had my GTS totalled...

7-LITRE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So in a nutshell, I was heading home around 5am. As i went thru this one intersection, this dude (in a car full of stolen radios purses, etc) ran a red light and t-boned me. It sent my car pinballing through the intersection hitting 3 different curbs before coming to rest. He got arrested and my insurance company totalled the car.

This is just the passenger side that got hit by the car. the left side got most of the concrete. Three of the wheels passed away lol!

You must be registered for see images attach

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't know if I could control myself. I might have gone to jail instead of him because I killed him.

If I were you, I'd buy the car back from the insurance company and part it out. I'm willing to bet you'll make out with more money, and would cover you're deductable if you're having to pay one.

Sorry this happened, I think everyone on here has cringed from seeing that pic. I know I did.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you are ok...... there are a lot of expensive and needed parts by some to come off that car. Hope you can sell the salvage. Jon B. ???

OP
OP

7-LITRE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
insurance valued the car at $45k and then paid me for my wheels, so $51k. not too bad of a deal, as its in the ballpark of what i would have sold it for. Replacing it's another story:( i dont want any other GTS other than the one i had so i may try to step into a solid blue '06 coupe by years end. I want to see how long i can hold out(i have a discipline/priority problem)!

i'm fine. initially it was the whole ribs, neck, and left hand(airbag). after that next day soreness i just feel the wrist.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
glad you're OK
and I'm relieved it wasn't your fault
but its so sad to see another beautiful Viper off the road for good
these cars are just getting more rare everyday

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like your hood, engine and side sills are OK. That's $40k right there......

V

Venomiss

insurance valued the car at $45k and then paid me for my wheels, so $51k. not too bad of a deal, as its in the ballpark of what i would have sold it for. Replacing it's another story:( i dont want any other GTS other than the one i had so i may try to step into a solid blue '06 coupe by years end. I want to see how long i can hold out(i have a discipline/priority problem)!

i'm fine. initially it was the whole ribs, neck, and left hand(airbag). after that next day soreness i just feel the wrist.
Sorry to hear about your accident and glad you walked away. Always the most important part.
Just in case you change your mind:

ViperClub Classifieds - 1998 GTS with Max Care Warranty! - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The good thing, is you are fine and able to type this out on a forum. :)

I hate to ask at a time like this, but do you by chance have the driver's side windshield wiper plastic bolt cover? :D

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry about the loss. Glad you're okay. Nice to see that the Viper can take a hit from the side. I always worry about that when driving.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gosh that was a gorgeous GTS, wheels too. I hear ya on you can't replace THIS particular car. So sorry this happened to you...and glad you are okay...see you have a bit of humor, that can be helpful.
~~juli

OP
OP

7-LITRE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the kind words. in between flights right now.

Yes i'm very blessed! i had just dropped off my friend a few minutes before. had she been in the car with me, this story would be written differently:(

Honestly i feel its one of those things that HAD to happen! When i dropped her off i decided to park a block away(so not to wake up her immediate neighbors) and walk her home. the time it took to do that and walk back to my car....and then meet this guy right at the nick of time? there's no telling what this guy was up to at 5am with all these stolen goods etc? he could've hit someone at the another light and done worse.

i'm no physics major but i think being in a car so low with wheels that stuck out more than tire, saved me. had i been ina normal vehicle with more tire i would have easily flipped or gone airborne. instead i was like a pinball, taking out chunks of curbs all over the road with my big lip'ed wheels until I ended up on top of one. I remember each hit, thinking "this is how it feels right before you die". After the third hit it started getting old lol!!

as for the car....it's long gone:(

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You really have it together, it would seem!!! To think 'logically' after all this happened to you, and could've possibly happened to a passenger (GOD forbid!!)...I agree with the tires/wheels; car being so low helped you, thankfully. SO sorry though...it was a GORGEOUS BEAST! ~juli

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have terrible luck with cars. For the amount of times my cars get hit, you'd think they were pinatas. I think that the total number of times they've sustained damage is 35. It's not like I'm a bad driver. Of all the accidents, I've actually caused three, and I'm not trying to shirk the blame for my mistakes on other. My cars have been hit at least seven times while parked! Once a huge wooden sign blew off the side of a building and hit my car. I had a brand new trans am get side swiped in a parking lot when it was two weeks old. Last week I was driving my new Lexus and a lady backed out of a parking space and hit me in the rear quarter panel. Each time one of these events has happened, I've been able to say, "It's just a car" and mean it. The Viper is the one car that I'd have a hard time saying that. I drive my Viper so defensively on the street, you'd think it was made of glass. If I wreck it racing on track, I'll deal with it, but if someone else wrecks it...then its not just a car.

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im glad your ok, its sad to see another GEN 2 bite the dust.
When i take out my GTS this weekend I will honk its horn in memory of your GTS.

OP
OP

7-LITRE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did this happen in San Antonio or Austin?

Rev

it happened in s.a. I was coming up Tezel and Gilbeau when he hit me.

Pryme, i probably can. i guess since i got what i would have sold it for i just left it at that.

wastntim, Sweet Mother of Moses!! If all those accidents happended to me,i'd be making Murcielago car notes for insurance alone:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joe forcelli