GTS rear hatch, strut glue failure

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today, it is mid 80's and my car was in direct sunlight for over an hour. I opened the hatch and the driver strut popped off of the window. The strut mount had come off of the glue, the glue is still attached to the hatch.

What kind of glue should be used to attach the strut mount to the window? Or are there any secrets to this install?

I burned my hand on the glass too. :omg:

Thank you,
Nick

OP
OP
W

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Taking some suggestions from other threads, I went to a local window shop. They re-bonded the bracket to the hatch. I'm giving it ~24 hours to fully cure and keeping it out of direct sunlight. Then re-attaching the strut.

It took about 5 min and was free of charge. Gave the guy a nice tip for helping me on short notice.

Nick

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Was hauling ass night before last and window came loose from the metal strap... again!

FYI for those interested, I've tried Gorilla Glue and Loctite 2 part epoxy, and neither have held up. After reading on folks having success with the JB Weld, I've decided to try that. Just got done clamping the metal strip back down on the window, now waiting for the JB weld to dry. hopefully this will work.

Thanks to those posting their experience and solutions on this.

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I tried the JB Weld on my hatch, and it didn't hold worth a ****. I'm starting to get irritated with this whole hatch issue. I don't know of any other glue at this point besides this two part plastic weld glue. In my searches, I found SYNFUL had some success with a glue, I'd like to know if it's the same stuff as below or if it's something different. Is there anything else besides what's below that has worked for anyone?
Plastic Welder™ II
http://www.ellsworth.com/display/productdetail.html?productid=818&Tab=V

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had this problem in my 96. Dealer had some special stuff. Once fixed it never came off again.

Think it was an early supplier problem, and was quickly addressed.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Best to replace the rear window, if not 3M makes a adhesive to attach window tracks to windows, must be prepped correctly.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Windows coming loose is also a symptom of blocked or restricted air vents when people put audio equipment there.

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not going to replace the whole window for $1100+ dollars. I refuse to believe there isn't an adhesive out there that will work. Does anyone know what glue dodge used on our hatches after 1999???

No audio equipment blocking the vents here.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recall a thread that discussed this topic a while back. Maybe try a search or just call the Wiz....

OP
OP
W

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's been about half a month and the adhesive the shop used on my strut is holding. I have no extra stereo equipment in the back of the car.

Nick

OP
OP
W

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll give them a call this week.

It was just a two part epoxy that was mixed just prior to being put on the car. It was blue.

Nick

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bump! Any word on the name of the adhesive that will hold together for this rear hatch? Calling Chuck Tator or Jon B, or anyone for that matter.

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm doing some research right now, and found some info on some 3M adhesives that might do the trick, but 3M has so many variants that I'm not sure which one would work best. May need to contact 3M directly, but maybe someone on here is an expert and can provide input...

Shop 3M: Adhesives

I'm thinking it's going to be some kind of structural adhesive that will work. Anyone have any thoughts?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang