HAS DC CANCELLED THE VIPER?

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the signs are there, no intro at VOI and therefore probably no special "group buy" for already viper owners like in the past for the GTS and the SRT10, we even had a heads up on the new coupe in the past.

And the real kicker, this whole [******] thing about no 2007 viper, when has this ever happened where a car just skips a production year??????

In the past, they just simply call some of the production 07's even if they are mad a little early, what does that take, changing a number or letter on the serial # and voila you have an 07 model.

Outside of some wink wink nudge nudges, what real evidence is there that the viper is not done, gone over? A few spy shots of a manifold and a ********* vented hood cover on a one off red SRT10?

Don't get me wrong here, I do not want it all to be over, I am a die hard viper fan ( I have sold a few lately but I still have 6 of em ), but what are the real signs that it's not all over?

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were no 1983 Corvettes. However, I do think the Viper is on it's last legs.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the C4 Corvette came out, GM did skip a year. At least I think they did.
As I recall, the C3 ended in 1982 and the C4 started in 1984.
I don't think there was any Corvette production in 1983.

This may not be true, but I think I remember that it happened that way.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m no marketing guy.
But I can’t see what DC is getting out of the Viper.
They don’t use the Viper from time to time in a tv ad the way GM does with the Vette.
DC can’t be making much if anything by selling a few thousand Vipers every year.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see the end of the Viper.

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shelby and Joe,

You guys are correct, now that you mention it I do remember something about that whole corvette thing, but wasn't the "new" vette a completely new car and the reason was they had a huge retooling project to do to produce the new vette?

I don't know if chevy had skads of inventory or 82 vettes at the time or if they had new german bean counting owners that really could give a ratshit over what anybody in america thought or did. And I don't think they shut down for a year to figure out how to upgrade an engine and design a new hood.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only thing large corporations care about is money and that's the way it should be if you are an investor. DC tried appealing to a wider demographic with the Viper and it didn't work. The Corvette skipping 1983 was not conjecture on my part, it is a fact.

I recall crying when I first saw the 1984 Corvette, much as I wept when the first SRT's came out.

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will try and dig up where I read it but It said their will be no 07 viper and they will come out with a 08 new body style and 625hp.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
definetly right no '83 production vettes and only one produced. there will be an '08 viper and probably an '09 the next car gen IV has not been decided yet

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
definetly right no '83 production vettes and only one produced. there will be an '08 viper and probably an '09 the next car gen IV has not been decided yet

actually, there were 47 1983 corvettes produced, but none were ever sold-the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY has the only one in existance on display.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

actually, there were 47 1983 corvettes produced, but none were ever sold-the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY has the only one in existance on display.

What happened to the other 46?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They fell apart.

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Roofs probably flew off...

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly, I think you could build a business case BOTH ways. Keep producing the Viper or kill the brand.

No, I'm sure DCX is not making $$ on the car. With the low volume, it's hard to believe that they are.

Yes, Dodge has become their American performance division and the Viper is the top dog. As we all know, many, many people admire and love the Viper. 99.9% of those folks will never own one or even ride in one. However, they very well may buy another Dodge product, SRT or otherwise, as a result. A buddy of mine wants a Viper but just can't swing it at this point. He is on his second Durango. I honestly belive he somehow feels a little closer to the Viper by having a Durango in his garage.

It's amazing how many non-DCX companies use Vipers in their ads. They catch my eye all the time. It is rather curious that DCX doesn't use it more in image propaganda. Not a good sign I must say.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WHY does anyone think that D-C would announce a newer, faster, higher HP Viper at VOI when there are MANY NEW UNSOLD 2005's sitting at dealers in addition to the unsold 2006's? There are HUGE incentives on SRT-10s - something that has NEVER been done in the past. SRT-10 convertibles are eligible for employee sales / corporate partner sales programs. (I think trucks are too - but NO OTHER SRT products.) The fact that SRT didn't have to use incentives to move product used to be huge source of pride.

A 2008 announcement would literally kill the dealers with remaining inventory (we ARE heading into fall - and the holidays - not usually the hottest time of the year for anything that runns 345's in the rear....) There would be a revolt. And then - they would lose money on EVERY SINGLE ONE. Not exactly one for the plus column for the business case for continuing the car.

