Help a Rookie buy a Viper.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to buy from a private seller. I never buy from dealerships, to many bad experiences.

Are all stock Vipers dual exhaust out the back?

Pics anyone?
Yes except for the Gen I side pipe vipers.
I have pics in my gallery, check them out.
I still say go with the 99 RT/10. Sounds like it has everything your looking for. :2tu:
As far as Exhaust goes B&B exhaust sounds MEAN/throaty/and loud. ITS AWESOME :)

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I want to buy from a private seller. I never buy from dealerships, to many bad experiences.

Are all stock Vipers dual exhaust out the back?

Pics anyone?

Welcome aboard!!!
Regarding buying from a dealer...I wouldnt lump Bill P. in with the usual "dealer" types...he is top notch from what I have heard here over 5 years of posting here....
Do some research on him and you will see for yourself...
BTW: Sidepipes rule!!
Good luck on your search.
Cheers,

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the book "Buying a Viper"

BUYING A USED VIPER - What to Look For, what questions to ask

1. What dealer was the Viper originally or last purchased from?
2. What is the current mileage?
3. Is it still under factory warranty? (what was the "in service" date?) Extended / Transferable warranty?
4. Is the original window sticker available?
5. Do you have any of the original sales documentation?
6. What type of maintenance and / or repairs have been done to the car? (Records?)
7. Who performed / performs the repairs / maintenance?
8. When was the last service performed and what did it entail?
9. Does it have the stock radio?
10. Is there ANY curb rash on ANY of the wheels?
11. Has the car been driven in the rain? (cleanliness of the underside and wheel wells)
12. Are there equal gaps at the bottom sides of the hood, where the hood sides meet the top of the rocker panel? (just behind the front wheels) Pictures?
13. Are there equal gaps at the front "leading edge" sides of the hood where it meets the front bumper? (outermost front edge, towards the rear of the headlights) Pictures?
14. Are there ANY scrapes to the front spoiler? (under the car, black lip spoiler)
15. Are there ANY scrapes to the front fascia? (body colored front end, underneath)
16. Under the front of the car, have the leading or front portion of the front frame rails been scraped / bottomed out?
17. Are there any scratches, dents, scrapes to the inside door jambs (black painted areas)?
18. Are there any scrapes, dings, chips, etc to the rocker panel sides OR their undersides?
19. Does the A/C blow cold?
20. Do all switches and accessories operate properly?
21. Are there any fine cracks or surface spider-webbing cracks in / on the hood?
22. Will the hood stay up on its own?
23. Are the side bolsters of the seats (drivers in particular) showing any wear?
24. Do the doors close cleanly and flush and open without "dropping down" / sagging when opening? (sign of weak hinges)
25. Is the Viper garage kept?
26. Why are you selling?
27. What is your age?
28. What major city are you near?

BUYING A USED VIPER - A Primer by John Slaughter

Here is a general list of questions. It does not have
year-specific questions, for example, for the 98 whether it has the upgraded fan. It does have a few RT/10 specific questions though. Hopefully this can be of help to others.

Used Viper Questions:
General:
1.Year?
2. Price?
3. Mileage?
4. Clean title?
5. VIN #?
6. Existing lien?
7. In service date?

Equipment:
1. Stock / original, or minor / moderate modifications (K&N filters, smooth tubes)
(headers, hi-flow cats, cat-back system, or more?)
Rear wing?
2. Exterior and Interior Color? (Body stripes - painted or vinyl) Interior mods?
3. Nature of radio / CD player (stock, single in-dash, trunk player, etc.)?
4. Soft-top, hardtop, or both? Condition of each
5. Bag for soft-top?
6. Bikini top and bag
7. Tonneau cover? Side windows? (Gen1)
8. Car cover?
9. Existing Factory warranty / extended warranty (or provide after-market warranty)?

