HAS DC CANCELLED THE VIPER?

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper has to make money. Period. D-C has never been able to "quantify" the halo effect of the car and allow that number to be used to count in the profitability. The marketing folks don't have a clue - i.e. the car never gets used in advertising and in fact, they see it as a drain - MUCH easier for them to throw money at Caliber stuff and try to sell 40,000 than work too hard to sell 2500 Vipers. Each vehicle's viability is based on it's profitability and if the Viper can't be profitable - it will not continue.

If anyone has tried to point to a rather "intangible" item to use during a cost / benefit analysis in front of the bean counters in a large corporation - you'll know what I mean. Halo vehicle, image, marketing potential, etc. means jack to the finance weenies.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with the ones thinking there will be another Viper in the future, and that DC just didn't have anything feasible ready yet. I mean.. if they have plans leading towards the end of Viper, why even bother to do that Vette disappearing act at V.O.I. and not just wait until some time afterwards to release the bad news? To me that sounds unlogical, but then again what do I know :confused: Plus, as some already mentioned there is leftover inventory to get rid of before coming up with something new. All we have seen up until now are uncovered (except for hood) test mules, so either they are working on the production Firepower or (hopefully :crazy: ) something still to come.
Think that means that they are still working on the new styling we are all asking for and wanted to ask for additional feedback from current SRT owners at V.O.I. (note the already implemented return to gen 2-ish styling on the rear of the 06 coupes)?
But yea, I can also see the bean counters trying their best to make an end to it, looking at all those AMG cars being released in the past years, plus no mentioning of a future V.O.I.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The gen 3.5 will start deliveries in feb '07, that's a fact. my guess is that they also did not develop a new engine, hood, front facia, and possible rear facia for just one year, i'm guessing this means there is a commitment to make these cars through '09 model year at least!

RMBSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there really a huge backlog of Vipers at the factory or is that rumor?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All this "cancelled" talk while the Viper is one point behind first place Porsche in the WC manufacturer points and Archer today set a new record qualifying time and is sitting on the pole for the third time this year.

It wouldn't hurt if the posers would at least pretend to show some interest in sports car racing. Maybe even actually attend an event.

angleiron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The top on gen1/2 was an afterthought for the whiners like yourself (eh... I'd want a top too, thats why i drive a gts), but the car was meant to be driven with the top OFF. The Viper was meant to be no frills, all performance. The TRUE Viper (gen1) had no windows or AC for crying out loud! The rest of us are sissies. :D

I have since taken the top off, and it is NEVER going back on as long as I own the car...as he^^^^^is 100% correct!

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The RT10 IMO is one of the ugliest sports cars known to man. The roof
looks like it doesnt fit at all. It doesnt even look like a viper to me. I
would think someone would have to be stark raving mad to think and RT-10 looks
anywhere near as good as any GEN III.

The viper wasn't supposed to have a roof, side windows, or door locks. It was
built as a drivers car, not a touring car. No cup holders, no computers, no
power seats. There was another car being built if you wanted all that garbage -
still being built today as a matter of fact.

I am a viper purist and nothing, literally nothing, on the SRT resounds with
the car I fell in love with in 1993. Its not an evolution, its a gross,
cancerious mutation that if left unchecked will eventually grow into this:

You must be registered for see images

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All this "cancelled" talk while the Viper is one point behind first place Porsche in the WC manufacturer points and Archer today set a new record qualifying time and is sitting on the pole for the third time this year.

It wouldn't hurt if the posers would at least pretend to show some interest in sports car racing. Maybe even actually attend an event.

see you at laguna 19th-22nd, ill be helping out Al & the valaya crew.

Viper23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok...I know a few of you went to VOi and most of you did not. So here is the skinny on what was mentioned at the focus group and VOI.

1) Do you think that DC should produce a lesser performing Viper and sell that along with the V10 Viper? Similar to what GM is doing with their Corvettes. This would reduce the price and through volume, increase the profits of the Viper line-up.

No mentioning of possible VOI 10, the ending of VOI9 was very anti climatic. I almost felt like DC was telling me, "ok we are done and get the hell out." No one came on to end it. 99% of the people there were still sitting in their chairs waiting for something or someone and we did not know it was over till someone turned on the lights.

BTW, looks of a Viper (Gen 1, 2, 3) is all subjective. I personally think the new coupe looks really nice, but the RT10 and GTS has more of the aggressive muscle car look (that is what I like).

And saying that the RT10 doesn't look like a Viper is plain wrong. Even tho I like my GTS better than my RT10, there are definately many attributes of the RT10 that the GTS will never have, the rear end for example. There is nothing better than driving an RT10 with the top off when the sun is shinning.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
1) Do you think that DC should produce a lesser performing Viper and
sell that along with the V10 Viper? Similar to what GM is doing with their
Corvettes. This would reduce the price and through volume, increase the
profits of the Viper line-up.