My guess is this:
1) There will be a 2008 Viper. I would not expect to see anything official until next year.

2) Reason for timing of #1 - they figured that's how long it's gonna take to move the remaining inventory without strapping a free Caliber to the trunck of each one.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was no '92 Mazda RX-7. Within 2-3 years, the RX-7, the 300Z-TT and the Supra were all mid-$40k price range. After just three model years ('96) they stopped the RX-7 altogether. Around the same time, the Nissan Z car ceased to be, as did the Toyota Supra. Mazda came back with the RX-8 (A huge disappointment as a sports car by most standards), Nissan released the 350Z, which has sold VERY well, and Toyota is getting ready to come back with the Supra (And Nissan is bringing the Skyline GT-R to the US). When the previous models died off, it was because the original demographic of these cars (the 20 and 30 somethings) who had that kind of buying power were using their money to buy an SUV. The manufacturers had out-priced their own market and had to 'reinvent' the class at a lower price point. Mazda compromised with the rotary 4-seater with marginal power, Nissan hit it right on the head with a sub-$30K 2-seater with ~300 HP, and the rumor is that the new Supra will be a great contender as it tries to live up to it's heritage.

The Viper is certainly a different story because of it's different market. However, I wonder if the "raw sports car" appeal that the Viper has had (no driver aids, cup-holders, etc) is not as appealing to the target demographic anymore when you have the option of a Z06 that is cheaper, faster, more 'elegant' etc. Could Dodge be struggling with the 'image' of the car in relation to its' contender(s)?

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently took my car in to the shop for a sticking valve stem seal and asked them to throw the roller rockers on while they were in there. What's that, a one day job max, plus time to get the right pushrods? So, five weeks later I finally get my car back and the mechanic tells me outright that the store is more concerned with the Jeeps and Chryslers they are selling in droves. They bumped my car every day for new sales warranty work.

What does this have to do with whether or not there is a new Viper? It says DC makes bigger and better money easier ways. There may be a GenIV, but their heart is not really in it. The profits come from the 300's and Neon's, they no longer need the Viper to give the marquee some appeal. The Viper probably never was profitable, but served a purpose up until now. When it serves no purpose, it'll go.

mit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not going to speculate but let me ask this: how far can they take the big motor, no frills concept? By that I mean, will a 1000 horsepower Viper with no all wheel drive and no traction control sell? Especially with no weight savings? In other words, the Viper Value add has always been power. With sedans pushing 500 horsepower what can Dodge do to spur sales?
At some point, the lightweight, no frills car hits a horsepower number where you have to do something to artificially add traction or you are going to kill people and have a car no one will insure. I think 550 is as high as they can go and then it's time to cut weight. Cutting weight and meeting safety and emissions requirements is not an easy thing to do. I don't think it's as easy as changing body panels and bumping power to 650. I very well could be wrong.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently took my car in to the shop for a sticking valve stem seal and asked them to throw the roller rockers on while they were in there. What's that, a one day job max, plus time to get the right pushrods? So, five weeks later I finally get my car back and the mechanic tells me outright that the store is more concerned with the Jeeps and Chryslers they are selling in droves. They bumped my car every day for new sales warranty work.

i am feeling a little better. i thought it was just me getting that treatment. :2tu:

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was no '92 Mazda RX-7. Within 2-3 years, the RX-7, the 300Z-TT and the Supra were all mid-$40k price range. After just three model years ('96) they stopped the RX-7 altogether.

FWIW the RX7 was still available in parts of Europe, Australia and Japan until 2002. Sales of sports cars in the US were very weak in the mid 90's.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not going to speculate but let me ask this: how far can they take the big motor, no frills concept? By that I mean, will a 1000 horsepower Viper with no all wheel drive and no traction control sell? Especially with no weight savings? In other words, the Viper Value add has always been power. With sedans pushing 500 horsepower what can Dodge do to spur sales?
At some point, the lightweight, no frills car hits a horsepower number where you have to do something to artificially add traction or you are going to kill people and have a car no one will insure. I think 550 is as high as they can go and then it's time to cut weight. Cutting weight and meeting safety and emissions requirements is not an easy thing to do. I don't think it's as easy as changing body panels and bumping power to 650. I very well could be wrong.

I agree, and if your not driving the car on a serious road course, you'll never know what the curent Vipers can do.

More HP is great but it's got to be usable.

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's amazing how many non-DCX companies use Vipers in their ads. They catch my eye all the time. It is rather curious that DCX doesn't use it more in image propaganda. Not a good sign I must say.

Yeah, AT&T I think it is, is running an add right now talking about how fast their high speed is and they show close up shots of the Viper. Not real easy to realize it's a Viper at first but those that know a Viper will catch it. I also just saw some other comerical where they mention unexpected expences and a new car or, the Viper is the new car. lol

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m no marketing guy.
But I can’t see what DC is getting out of the Viper.
They don’t use the Viper from time to time in a tv ad the way GM does with the Vette.
DC can’t be making much if anything by selling a few thousand Vipers every year.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see the end of the Viper.

The Viper DOES sell other dodge cars... the problem is the krauts HATE the Viper and all that it stands for... specifically American Superiority. They've stifled it since the first day they arrived. The last commercial with a Viper in it was the one with the fighter pilots driving to work... somehow I think that was before the krauts came in. Instead, we get Dr.Z telling us how much American cars sucked until they came in with their German engineering. They've spent the last 5 years making all of the German brands outrun the Viper. I find it odd that they can make a business case for all their AMG projects. :rolleyes:

It's time for the soul of the Cobra/Viper to once again hibernate and reincarnate somewhere else in the future. I'll have my wallet ready then.

Let's see some REAL marketing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFeBeoAxAY4
http://viper.dragtimes.com/viper/viperspincommercial.mov

The good old days... :(

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WHY does anyone think that D-C would announce a newer, faster, higher HP Viper at VOI when there are MANY NEW UNSOLD 2005's sitting at dealers in addition to the unsold 2006's? There are HUGE incentives on SRT-10s - something that has NEVER been done in the past. SRT-10 convertibles are eligible for employee sales / corporate partner sales programs. (I think trucks are too - but NO OTHER SRT products.) The fact that SRT didn't have to use incentives to move product used to be huge source of pride.

A 2008 announcement would literally kill the dealers with remaining inventory (we ARE heading into fall - and the holidays - not usually the hottest time of the year for anything that runns 345's in the rear....) There would be a revolt. And then - they would lose money on EVERY SINGLE ONE. Not exactly one for the plus column for the business case for continuing the car.

My guess is this:
1) There will be a 2008 Viper. I would not expect to see anything official until next year.

2) Reason for timing of #1 - they figured that's how long it's gonna take to move the remaining inventory without strapping a free Caliber to the trunck of each one.
They only have themselves to blame with their lame marketing efforts. But bringing out the vette really at VOI is truly stupid. :buttkick:

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My guess is this:

Nuff said, you dont get to eat your dessert until you finish your veggies. If Dodge reveals the new viper in the same ballpark range they would take hits on all the other cars not sold yet. They are giving incentives for people to buy them but they are still sitting on the lots. I dont think you will see another viper hit the streets until some of the current inventory can be liquidated.

Which begs the questions, should they have even revealed that there could possibly be a new viper? Was it a cover up for saying the viper was going out of production for a "year"? Would they have been better off saying the viper would no longer be made so people would buy them thinking that they wouldnt lose value as being the last of the kind?

With the rebates on the verts, several people (+ me) are not buying the coupe to keep from bathing in the same water some did with the vert. If the verts can be selling new for 67k then the coupes can, AND WILL, especially if the new diamond back is released. I, for one would not buy a coupe for 80k and have the diamond back come out and it's only worth 60k in 1 year.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who knows whether or not DCX will axe the Viper. It's all speculation. A year off to clear up some inventory problems is a good idea from a business stand point.

I doubt they lose money on every Viper sold, and I suppose that the trickle-down theory is what some hope for. Meaning, some folks will buy a different DCX product...just because of Viper heritage.

As for me, I do not own other modern Chrysler products. DCX simply does not build what I want these days.

Plus, DCX has other issues that need to be ironed out as mentioned here....

http://autoextremist.com/page6.shtml#table