Have you ever been asked"How many Vipers to Vettes?" some interesting info

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you ever been asked\"How many Vipers to Vettes?\" some interesting info

Have you ever been asked “How many Vipers were made?” or “How many Vipers were made compared to the Vette?” I’ve been asked that more than once.
I’ve never been able to answer it other than “ I don’t know, I know there’s less Vipers than Vettes”

I’m sure someone will say “This has been posted before” but I’m going to do it anyway and add a twist.

I did all models all years across the board.

To be fair in my comparisons I did the following.

I combined all RT10’s,GTS’s and ACR’s for each year (they were made) for the Viper
I combined all Coupes,Convertibles and Fixed roofs for each year(they were made) for the Vette

I took the years of 92 – 2002 (10 year span) and these were the results

Total production
Yrs/ /Vipers/ /Vette/ /Difference

92/ /285/ /20479/ /20194
93/ /1043/ /21590/ /20547
94/ /3083/ /23330/ /20247
95/ /1577/ /20742/ /19165
96/ /1887/ /21536/ /19649
97/ /1788/ /9752/ /7964
98/ /1216/ /31084/ /29868
99/ /1463/ /33270/ /31807
00/ /2007/ /33682/ /31675
01/ /1978/ /35627/ /33649
02/ /1622/ /35767/ /34145
Viper =17949/ Vette= 286859

There was 268910 more Corvettes made in that 10 year span

What the totals tells us is………

For every Viper made there is 16 Corvettes! (actually 15.98)

Producing these cars a day is……….
All of UAW has a average of 235 build days a year (2 week shutdown in July-model change and 1 Week shut down at Xmas + Holidays)

Take all years and average that by the number built and days available that averages to

8 Vipers built a day (7.64 actually but I’m rounding up)
122 Corvettes built a day (122.07 actually)

Wow! 8 cars a day! If you were a business owner that’s not that good! You wouldn’t stay in business long.

Now Let’s take a look at revenue generated for the car company’s involved here

Please this is for fun and is only a estimate! It’s very hard to average the price of each car, each year, dealer mark up blah blah blah

I’m going to say a viper over those 10 years averaged $70,000 (Guessing?)
I’m going to say the Corvette average over those 10 years is $40,000 (I’m sure that is a little low)

Viper generated $1,256,430,000.00
Vette generated $11,474,360,000.00

Over 10 Billion Dollars separates the two cars! :eek:

What does this tell us?...............Absolutely nothing! :rolleyes:

Will Spring get here Please……………… :2tu:

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Have you ever been asked\"How many Vipers to Vettes?\" some interesting info

lol, i did enjoy reading this and yes spring is close. 70 in maryland today and
i plan on taking the viper out later today. :2tu: i'll count the number of
vette's i see and post later. :D

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Have you ever been asked\"How many Vipers to Vettes?\" some interesting info

Here's another meaningless fact...I can count the number of Vipers that I have seen on the road during that time on one hand. :needpics:

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here's yet another trivial fact. That is actualy 11 years, but who's counting? :D

OP
OP
V

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here's yet another trivial fact. That is actualy 11 years, but who's counting? :D

:buttkick:

My mistake

The only numbers that change is the average built

7 Vipers built a day avg (6.94 actual)
111 Vettes built a day avg (110.97 actual)

All other facts remain the same

In case anyone cared :2tu:

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Actually the viper is in it's 15th model year of production, my how time flies when your going fast.

OP
OP
V

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Actually the viper is in it's 15th model year of production, my how time flies when your going fast.

I couldn't get production numbers for 04 and 05 for Vipers (2003 are listed here) If I get those I can add in the numbers

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Interesting read. I always suspected it was 20 to 1.

What happened in 1997?

DEADEYE

Viper Owner
Reaction score

What happened in 1997?

First year introduction of the C5. :confused:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Have you ever been asked

I generally just tell people that they make more vettes in one year than they have ALL Vipers since it's production.

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I generally just tell people that they make more vettes in one year than they have ALL Vipers since it's production.

Now you can say that they make two times the number of the full run of Vipers for any Vette year, if that makes sense ;-)

Santo

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In comparison Ferrari made over 19,000 360 Modenas in just 5 years (99-04).

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow. I never would have guessed that there were fewer Vipers made than Modenas over the 99-04 period. A rare snake indeed! I just wish it would stop raining in Indy. :-(

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

Very interesting stuff, thanks!

While we are on the subject of numbers and percentages and the like-

Did you also know that 62.4% of all statistics are made up on the spot? :)

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Also let's not forget that there was 40 more years of production of Corvettes before 1992.

CO GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I read a report the other day proving that 73.4% of all statistics are meaningless! ;)

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

I read a report the other day proving that 73.4% of all statistics are meaningless! ;)

LOL!!! :)

M. ROD

Enthusiast
Reaction score

how time flies when your going fast.