Condition:
1. General overall condition (any nicks, chips, scratches, window cracks, etc.)?
2. Involved in an accident(s), damaged, repainted, (telltale signs) etc.?
3. Condition under front bumper / front lip spoiler?
4. Condition of top(s)? (Soft-top sagging? Exterior condition?) Scratches on sport bar? Sport Bar cap missing?
5. How maintained? Records? (One owner? How many and how long) Documentation / Paperwork? DOCUMENTATION AND HISTORY of maintenance and sale(s) / owner(s)
6. Leather condition? (Split/cracked/worn?)
7. Tire condition? Brand/Size (Reasonable tread?)
8. Wheels (condition, nicks, curb rash?) Stock wheels for the particular year or aftermarket
9. Carpet / Floor mats condition?
10. Smoker / non-smoker?
11. Nitrous or other power adder used?
12. Used for track events (strip, track, Viper Days and autocross)?
13. Condition of the rocker panels (top and underside, chips, yellowing, sandblasted)
14. Condition of inside the door / rocker area
15. Scrapes under front bumper / spoiler?
16. Bottomed out?
17. 998 / 999 recall work done (if applicable) and done CORRECTLY. Documented?
18. Head gaskets (Gen1) Documentation?
19. Hood alignment (symmetrical?) Any hairline cracks? Hinges keep hood up?
20. Doors close well (no drooping / sagging-bad hinges)

Buying from a dealer
1. Processing fees?
2. Taxes? (out of state?)
3. Delivery

Differences between GenI and GenII: there are other differences (besides the exhaust) that stand out:

1. The engine
The majority of reference to “GenI and GenII” refers to engine changes, as there are several differences between the two engines, not the least of which is horsepower. GenI was rated at 400hp, later GenI (96) were rated at 415, and the GenII is rated at 450 (ACR & GT2 rated at 460 due to smooth tubes and filters).

2. The hood
The GenI cars have "smoothie" hoods with no NACA duct between the headlights and no vents above the wheel wells. The cars look different from the front with these changes.

3. Suspension
Changed to GenII suspension in 96. Both the GTS and RT have the same GenII components.

4. Exhaust
Went to rear exit exhaust in 1996

5. Other changes
Power windows, airbags, steering wheel, method of opening the doors, differential housing, CD player, speedometer, wheels, all changed from GenI to GenII
ABS added in 2001
Forged pistons deleted in 2000
Lumpy cam deleted in 2000

OP
OP
G

gringoray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update

Gentlemen, I did not forget about you guys, just real busy these days. Anyhow, I might be a Viper owner real soon, and if I am, I'll post pics. I'd like to thank everyone in this thread for advising me on Vipers.

Again, Thanks and I'll keep you guys posted.

GR

1999GTSsilverwblue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with 99 being the best for future mods and it has the 18' that I like when I am on street wheel/tires.

I am partial to Silver with Blue stripes , if you can find one
It looks great clean doesn't look bad i little dirty. Dark colors tend to show fingerprint and small scratches as much as dark colors.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with 99 being the best for future mods and it has the 18' that I like when I am on street wheel/tires.

I am partial to Silver with Blue stripes , if you can find one
It looks great clean doesn't look bad i little dirty. Dark colors tend to show fingerprint and small scratches as much as dark colors.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Couldn't have said it better myself. But unfortunately you won't find any of those in a convertible.

9065S1010005-med.JPG

ZEUS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had your same dilemma this spring.

For me it came down to this.

If you are going to drive it daily, get the 97's or newer if you can---true windows are so useful.

But if you want it the way it all started, go Gen 1 (95 or earlier). I just bought my '94 as a toy only, and put on the 18" wheels (fairly cheap!). This car has no door handles, no windows, and side exhaust that can burn your girl's/kids legs----that is so f'ed up. That's the s#$t that gives me the biggest smile, its so BADASS---YOU KNOW THIS IS A TRUE TOY.

PS-no matter which Viper you go with, and no matter which cars you've ever driven, go ******* the gas only when wheel is straight...Be warned.

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry if what I said was misleading. I just meant I've heard from some of the side pipe guys that it sounds like a V5 to them b/c they only hear the exhaust on the driver side. But for one, I'd love side exhaust, I think it just looks what the Viper stands for..bad ass appearance and performance!

A V5? I didn't know V5s existed. Where's the last cylinder, in the middle? :p J/K, I think you meant straight or inline 5. :D :2tu:

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You really can buy from Pemberton with NO worries, he is a legend here with an immaculate reputation. They deliver in enclosed trailers anywhere in the US. Do yourself a favor and call him. He will educate you about the different models without pressure. I bet I spent 5 or 6 hours on the phone with him before I bought, and have now bought 4 cars from him. The same can be said for John Gastman at Roanoke Dodge, no worries at all buying from these guys.

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted on the Vette forum as well. Sorry to hear you couldn't find a Viper that would suit you. Some day you will and until then enjoy the Vette. It's a great car.

VIPER 93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I'm sorry to say, but I've decided against buying a Viper. I test rode a Viper yesterday and posted about my experience on Corvette Forum. Again, thanks for all the help and advice, maybe one day when the prices decrease a bit more, I'll think about buying a newer model, 99' and up.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?p=1556071959#post1556071959

Thanks again
Tell your buddies on the over produced sports car forum,if they could afford a viper they be driving one.Maybe you could pick our brains on another topic for 6 months.

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I'm sorry to say, but I've decided against buying a Viper. I test rode a Viper yesterday and posted about my experience on Corvette Forum. Again, thanks for all the help and advice, maybe one day when the prices decrease a bit more, I'll think about buying a newer model, 99' and up.

Thanks again
Tell your buddies on the over produced sports car forum,if they could afford a viper they be driving one.Maybe you could pick our brains on another topic for 6 months.

There's no point in slamming him for asking advice. He didn't buy a Viper. No biggie. He'll get one some day. I just think he test drove the wrong one. In the mean time he will enjoy his Vette and hopefully he will be back here one day as an owner. I still love Vette's and will own another one some day. I'm thinking after the Viper thouh it will either be an older classic or a C6 Z06.

Rizzo

VIPER 93

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Thanks again

There's no point in slamming him for asking advice. He didn't buy a Viper. No biggie. He'll get one some day. I just think he test drove the wrong one. In the mean time he will enjoy his Vette and hopefully he will be back here one day as an owner. I still love Vette's and will own another one some day. I'm thinking after the Viper thouh it will either be an older classic or a C6 Z06.

Rizzo

Did you read some of the posts on the vette forum ?
I owned a 68 vette years ago, Wish I still had it.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car was just not right for him. He is more interested in buying a C4 where you can get something for under 20 thousand. Vipers are not for everybody. He was just honest with his opinion. I wish him luck in finding a C4 that is "crazy fast" unlike the Viper that rides like a truck.

ViperJoe - you did him a big service on your long post. It was very professional. It will help out others at another time.

OP
OP
G

gringoray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gentlemen, please, I never said I was completely out of the game, I test rode a 95 R/10 and was not what I expected. I appreciate all the help you guys gave me in this thread. Next time around I will look for a 99 and up Viper, a coup with windows, I'm sure I will eventually buy one. I already own a C4 and planned on giving it to my step Dad if I got the Viper. Again, I'm not leaving ViperClub.org, you guys are way to nice here! :headbang:

Here's the Viper I test rode and did not buy: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=205189588&dealer_id=58098681&car_year=1995&mod_bookmark_id=null&search_type=used&num_records=&make=DODGE&distance=300&model=VIPER&address=32607&certified=&advanced=&max_price=40000&bkms=1152766667780&min_price=20000&end_year=1995&start_year=1995&isp=y&lang=en&cardist=95

Admins: Sorry for the page extending out! :eek:

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nothing compares to a 96-02 GTS. nothing. not even my 02 Z06. dumped that vett after my first ride in a gts & im still hunting my snake..

RainMaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use to drive an 03 Z06 before I got my 06 Viper. It was the RT back in 96 that got my juices going. You can't go wrong with any Viper you chose, however, the side pipes look cool, but they are hot as hell!

Anyway, keep looking!

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bro, Viper or Vette, I wish you well, after all a car nut can drive what ever he wants and still be accepted by all...

But, if your looking for cruise control, automatic windows,eletric seats and a comfortable ride you need to stay with a vette or something else, NOT an asp ripper like a Viper...

I read what you and the other guys said on the other forum, and for a minute I thought you were a troll, I quess we will see....

And BTW, for the guys on that other forum, remember it took the the Father of Viper going to Chevrolet to bring the Vette up to 21 century HP and performance, No, Viper has not been around as long as Vette, But we have been stomping their asp ever since 1992.who cares????? put out the stogie and lets line these puppies up and go racing..... :headbang:

V

venms96

9079DSCN4586-med.JPG

Test.......first attempt at posting Pic, and well.....maybe this will help make up your mind on which car to buy !
They are all great cars, colors, etc. Sounds like you want an RT-10. Check em all out first, look at the body styles, the stripes, the no-stripes (which you might like if you want subtle beauty) Yea, some cars have 18 inch wheels, they look great, but I still like the overall look of the earlier Gen II wheels. They don't fill out the wheel well as much, but they have more style. I like the 18's, but they are boring compared to the other ones. Just my opinion of course, and what my eyes see. Not a big deal, really. Find the color and the car you want from a Private Owner. It shouldn't be too tough of a search in your price range. Happy hunting.
I think my first attempt at posting a Pic is successful, thanks to Warfang and others who have posted, numerous times...how to post a damn Pic.

venms96
1996 GTS
SDMF

OP
OP
G

gringoray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude, I am not a troll.

Which year Viper came with auto windows? Which year has a softer, smoother ride? I'll look for a coup from now on, maybe a GTS....

Thanks

OP
OP
G

gringoray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Guys....

Sounds like I should buy a GTS with stripes, nice smooth ride, auto windows, A/C, etc. I really appreciate all the help. Where's the best place to look for a GTS Viper? I've checked the AutoTrader but few Vipers there and I'm not thrilled about driving a thousand miles to buy a Viper.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Woodhouse Dodge and Tator's Dodge are both EXCELLENT people to buy from. But check Ebay and AutoTrader as well. I found my Viper on AutoTrader and it was only 300 miles away. Any car you buy offline get someone to check out. I didnt know about this website when I bought my Viper, so I didnt get to ask anyone on here to go check it out, but I had the owner take it to his Dodge dealership and they had their Viper tech check everything out. He even paid the labor charge for that!

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOODHOUSE!!! BILL PEMBERTON!!! The guy emailed you, he has a car, all his cars are perfect, we all vouch for him! Do a search on his name. I've been here since 99 and NEVER heard a bad word. They will deliver it in an enclosed trailer for a very resonable price with white glove treatment, the drivers take off their shoes before they move the cars and are completely trained to take you through all operations of the car. I bought my first GTS without ever driving one, just sat in it. Hook up here with someone in your area and ride in a GTS that does not have any wild exhaust mods. The 96-99 are going to have a rougher idle. The 96 and maybe 97 are going to have neutral gear rattle. If you want a smoother car go for a 2000-2002. The car Bill has is a 2000 so it should be right up your alley. And no, you don't have to fly out to see it, it will be perfect. That's the only kind of cars they ship and the reason for their longstanding perfect rep. If it does not have stripes they can do that too, fabulous paint work even better than factory.
I think anyone who dealt with Bill the first time probably had some of the same ideas you do, only buy from a private owner, have to drive the car first. Those of us who have repeatedly bought from them just know it's coming perfect. And no, I don't have ANY connection to them except as a customer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang