Has the SRT been to the 'Ring?

rschiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has the SRT been to the \'Ring?

With all the latest ring talk and various articles in magazines, I was curious, has an SRT been timed at the 'ring?

Thanks,

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Has the SRT been to the \'Ring?

I haven't seen anything in any magazines.

I would think that the SRT-10 would need some serious suspension tuning before it could do well there.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score

It would need taller gears -- just like the Vette has ... I would guess 3.33s or 3.55s

OP
OP
R

rschiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the responses. I bet a SRT with Motons and some other mods could do pretty well on the ring.

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score

It would need taller gears -- just like the Vette has ... I would guess 3.33s or 3.55s

Those would be shorter gears. Taller would be 2.73s.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes, it was on a wet track with a German driver clearly unfamiliar with driving the SRT-10.

It says a LOT that he got a miserable 8:13 when the Europe-hobbled GTS Viper tested previously (with about 400HP) managed 8:10. Also by someone unfamiliar with the car. :confused:

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, DC has chosen NOT to actively campaign the Viper at the Ring. Cars like the Porsche 911 are run there nearly every day, so the fact that there is no real standard about traffic and track conditions, weather, and different driver's skill is not as much of a factor with so many Ring track times to compare (for the 911).

But for cars like the Viper that have only been run once or twice there (and usually by newbie drivers to the Viper), the Ring ends up being one of the WORST comparative tests out there. :(

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Okay European owners. Whay not schedule a track day and have at it. I know some of you track regularly elsewhere so how about it.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Okay European owners. Whay not schedule a track day and have at it. I know some of you track regularly elsewhere so how about it.

That would be cool, although only big corps. can afford real testing where professional drivers and 'out of this world' on track tuning are required. DC will need to step in if we ever want to see a really good time. It would be great if they did so, just to shut up all the internet posers...

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not sure I agree. I think if experienced Viper owners, who have track experience, took a half dozen or dozen laps they should do pretty well. Better yet if they have Ring experience but I think Viper experience is probably more valuable. I think anyone can go and pay per lap.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not sure I agree. I think if experienced Viper owners, who have track experience, took a half dozen or dozen laps they should do pretty well. Better yet if they have Ring experience but I think Viper experience is probably more valuable. I think anyone can go and pay per lap.

I have to disagree big-time. The difference in lap times between a top notch professional driver with YEARS of experience at a track (not to mention one +/- 10 miles long) and a good driver that tracks his ride on the weekend is astronomical. Kind of like Michael Jordan in his prime vs. the best guy at the local YMCA.

Let's take Mid-Ohio for an example. I would be willing to give a Lemans winner Viper driver a good 5-7 seconds per lap against a typical Viper Days amatuer (a very good amatuer). And this is being very conservative. Now toss in a week for that professional team to specifically tune the Viper for that track, that day, those weather conditions. I'd tack on another 2-3 seconds. So your talking close to 10 seconds (if not more) on a track that is 2.5 miles long. Now make that track 4 times as long, way more technical, etc.... You can only imagine the difference..... Let's not forget, GM used a World renowned driver with years of experience at the 'Ring. He is one of the best. I'm not knocking GM, as this has brought much publicity to the Vette. But it is not a fair comparision unless DC uses the same effort to establish a time. Even then the test would only be truly valid if performed on the same day, as weather conditions play a significant role on lap times.

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You would be so scared of the 'Ring' god knows I was, you can carry a hell of a lot of speed into bends without realising it can be sunshine at the start and raining down the hill it has, blind brows, bends where hairpins look like flat in top, lefthanders go right and any number of things to fool you fastest lap time so far is 7:15 by a road car. :rolleyes:

A 911 Turbo with full cage, airjacks and a sequential box....some road car

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery