Hardtop Help, Dodge Or Northwind?

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the factory Mopar hardtop and prefer it over Northwind. The Northwind top looks bulky for some reason and if I remember has rails on the sides near the rear of the side windows. I just don't like the top's looks. The only way I would have bought a Northwind top is if I got it real cheap - like a $1,000 or less. The Mopar top looks perfect and fits well. Plus I am a factory Mopar type guy to begin with. I bought mine used for $1,500 shipped and paid $300 to get it painted black.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Leonard........

I was the proud owner of the 1st NWE hardtop. Goes on in 1 minute flat. Off in 30 seconds. Lots of headroom. Toupee-looks.

MoPar looks better, but requires disassembley/reassembly of sport bar trim each time. 1st time takes 45-60 minutes. Figure 30+ thereafter. Consider it a seasonal-top, not a by-the-day top. Kind of a 'flatter' bubble.

BEST OPTION: VMANIA ! www.vipermania.com

NWE engineering 2 minutes ON, 1 minute OFF; Vmania styling, with a more voluptuous bubble, and PartsRack discount pricing. Optional GTS-R style roof scoop. [plz call me? -tnx]

AutoForm has a similiar top, but definitely harder to install/use/adjust.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JMcGuire:
Is this a case of "the year matters?"
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup.........he has a 1995.......the 'sport cap trim pad' assembly must be removed to install the top. 28 lbs

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Jon B...
I also bought a Northwind top and windows and absolutely love it. It comes off and goes on in a minute without the removal of the sport cap. Has lots of headroom and is light. The new rear latches are secure and easy to operate.
Go Northwind.........

IMSOSLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went for the V-mania top and would highly recommend it. Goes on fast and easy and looks great. Got the scoop and it really sets the car off. I posted a pic on the site a month or so ago. Do and search and you can see it. Biff painted the stripes to match and it come out perfect.

Ken

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up one of the new NW/IMX double bubble fiberglas tops last week and love it. The top is a one hand lightweight, attaches in front with oem hardware and in back with a clamp that goes through where the scissor clip attaches, no sport cap disassembly required. No rattles, stays firmly seated at 145 mph and looks great. I did not compare with a MOPAR top because I was told none were available new for 3-6 months. I will email pics if you want them.

[email protected]

96 RT/10 white
00 GTS Steel/stripes

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LrdKnight,
It appears you have the stock side windows that go with your soft top.?? If you want to retain these, check the aftermarket hard tops to see if they will work, or if you will need to buy their side windows to match their hard top. Removal of rhe sport bar cap, is as simple as loosening the 4 bolts, slide the cap up (the holes are slotted), remove the 4 bolts by hand (fingers), drop top on (carefully), tighten 2 bolts to the sport bar, two twist latches over the windshield and you are done. 5-10 minutes max. This with the Mopar top.
Good luck !!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vip-RT10:
I agree with Jon B...
I also bought a Northwind top and windows and absolutely love it. It comes off and goes on in a minute without the removal of the sport cap.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ANTONIO ! YOU BOUGHT A V-MANIA TOP !!!!!!

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I knew I wrote something stupid, Thanks for the correction JonB!!!
Anyways, The V-mania top is what I have and my comment is still the same...

SNK BIT in WA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would checkout the Autoform top. I think it is the best looking hardtop, hands down better than everything else. A scoop is now available if you interested.

I have had mine for about a year now and LOVE it. It adds 3 inches of head room. Does not look like a "Sandwhich" across the sports cap and comes all the way down the window pillar for a more complete look. It only ways something like 22lbs, piece oh cake to remove and install.

Check them out, you might see something you like.

Mark

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to clarify a point. The Double Bubble top I referred to above is marketed by V-Mania. I was fortunate to be geographically located close to the IMX portion of the group and used that reference in error. I will be crashing the Bowling Green Corvette festival in my GTS this weekend and will post pics of the top when I get home monday.

Greg

96 RT with V-Mania Double Bubble Top
00 GTS Steel with Autoform Wing

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Almost forgot, the V-Mania Double Bubble works with my OEM side curtains. That saved me a few dollars for now. I looked at the windows offered to go with my new top and like them a great deal. A set is definitely in the plan.