HAS DC CANCELLED THE VIPER?

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont see why some would think it cost anywhere near the 90k that has been charged on the viper. There has been a premium on the viper since it's onset and the rebates on the SRT's only confirms what the Viper would have been selling for if there was no premium. Dodge may not be making much on the viper because of it's limited production but up until the debacle with the increased production numbers has not lost money on the car.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont see why some would think it cost anywhere near the 90k that has been charged on the viper. There has been a premium on the viper since it's onset and the rebates on the SRT's only confirms what the Viper would have been selling for if there was no premium. Dodge may not be making much on the viper because of it's limited production but up until the debacle with the increased production numbers has not lost money on the car.

More than just the rebates... how about the weekend getaway to Germany if you buy a Viper? :rolleyes:

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to be the one to say it

DCX got what they needed from the viper in 1994-1998

a revamped image.

you wont see another viper until they need to revamp their image again.

now that DCX is owned by Germans, you can BE SURE they will make all the effort in the world to make sure any new "excitement" that comes from the DCX line is because of something thought of by the German think tank.

ego comes 1st when you take over a competing countries product.

If there is a new viper it will surface no earlier then 2010. The 2010 viper will be a far departure from the Cobra Coupe it was inspired by. The cobra coupe with no frills and a big motor is too "American" for the German ego to swallow. I put my money on the 2010 viper coming out with a tad less HP then a 2010 CL65, and it will have all the German electronics to go along with it.

For 2008 there will be nothing for the viper. BUT there will be new Chrysler 300's with 26" wheels from the factory.

"BLING BLING." "Them Americans Love them shiny wagon wheels." - Dr.Z laughing at a cafe next to the autobahn.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
definetly right no '83 production vettes and only one produced. there will be an '08 viper and probably an '09 the next car gen IV has not been decided yet

actually, there were 47 1983 corvettes produced, but none were ever sold-the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY has the only one in existance on display.

What happened to the other 46?

Bowling Green kept 11 of them, the rest were used in crash tests. I have heard 47 total were produced, some reports say only 43 were made.

They were all finally destroyed with the exception of the one on display in BG. There were reported ramp-up problems at the plant, coupled with the high cost of the '82 model, so GM decided not to publicly sell the 1983 corvette

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

a revamped image.

now that DCX is owned by Germans, you can BE SURE they will make all the effort in the world to make sure any new "excitement" that comes from the DCX line is because of something thought of by the German think tank.

If there is a new viper it will surface no earlier then 2010. The 2010 viper will be a far departure from the Cobra Coupe it was inspired by. The cobra coupe with no thrills and a big motor is too "American" for the German ego to swallow. I put my money on the 2010 viper coming out with a tad less HP then a 2010 CL65, and it will have all the German electronics to go along with it.

You had me until "no thrills". :buttkick: :D

Hopefully you meant no "FRILLS". ;)

S

SUN RA KAT

The Gen III Vipers go better than our "obsolete" Gen I & Gen II's. Ours just look a whole lot more like what a Viper should look like. When they combine the best of both with some upgrades for the 2008 model year there won't be a backlog of Vipers waiting to be adopted by new parents.

Topawam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with most of your thinking and logic, but, the thing is: If I buy a business, first, it's because the previous owner did not make it profitable enough to keep it, and after a while, the business will progress in my direction, not the direction of the previous owner... (that was not good anyway...)
So for me, yes, the Viper, as we know it, is dead... That said, I may like the new Mc Laren...

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only consolation prize to all of this is by 2020 the Gen 2 vipers should at least double their current value.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with most of your thinking and logic, but, the thing is: If I buy a business, first, it's because the previous owner did not make it profitable enough to keep it, and after a while, the business will progress in my direction, not the direction of the previous owner... (that was not good anyway...)
So for me, yes, the Viper, as we know it, is dead... That said, I may like the new Mc Laren...

I agree, however I think in the grand scheme of things, the Gen-III Viper is already a McLaren. The lines of the Gen-III Viper are distinctly Daimler vice Chrysler. Despite the better performance of the Gen-III, if you ask the average joe about brand recognition, the Gen-I/Gen-II will define the Viper in historical perspective.

Basically, Daimler killed the great American sports car from an image perspective. I've never driven one, so I can't speak to the performance aspect of them, bur from a looks perspective, it doesn't have that heart-rate increasing "automotive artwork" look to it, and that's a major piece of why people spend this kind of money on a car like this...my $0.02

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does the Firepower have anything to do with "no Vipers in 2007"? Maybe retooling for a first year with all capacity focused on it would make sense. They have a bunch of unsold Vipers on hand so they have enough for next year.

Many of you have stated you are waiting for the announcement of the 2008 Viper but will horsepower be enough to generate the mass appeal that was brought on by the original Gen I? I don't think so. It has been stated that you could get more horsepower out of a Gen III with add-ons. Why would DCX think that surpassing the Z06 is enough to put them on top again?

I think that if the body doesn't change drastically along with unreachable horsepower, the Viper will have a short life moving forward which is a shame. After all, isn't that why all of those unsold Vipers are out there? If the Viper goes, what will be the next Chrysler halo car?

In looking through recent blogs, many bloggers have a survey filled out. Of all of the personal questions in those surveys, the Dodge Viper is many people's dream car... still. The appeal is not that it's all muscle car and looks nice. The appeal is that it's America's supercar and no Mercedes product is going the change that.

Santo

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(gen3) but from a looks perspective, it doesn't have that heart-rate increasing "automotive artwork" look to it
this is what killed viper sales. they could have left the body alone and changed the internals only & sold more gen3s that way then with the body redesign.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In looking through recent blogs, many bloggers have a survey filled out. Of all of the personal questions in those surveys, the Dodge Viper is many people's dream car... still. The appeal is not that it's all muscle car and looks nice. The appeal is that it's America's supercar and no Mercedes product is going the change that.

Santo

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

That statement from Santo, a Canadian no less, shows that he gets what the Viper is all about. I hereby make a motion to grant Santo dual citizenship.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I buy a business, first, it's because the previous owner did not make it profitable enough to keep it,

It was my understanding that Chrysler was on the rise and the Germans very shrewdly moved in on it. Dunno. Just what I heard.

At any rate, if they don't come around to American thinking it might be Factory Five kits for me. Or maybe a Radical, those are sweet.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the thing that hurt the car the most was not this statement

"(gen3) but from a looks perspective, it doesn't have that heart-rate increasing "automotive artwork" look to it"

but the fact that up until '03 the car was built only as sold units, when the ability(production capacity) when from being able to build 7-9 a day to 13-14 a day they did it regardless of demand. I don't think it was a styling issue the car has never been marketed to any extent worth mentioning. It's like in DCX mind if it sells fine if it doesn't sell fine also

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I buy a business, first, it's because the previous owner did not make it profitable enough to keep it,

It was my understanding that Chrysler was on the rise and the Germans very shrewdly moved in on it. Dunno. Just what I heard.

At any rate, if they don't come around to American thinking it might be Factory Five kits for me. Or maybe a Radical, those are sweet.

I think Chrysler is making some of the best looking cars in America and around the world. I'm sure the merger with MB has been part of the reason the quality is great.

Didn’t Chrysler beat MB a few quarter back in profits?

I know this is blasphemy on this site, but I’d still like to Viper as a Super Highbred. Show the world they can have it all and America will make it for them.

Of course it will also send a nice message to the OPEC nations which I’d love.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the thing that hurt the car the most was not this statement

"(gen3) but from a looks perspective, it doesn't have that heart-rate increasing "automotive artwork" look to it"

but the fact then up until '03 the car was built only as sold units, when the ability(production capacity) when from being able to build 7-9 a day to 13-14 a day they did it regardless of demand. I don't think it was a styling issue the car has never been marketed to any extent worth mentioning. It's like in DCX mind if it sells fine if it doesn't sell fine also

When I was looking to buy in 2003. They had brand new 2002's next to the SRT/10.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I am not going to speculate but let me ask this: how far can they take
the big motor, no frills concept?

That's the catch, they could take it all the way if the damn germans would just
get their over-engineering, european market mindset out of the equation. The
50s-styled VW lasted onver 50 years in production and sold more units per year
then the viper does. People who own Gen1-2 will buy Gen1-2 again in the future,
and judging from the salvage market sales are far better on old wrecked vipers
than new "better engineered" vipers. That should be like a 50ft blinking
billboard to the heads at DC.

The viper is big motor, no frills. Adding frills makes it a vette wannabe.
Lessing the motor makes it a Benz. The true enthusists would still buy vipers
if they had 8-track hi-fi stereos.

There is nothing saying a dated bodystyle cannot benefit from newer technology.
Take a GTS, put the SRT brakes and Motor in, freshen up some interior features,
sell it as a Gen4 and watch the money roll in. I'd buy it.

