GTS Roof Cracking

glenn hofstetter

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do any of you have cracking in the material that the exterior roof is made of on your GTS? I have 3, each about 1/2" long on the passenger's side and one on the driver's side. They are on the roof where the horizontal window opening turns into a radius as it turns downward at the windows rear cutout. This is not paint or clearcoat chipping, These are body cracks!

I have not lowered the car, the suspension and tires are stock, the car is never on the track and the roads here are smooth. It has not been in an accident either. I think body twisting is causing it. It does seem to flex going up driveways and speed bumps obliquely.

IDEAS????

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
This is the first time I've heard of it, on any Viper! Have you taken it to a Viper tech?

Does it seem like the supercharger make the frame twist under heavy acceleration?

If you find a fix, please post it. As our Vipers age, this may occur to others as well. Your experience could be valuable to all Viper owners.

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flexing over driveways or speed bumps?? This is the strongest chassis car I've ever seen. I never had a car I could jack up with only one side frame and the whole car go up straight, and sit on one jack stand.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sounds like you have bondo or something that was put on there from previous damage? My car is lowered and it has gone through may stress test I guess you could say and no cracks.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a crack in the 'sportbar' section on my '99 RT-10, next to the trunk lid. Someone told me they all do that eventually. I didn't keep the GTS long enough for crackage. I would guess that any hard plastic can crack with time and stress. Old Vette's do it, I guess Vipers too. I don't see any possible stress points on the SRT, but only time will tell. Seems to be softer plastics, except the hood and decklid.

Silver Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This sounds crazy!! Can you post a picture of the crack? Could it have to do with the climate? Maybe in the sun a lot? Rapid temperature changes?

Also, could this be covered under warranty?

Mark
:)

OP
OP
G

glenn hofstetter

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The car is stored inside a garage :( , I have owned it since it was new and its never been in an accident. It is exactly like it came from the factory except for the cracks which are growing.

BlackVenom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Please post pictures, as I have a 2000 GTS and I would like to see the problem you are describing.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
could be a material batch/ qc problem; but that would dictate others having the same problem, all other factors being equal.

RalphieViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a '97 that had stress cracks in the corner of the roof by the rear hatch. It ended up that when the roof panel wasn't installed properly causing the cracks. the whole roof had to be removed, reapplied then painted.

no problems ever since