Actually, it's the other way around

Everyone knows that we move in time, at the rate of 24 hours per day. And everyone knows that we can move through space, at rates ranging from a snail’s pace to those of supersonic aircraft and the space shuttles. But relatively few people know that motion through space is related to motion in time. The first person to understand the relationship was Albert Einstein. Einstein went beyond common sense when he stated that in moving through space we also change our rate of proceeding into the future -- time itself is altered.

If you stand still, then all your traveling is through time. If you move a bit, then some of your travel is through space and most of it is still through time. What happens to time if you were to travel through space at the speed of light? The answer is that all your traveling would be through space, with no travel through time! You would be as ageless as light, for light travels through space only(not time) and is timeless. Motion in space affects motion in time. Whenever we move through space, we to some degree alter our rate of moving into the future. This is time dilation, a stretching of time that occurs ever so slightly for everyday speeds, but significantly for speeds approaching the speed of light.

A dramatic illustration of time dilation is the classic case of the identical twins, one an astronaut who takes a high-speed round trip journey while the other stays home on earth. When the traveling twin returns, he is younger than the stay-at-home twin. How much younger depends on the relative speeds involved. If the traveling twin maintains a speed of 50% the speed of light for one year, 1.15 years will have elapsed on earth. If the traveling twin maintains a speed of 87% the speed of light for a year, then 2 years will have elapsed on earth. At 99.5% the speed of light, 10 earth years would pass in one spaceship year. At this speed the traveling twin would age a single year while the stay-at-home twin ages 10 years.

Astronauts traveling at 99% the speed of light could go to the star Procyon (11.4 light years distant) and back in 22.6 years in earth time. It would take light itself 22.8 years in earth time to make the same round trip. Because of time dilation, it would seem that only 3 years had gone by for the astronauts. All their clocks would indicate this, and biologically they would be only 3 years older. It would be the space officials greeting them on their return who would 22.6 years older.

At higher speeds the results are even more impressive. At a speed of 99.90% the speed of light, travelers could travel slightly more than 70 light years in a single year of their own time. At 99.99% the speed of light, this distance would be pushed appreciably further than 200 years. A 5- year trip for them would take them farther than light travels in 1000 earth - time years.

Such journeys seem impossible to us today. The amounts of energy involved to propel spaceships to such relativistic speeds are billions of times the energy used to put the space shuttles into orbit. The problems of shielding radiation induced by these high speeds seems formidable. If and when these problems are overcome and space travel becomes routine, people will have the option of taking a trip and returning in future centuries of their choosing. One might depart and try out the year 3000 for style. People could keep jumping into the future with some expense of their own time, but they could not trip into the past. They could never return to the same era on earth that they bid farewell to. Time, as we know it, travels only one way -- forward.

So, as your speed increases, time “SLOWS DOWN”.

(putting flame suit on) :bonker:

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

there is no time,there is only change. Time is a mechanical measuement we use as a convention. time is not even that precise a measurement either, or we would not have to add in leap years, and leap seconds. And when did we start counting, whose calender do you want to use? Or should i say when did which man or society start to keep track?

M. ROD

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is there space outside the universe? Or is space only within the universe? Does the universe exist in time, or does time exist only within the universe? Was there time before the universe came to be? Will there be time if the universe ceases to exit? :confused:

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The most important question of all is...who has the TIME to read all of this stuff taking up valuable forum SPACE? :bonker:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

Now we are talking some good stuff!

Here are a few more thoughts-

Since mankind has been measuring the speed of light, it has been showing a "slowing". Not much, ever so small, but still a change nevertheless. This holds true for the different methods of measurement, regardless of which one used, from the first measurements to current ones, all methods are pointing to the fact that the speed of light is not a constant. It is reasonable to assume that light is subject to the same forces of entropy that everything else in the universe is subject to, light is not an exception. Extrapolating further, if we use light as our "yardstick" of measuring distances in the observable universe, it is, unfortunately, a "variable" unit of measurement, and so when viewing the light from the farthest stars, the calculated distance could be off by a great percentage, giving a false measurement of that stars' distance, and therefore the time it took the light to reach Earth. The farther away the star is, the more the error factor is compounded. If light is indeed slowing down, then the distance to the farthest star may be closer than calculated, using the currently accepted yardstick of 186,000 miles per second. To make matters worse, the rate of change or decrease in the speed of light itself may not be linear, but rather exponential, meaning that the rate of decay in the speed of light may be increasing faster than it was before. Looking at light from stars is like looking backwards in time, but distorted. Mankind has only been measuring the speed of light for a relatively short time, just a blink of an eye in the parade of history, so the exact details of lights' consistency in velocity, or lack thereof, and it rate of change is not clear at this time. Suffice to say that our concept of the age of stars, and their distances from earth may not be as cut and dried as popularly held.

This may account for the difference in the two methods of calculating the age of the universe, if I remember right from high school astronomy class, one uses the red shift effect and extrapolates backwards to the big bang, the other uses the calculated distance of the farthest star based on the known speed of light. These two methods seem rock solid mathematically, yet do not square with each other by a huge margin. Which one is correct? And if the speed of light is not an absolute constant, how do you prove distance, or even time?