Mopar-man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why are you guys with the GenI/GenII knocking the GenIII Viper, aren't we all on the same team? In my opinon don't give it a bad reputation if you never owned one!!

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score

a revamped image.

If the cancelled Crossfire is an example DC's engineering and marketing savy there is not much hope. Oh yes, add the SRT10 truck to that, Oh and maybe the Viper.

We took the Crossfire for a test drive and it felt very much like our "POS" MB SLK350 and I guess it should since the chassis is a MB SLK 320 in US clothing. Nice ride but the cheap looking dash and top mechanism were a turn off. Even with the 10K discount from the sticker price it seemed overpriced.

And now the same pricing antics for the SRT 10 truck, 10K off dealer invoice.

If I had paid anywhere near sticker for either vehicle I would be highly PO and it would be the last purchase from DC.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andrew they may have had an '02 on the floor but as far as the factory was concerned they were not building floor units, EVERY car had a customer name on it whether it was real or ficticous. A dealer i built a home for tried to order a unit for their floor and never got built and could not figure out why and i explained it to him. This may have changed by '01 or '02 but prior all units leaving the factory were sold. When the gen III came into play more specifically the '04's cars were being built on spec to sell at a later time, thus the glut of unsold units on the floor

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andrew they may have had an '02 on the floor but as far as the factory was concerned they were not building floor units, EVERY car had a customer name on it whether it was real or ficticous. A dealer i built a home for tried to order a unit for their floor and never got built and could not figure out why and i explained it to him. This may have changed by '01 or '02 but prior all units leaving the factory were sold. When the gen III came into play more specifically the '04's cars were being built on spec to sell at a later time, thus the glut of unsold units on the floor

I almost wonder if some of that had to do with the "I want it and I want it now" mentality of today. Was DC losing potential sales to Chevy because you could just go pick up the vette of your choice off the dealer lot since there were so many of them, so they figured they'd follow suit and stock the dealers up to satisfy the impulsive/impatient buyer.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope the SRT group are reading this PLUS all of DODGE. :2tu:

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Why are you guys with the GenI/GenII knocking the GenIII Viper, aren't
we all on the same team? In my opinon don't give it a bad reputation if you
never owned one!!

My opinion is that you shouldn't come to the RT/GTS boards and fluff the
S2000RT. By default I am allowed to trash talk that chevy-hybrid all day
long here (and have) and enjoy every chance I get. But in all fairness, if
you think I *must* know what it's like by all means buy one for me and
I'll give it a fair and honest chance... ... ... to break 2:00 at VIR.

Make though mistake though, I have no ill-will towards the people who buy
them though. Some people just need ABS and cup holders to survive and I
can respect that. The issue with this thread though is whether or not DC
has/will continue Viper production. I for one am completely indifferent. If
they cancel my Gen2 will increase in value, if they continue the Gen4 is
pretty much guaranteed to look like this:

3194S2000RT-med.JPG

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why are you guys with the GenI/GenII knocking the GenIII Viper, aren't
we all on the same team? In my opinon don't give it a bad reputation if you
never owned one!!

My opinion is that you shouldn't come to the RT/GTS boards and fluff the
S2000RT. By default I am allowed to trash talk that chevy-hybrid all day
long here (and have) and enjoy every chance I get. But in all fairness, if
you think I *must* know what it's like by all means buy one for me and
I'll give it a fair and honest chance... ... ... to break 2:00 at VIR.

Make though mistake though, I have no ill-will towards the people who buy
them though. Some people just need ABS and cup holders to survive and I
can respect that. The issue with this thread though is whether or not DC
has/will continue Viper production. I for one am completely indifferent. If
they cancel my Gen2 will increase in value, if they continue the Gen4 is
pretty much guaranteed to look like this:

3194S2000RT-med.JPG

Bwwwhaaaahaaaa.....and well said. That's hilarious.

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
most people think the gen3 viper is a vette until they see the badges.

most vette people think the gen2 viper is an ugly clown shoe.

the Japanese? designer who designed the gen3 took the middle road.

Then... the new C6 vette designers took cues from the gen2 viper; roof bulges, lights, vents etc.

everyone is trying to tap the raw sex appeal of the gen2 viper.. everyone EXCEPT DC...

Gen4 is worth the wait. maybe DCX will get hit in the head and remember who their daddy is. DAYTONA COUPE.

If the gen4 viper continues towards the MBZ line, ill be purchasing a daytona coupe kit & working out a viper motor implant.

You must be registered for see images

http://www.factoryfive.com/table/ffrkits/coupe/gallery/coupegallery.html