the torque of a twin turbo viper.
Benefits...
full throttle shifts with minimum boost drop
custom NLR gearing
fully supported shafts and high torque loaded gears are supported
extremely strong gears with proprietary tooth profiles
Gear sensor for ecu connection
linear *** for ecu connection
reverse lock out

You must be registered for see images attach