An interesting experiment was the Hubble space telescope "far field" view- They aimed the Hubble at the darkest corner of the sky, so as not to be pointing it at any stars. Then they zoomed in, and found more stars in the field of view. Ever so slightly, they aimed away from those points of light, and zoomed in again. More stars were found, so they again aimed away from the lights, and they kept doing this until they had achieved the the maximum zoom of the space telescope, in teh darkest corner of the sky. What do you think they found? Hundreds of thousands of GALAXIES! Where are those galaxies now? Thats almost unanswerable, because the light has taken so long to reach Earth, those galaxies have certainly moved by now, and we are only looking at photons that traveled eons through time, (possibly), and strike the optic lens of the Hubble long after the origin of that light has moved elsewhere. It is possible that light is also "curving" through space, due to the gravitational effect of the so-called "black holes" found at the center of every galaxy, having extremely dense mass and extrodinary gravitational pull, and that light we see may not be traveling in a straight line at all. For all we know, it could be making a circle through space and time, and the Hubble could be looking at our own corner of the cosmos from the "backside", albeit from ages past! To further cloud your thinking, if there was a "big-bang", it may be a cyclical event, like the Matrix, and there may been many "big-bangs", like a cosmic yo-yo, that once expands, only to contract again. What does that portend for the calculated age of the universe? It renders any age measurement meaningless, and leaves us back where we were, gazing up at the night sky in childish wonder, as mankind has been doing for thousands of years.

Reminds me of the two goldfish, debating the existence of a higher intelligence than their own. One says "there is nothing else but them", the other says, "Yeah, but who changes the water?"

We are also in a gold fish bowl of sorts, not having the perspective of eternity to measure either time or space, since all of our methods are limited by our current state of technology, which is based on what we know from the observable universe around us. In other places of the cosmos, we may find strange physical laws that we have not discovered yet. The more we learn, the more we realize that we know comparatively very little, and always have so much more to learn. Science is not a "destination", that once having arrived, you take off your coat, sit down, and feel satisfied that everything has been explained. Science is an on-going process, a never ending journey. What was once considered accepted common knowledge later gets disproven, as new information forces a re-write of the books. Anyone remember how Copernicus upset the accepted beliefs about the sun revolving around the Earth? The status quo will be upset over and over again, as old theroies give way to new insights that reconcile the limitations of the theories whose constructs could not fully answer the phenomenons of existence. Such a new theory is the string theory, or the theory of all things. Its a never ending state of change in science, in that we arrive on a plateau of knowledge, only to see a distant mountain top, and we again set course to ascend its heights. As always, we must try to explore the unknown, just like Magellan, and my hero Captain Kirk.

If you stand still, then all your traveling is through time. If you move a bit, then some of your travel is through space and most of it is still through time.

Interesting! Maybe thats why Viper owners feel such a sense of relief while driving fast, its like getting a lease on life!

We are all moving, even when sitting still. The world spins arounbd its axis, and revolves around the sun, and the whole galaxy itself revoles, and the galaxies may be revolving around each other! As I get older, I tend to think everything revolves around my aszhole. But I see your point, and hope to add some acceleration soon. Maybe when the rain clears, I'll take the GTS out of the gah-rahge, and take her for a spin.

What is really "stationary"? How can you prove anything is not moving? What "constant" could you point to to show relative motion or stillness? There is no such benchmark! Not for time, nor for motion.

Here is a inscrutable, yet useless, image to go along with my obscure post-

764space-time_continuum.JPG

I sure hope its sunny out tomorrow! Going through Viper withdrawls due to the rainy weather. Us "SoCal" guys aren't used to this!

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So if you are driving your Viper at night at the speed of light, which we all know is possible if you install Vipair, and you turn on your headlights, what happens to the light?

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

So if you are driving your Viper at night at the speed of light, which we all know is possible if you install Vipair, and you turn on your headlights, what happens to the light?

Good one! I think if you could go faster than the speed of light, the headlights might go dark, as the photons just collect on the back of the reflector, not having the requisite velocity to overcome the solar wind. (I call b.s. on this already!)

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

:buttkick:

My mistake

The only numbers that change is the average built

7 Vipers built a day avg (6.94 actual)
111 Vettes built a day avg (110.97 actual)

All other facts remain the same

In case anyone cared :2tu:

Wow, a 111 Vettes built a day???? :eek: I can not even imagine that. Now I understand their build quality issues.

What happened in 1997?

Transition to the C5 I believe.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In comparison Ferrari made over 19,000 360 Modenas in just 5 years (99-04).

Ferrari wants to capitalize on the "it" car syndrome. Just like the 328, 348, 355, 360 (highest production ever!), and now 430 except for the airbag issue. Every model the production numbers go up. I wonder what their build quality will be in 5 years. :D

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The light from the headlights would not be projecting forward since you are already traving at the speed of light.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow. I never would have guessed that there were fewer Vipers made than Modenas over the 99-04 period. A rare snake indeed! I just wish it would stop raining in Indy. :-(

I believe it... around here, I see one a month MINIMUM. I'd be lucky to see a Viper every other month.