I thought that was the point of producing the Firepower! and shutting down the
production line for a year? You mean they were asking opinions now?? That's
putting the cart before the horse methinks.

I'm looking forward to the Firepower! if they have a non-300C model option.
(The concept had way too much chrome for my taste.)

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My thought exactly.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is what I heard at VOI9 from those in the know (with some reading between the lines.)

The 2008 Viper is definately a go.

The Firepower is not necessarily a go.

The new Viper will be formally announced in 60 - 120 days. I'm guessing at the North American International Auto Show in Jan since it is within that timeline.

It will be more aggressive looking than the current Viper.

There will be an ACR version.

It will put the Viper back on top of the horsepower wars.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you as the kettle, resent the *** calling you black, so you take the high road by calling him a dark shade of charcoal?

You are no better than the gen1/2 hardheads you point the finger at. The GTS is "awkward", but you want one? The C5 has classic lines? BWAHAHAHAHAHHA! Stay with the vettes... you have NO IDEA WHAT A VIPER IS! The top on gen1/2 was an afterthought for the whiners like yourself (eh... I'd want a top too, thats why i drive a gts), but the car was meant to be driven with the top OFF. The Viper was meant to be no frills, all performance. The TRUE Viper (gen1) had no windows or AC for crying out loud! The rest of us are sissies. :D

Yes, the SRT's look great. Not as outrageous, but great in it's own way, and performance is top notch. The SRTC is an artistic abomination... the aggressive edges of the srt, with the **** curves of the GTS stapled on. But once you can get over the design laziness, the car still looks awesome!

LOL, Just because you like a car means that you have to love every part of it? I dont like the front end of the C5 but I bought one anyways. I love my cars but they are not perfect. I was relating the GTS guys to the vette guys who like the classic lines. I dont have the taste for the C6 but I dont bash it and blame it for the demise of the car. Those are two completely different things. Why dont you read before you type. I agree that some of the lines dont match on the SRTC but some of the people around here act like its a POS or something. Styling cues from the corvette? When the SRT came out first? Garbage. Just sick of all the bashing around here.

You see it on every board too. The previous generation stang guys hate the new mustang, The C5 vette guys dont like the C6, and the GEN I/II guys dont like the SRT, The bmw guys, the benz guys. It's all a big joke to me and gets old.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My thought exactly.

Worth repeating IMO

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My brother called me last night after talking with Tommy Archer. He couldn't believe what a great, down to earth guy he was.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You see it on every board too. The previous generation stang guys hate the new mustang, The C5 vette guys dont like the C6, and the GEN I/II guys dont like the SRT, The bmw guys, the benz guys. It's all a big joke to me and gets old.

Thanks, I wondered that. I rarely visit other boards. From just reading this board I thought Viper owners were the biggest whiners on the planet (by some, myself included I'm sure).

But it will still take some doing to convince me otherwise.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DC has not cancelled the Viper. In fact they are considering a Drama Queen special edition for the complainers on this board. Each vehicle will come with a voice activated recorder which plays back through the radio. This feature will allow each respective Drama Queen to hear and replay the sound of his or her own voice engaging in high level whining and mental ************. It will also come with wheels that change color to indicate the mood of the driver. Lastly, each vehicle will have an engraved plate on the center console with the name of the owner, the date of manufacture and "Drama Queen Edition number__."
There will also be a special toll free number accessble by PIN which will allow each original owner of a DQE to call at any time of the day or night and express his or her dissatisfaction.

Reaction score
DC has not cancelled the Viper. In fact they are considering a Drama Queen special edition for the complainers on this board. Each vehicle will come with a voice activated recorder which plays back through the radio. This feature will allow each respective Drama Queen to hear and replay the sound of his or her own voice engaging in high level whining and mental ************. It will also come with wheels that change color to indicate the mood of the driver. Lastly, each vehicle will have an engraved plate on the center console with the name of the owner, the date of manufacture and "Drama Queen Edition number__."
There will also be a special toll free number accessble by PIN which will allow each original owner of a DQE to call at any time of the day or night and express his or her dissatisfaction.

This, coming from a man who has likely complained the most about some of the members here and their "offensive posts"! I guess YOU would be in line for DQE #1??? :)

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are right. I definitely criticize some of the posts. However, my intended comedic/ sarcastic comment did not address the issue of criticising sophomoric and/or distasteful posts that usually belong in Viper Alley but are not posted there. It goes to those persons who are constantly dissatisfied with Vipers no matter what DC does or does not do as opposed to entering posts that contribute, in a positive way, to the enhancement and continuance of the Viper and the Viper Nation. Call me a Viper loyalist if you wish, I consider the title an honor. The best way to support the continuing existence of the Viper and the Viper Nation is to step up to the plate and buy a new one. Adding HP to personal taste and the necessary mods to balance the car for the HP upgrade is relatively inexpensive.

red98RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds great! But....does it have the increased horsepower too? :bonker:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds great! But....does it have the increased horsepower too? :bonker:
No... but traction control is a must. :rolleyes:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every year viper made to date from '92-current has traction control......... It's called the drivers rt foot!

Andy Pilgrim could have used TC in yesterday's WC race when he spun uncontrollably at the start.

Oh wait, he did have TC. It just malfunctioned.

Pilgrim said of the start to his race. "I had a terrible start. It wasn’t my fault, in a sense, that we didn’t have traction control. With no TC, it just spun violently off the line. I have no idea why."

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every year viper made to date from '92-current has traction control......... It's called the drivers rt foot!

Andy Pilgrim could have used TC in yesterday's WC race when he spun uncontrollably at the start.

Pilgrim said of the start to his race. "I had a terrible start. It wasn’t my fault, in a sense, that we didn’t have traction control. With no TC, it just spun violently off the line. I have no idea why."

Think Simpsons: HA- HA :buttkick:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Answer to the original question. No.
Answer to the original question: Chevy is racing the C6-R, Chrysler is drifting the CC. Drifting into oblivion.

Yeah, GM whoopin' up in a class with two other cars. Whoopie.

Viper CC is dominating both in number of entries and points in a field of 30+ cars that includes Chevy, Cadillac, Pontiac, Porsche, Aston Marton, Nissan, Saleen, Ford, Volvo, Subaru and a few I've missed.

But you go enjoy your ALMS and it's gazillion different classes with a couple makes in each. Fun.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

LOL, He could ask any Viper driver. Welcome to our world Andy.

I guess it goes along with winning a series without winning a single race. :bonker:

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
But you go enjoy your ALMS and it's gazillion different classes with a couple makes in each. Fun.

Next year by a new ruling to support the series leader it will now be known as the Audi LeMans Series.

On the other hand...I will be enjoying my Gen II at Willowsprings next week regardless if they annouce the end or not.

I will enjoy what I have and consider myself lucky to have had the experience.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is what I heard at VOI9 from those in the know (with some reading between the lines.)

The 2008 Viper is definately a go.

The Firepower is not necessarily a go.

The new Viper will be formally announced in 60 - 120 days. I'm guessing at the North American International Auto Show in Jan since it is within that timeline.

It will be more aggressive looking than the current Viper.

There will be an ACR version.

It will put the Viper back on top of the horsepower wars.

I really like what's above same things I'm looking for...BUT

The 2008 viper isn't completely offical to me until some sort of proof, other than them test muels Brenda found. Another poster mentioned the fact that the 07 might have some revised body work. I could see that happening. Anything beyond 2007, I can't see it happening just yet the way DC is being run.

As for the Firepower, I wish DC could see this in the biggest caps letters ever...SCRAP IT! Please dear god I can't stand that car. The viper's biggest threat of dissapearing is not a vette. There's nothing about that guppy looking car that attracts me. There is no aggresive-ness in alot of the Chrysler/Dodge line-up unlike it was when the viper first came out. Everything is to square these days, You think a 20 year old wants to buy a blocky Caliber? Should have keep the Neon..period.

Now back to what I mentioned before about aggressive-ness in the line-up. There's only THREE vehicles that I can think of that catch my eye. The viper, The ram SRT, and the Challenger. I always thought that the older 2001 Stratus R/T model was a pretty nice example of a car with some great angles. Sadly DC saw it as just another car.

DC DOES listen, if they didn't, most likely they wouldn't have gone back to the drawing board and designed that really cool, retro-looking, menacing, 2-door, orange beast that we wanted. I'll bet a 60% chance, at most, a next gen snake will show up at the North American Inter. Auto Show. It only seems right to do it there.

This club, site, forum has some of the coolest people I've ever met. I got my dream to be in a viper about 7 years ago at 10 years of age at Englishtown, NJ in a 700hp GTS with a professional driver at the wheel going from 0-95mph in about 3 seconds in 500-700 feet.

Most impressive thing I've ever been in has been a viper. I've been in some pretty wicked cars since but that first ride left an lasting impression on my life. 7 years later I'm still unoffically part of the club, but I very generously get invited to events, do what I love to do (photography) and loving every minute of it.

Getting one of these will take me a while to save up for it, dropping it now while just make my chances worse of acutally getting one....

One more thing, as far as new models go I don't care. If it's got the name, the back off stance and the same push you back in the seat power, it's still a viper. :2tu:

--RS