GTS Value- please help me understand?

OrthoD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to know what the trade and Selling value of my 1997 GTS is. I was browsing Ferrari's and was offered $44,000 for it? It is Blue/ White
-under 9,000 miles
-Belanger headers
-Corsa cat back
-High flow cats
-600hp/ 620torque built by Woodhouse Dodge
-Aluminum Radiator
-KN Airbox
-3.55 gears
-Short shifter, modified gate for shifting problems mentioned in other post
-18inch Forgeline VR1 rims and tires around 200 miles on.
-Floor mats

I understand that you do not get back what you put in but with over $20,000 in mods come on?

OP
OP
O

OrthoD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its nice to know you can get a smart-a... response from a simple question. I didn't know the procedure was to list every mod when you say engine built by.... So just for 1Tony1
-cam, lifters, heads, rockers, rods, rings, take apart put back together, no pieces left over, fill with gas and oil, turn key Hows that?

OP
OP
O

OrthoD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its funny I post many times on the Ferrari sites and have never had a flame or smart response. 9 posts and I'm already being made fun of. Maybe I'm hanging around the wrong crowd.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OrthoD,

I think they are low balling you a little. They want to make money on your car and that's fair...but they may sit on it for a while and make 10 grand.

A local Kansas guy sold his 1998 BONE STOCK GTS for $43k this week. He wanted 3 to 5 more but got a great buy on a Final Edition so he let it go.

Your Blue and White is worth more.

Jerry Dobson VCA and FCA member.

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ferrari site-no smart a answer = no sense of humor thus Ferrari guys have no sense of humor? Not much torque either.
Hmmm
Your car is a fast $50K sale if you put it on the VCA classifieds.

OP
OP
O

OrthoD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, i guess Im am a bit sensitive right now. My ego was bruised by the salesman. I love my viper and I am not going to sell it. But I want a Ferrari also. I don't know Tony but I'll take your word that he is just joking.
I thought gts vipers went for a lot more than 40-50 grand. Maybe I overpaid as I paid 50 grand for it used.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Big problem in the "value" equation is the Viper Tax we pay for mods and the fact that most people would rather have a bone-stock car to begin with. Funny thing is that after you get your bone stock Viper - you end up wanting the mods and add them yourself and pay the Viper Tax anyway. Typical return on mods has got to be about $0.25 on the dollar.

Good Luck!

GoldMan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've found that with most performance cars you get little or nothing extra for the mods you add. Like ROCKET62 says "most people want a bone stock car"... Lots of mods may also indicate to many people that it's been driven hard and/or raced.

My last car was a C5 Vette... I bought it for $30k+ spent $10k+ on mods... Sold it & only got $20k.

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a trade? The 'blue book' is probably low 40's, but that doesn't take into consideration the mods. It would be crazy to trade a car with those kinda mods in at a dealership that doesn't deal with Vipers. Selling the car? you can get mid to low 50's. Blue and white's bring the high dollar. My general rule is 40% of aftermaket mods added to the market value of your car. IMO 45+8 = 53k. I wouldn't take less. You'll get it. I've got over 35k in aftermarket receipts on mine. I still wouldn't sell mine for 65k. BTW: Tony = funny guy! What Ferrari you looking at?

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get an appraisal from a reputable appraiser that knows cars,exotics,customs,hot rods etc.Most helpful if you have an insurance claim and he goes to court with you against the ins co.In my area its James T Sandoro.Expert wittness,Nationaly known.40 years experience.Specialty vehicles 1900 to the present.He founded the Buffalo transportation museum.Cars that were built here like Pierce and others.Plan to have him do my car before it goes on the road this spring. Bruce

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OrthoD this is kids stuff for a real beating log into the A L L E Y.

www.V I P E R A L L E Y.com

This is a favorite topic to catch hell over...

Just do a search...

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, i guess Im am a bit sensitive right now. My ego was bruised by the salesman. I love my viper and I am not going to sell it. But I want a Ferrari also. I don't know Tony but I'll take your word that he is just joking.
I thought gts vipers went for a lot more than 40-50 grand. Maybe I overpaid as I paid 50 grand for it used.

A sensitive guy, that's nice, but they usually hang out at the alley :laugh: (PLEASE NOTE THE SMILEY BEHIND THE SMARTASS TRYING TO BE FUNNY REMARK)

You ask about your value and say: 600hp/ 620torque built by Woodhouse Dodge

I ask Tony.....Tony, does he have mods he didn't list, does it have nitrous, is he full of b.s. ? Many places I go, someone tells me about their buddies 1000hp Viper :rolleyes:

My point is and was: If you want an appraisal, we need to know about the car. I honestly thought all the items you listed were installed by Woodhouse and you were full of b.s. on the hp/tq. Is that wheel hp and tq ? My guess would be flywheel hp/tq. Now your not going to sell it....what was your question again ?

p.s. $44,000 for your car is not out of the ballpark for a dealer trade-in offer, especially if the Ferrari is priced right. You also have about $3500 in tax savings if your state is like most. So you effectively got $47,500 from the dealer. Get him to bump up to $45,000/$45,500 and you are around $49,000 and don't have to screw with selling/shipping/tire kickers etc. List it yourself for $50,000 and you get offered $49,000.....you are at the same $$$$ plus all the trouble.

Foowowee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ferrari or Viper? Been there-Done that.
I loved my Ferrari, but I also love my Viper that replaced it. Been there-Done that.
Ferrari's are extremely expensive to maintain properly compared to a Viper. And if you don't maintain it at an authorized Ferrari dealer, it significantly affects the resale value. The second thing a knowledgeable buyer wants to see is the service record of the car and that the work was done by Ferrari.
Frankly, the "WOW" factor of both cars is about the same, in my opinion, with the Viper at half the intitial cost of the Ferrari.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was as confused as Tony was, and his was kind of a funny comment, and you DID want to know how much it was worth. After ammending your mods list it is obviously worth more than the first post when you did not fully inform us that it was a fully built engine not just a headers car.

OP
OP
O

OrthoD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me start my apologizing to everyone for smart comment to Tony. I do have the mods and its 600hp at Flywheel-That seems to be enough for me(for now). Got a speeding ticket first day out. The car was built by Rik Maxwell. I got the mod itch from reading everybody on the forum listing their hp. I was going to add blower but there seems to be a lot of contoversy with them now so I will wait.
As for the trade I was not looking to trade but I inquired about Ferraris, they asked about my current car so I wanted to know what it was worth.
For Foowowee what kind of Ferrari did you have and why unhappy? I have been thinking about Testarossa's

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not trade my 97 Blue and White even for a Testarossa , they are a pain in the ass to maintain and their value has been dropping like a rock lately. Keep your Viper a couple more years and it will be worth more than a rossa!

Foowowee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OrthoD, I've owned two Ferrari's. One was a 328GTS and the last one was a 512TR, the last version of the Testarossa.
Again, my complaint was the cost to maintain, not to buy,
compared to the Viper.
And the Testarossa in particular is extremely expensive to maintain.
Every 15,000 miles a maintenance is required that runs between $4,500 and $6,000 depending on the Ferrari dealer.
It can involve total or partial removal of the engine depending on the service scheduled.
Compare this to the Viper that you can take to Jiffy Lube if you wanted for oil changes, and to your Dodge dealer for service when it is required.
If you are buying from an Exotic dealer that is not an authorized Ferrari dealer, I suggest you first go to an Authorized Dealer to find out about these required services. Then make sure the car you are buying has had these services completed. If not, the car can be worth 10 to 20,000 dollars less than one with completed service records.

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't really understand why you would take the time to list the mods you did initially only to leave out a bunch of stuff. The most important mods that is. :confused: But that issue is a moot point at this juncture (I would imagine).

A $44,000 offer for your car with those mods is an insult. But remember, you only get a very small fraction back on your mods when it's time to sell. Unless of course you luck out and find the perfect buyer. But that takes a lotta time, patience, advertising, and luck. You should advertise it & start the ball rolling at $60K - $65K. Not that you'll ever get that but you always wanna start high right?