Help creating side splitters

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been trying to come up with a design for some side splitters . They are not necessarily for racing or full-on functionality. Mostly for looks and originality.

Here is what I'm talking about

You must be registered for see images attach

The second pic is of my car. I have a set of these but don't really like their shape.
Plus they are made of aluminum and I want carbon fiber.

Does anyone know who makes them?

Any ideas on the best shape or design for side splitters?

I just want everyone to throw out some ideas - good or bad :eater:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only vendor that I can recall that sells a pre-made product for the Gen 2 is Parts Rack.

I also have side splitters on my mod list, and like you, just for kind of a poser thing. All of course without doing something functionally stupid.

So I bought a book on race car aerodynamics from Amazon, and determined that as long as they are of minimal protrusion - 1 to 2 inches - that whatever you do will likely not affect your aero in a stupid manner. Or in a positive manner either.

I've got some pics I collected a while back on Vipers with splitters on my work computer. I'll see if there are any that would be of help, and post them mañana.

OP
OP
B

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dave
that would be very helpful.

I'm trying to start doing my own carbon fiber work and would like to start doing some Viper parts.
If you are interested in these as well, I can make more than one set.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not the best picture, but here are the CF side splitters that I have on my car. I got them from UK member Colin who is on these boards occasionally. They are a copy of the GTS-R splitters. Not sure if he still sells these or not.

These are CF over an aluminum substrate. The edge is blended over so not to be a cut hazard like with the aluminum, but they are a little more prone to cracking than aluminum would be. They also require some drilling into the side panels to mount. This also allows you to determine how much you want them to stick out. The finish was a little rougher than I wanted, but nothing a little sand paper and elbow grease couldn't take care of. I have since heard that aluminum and CF may not mix well, but I haven't seen any issues with my splitters in the 2 years that I have had them on.

As for stability, I have had mine up to 170 with great stability. As Dave mentioned, I don't think they hurt the aero of the car at all, but I also don't know if there was any improvement.
CF_Side_Splitters.JPG

OP
OP
B

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those look pretty simple.
Not sure why he would put CF over aluminum.

No extra holes to drill with the ones I have. They just bolt on where the sills bolt on underneath.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. Here they are all. Which BTW, most are from this web site, so if you've seen them before...

Also, as I want to do a front splitter to fit the factory fascia, most of the pics are of the front. But you might notice that in some cases the side splitter seems to be a continuation of the front splitter.

Lastly, I think some of the GTS-R cars are diecast maybe. And unfortunately some of the highest resolution pics...

You must be registered for see images

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's the splitter made of on a GT2? It looks kind of flimsy, like it just bolts to the bottom of a regular GTS facia.

Reaction score
We made the ones on the first car and I would suggest running the flats back to the frame to just in front of the oil pan. This will give you better aero and make it stiffer. The ones without tethers must be for slow show only because a splitter will create down force that pulls it away from the car.

If you must make anything under the car out of wood please be aware that if you have fluids leaking it will be a fire hazard and there will be NO way to put it out if trapped between.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, Colin (uk viper club) dose still reproduce front and side splitters. They are aluminum then overlaid with carbon fibre. There fitted to Viper Baz uk's car in one of the previous pics (yellow RT/10 Black stripes). I beleive Colin sells them for £150 You can contact him at [email protected]

Need1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken, do you have more pictures of this GTS? Hi res if you have them, I think I found my new desktop wallpaper!

Thanks! :headbang:

Not the best picture, but here are the CF side splitters that I have on my car. I got them from UK member Colin who is on these boards occasionally. They are a copy of the GTS-R splitters. Not sure if he still sells these or not.

These are CF over an aluminum substrate. The edge is blended over so not to be a cut hazard like with the aluminum, but they are a little more prone to cracking than aluminum would be. They also require some drilling into the side panels to mount. This also allows you to determine how much you want them to stick out. The finish was a little rougher than I wanted, but nothing a little sand paper and elbow grease couldn't take care of. I have since heard that aluminum and CF may not mix well, but I haven't seen any issues with my splitters in the 2 years that I have had them on.

As for stability, I have had mine up to 170 with great stability. As Dave mentioned, I don't think they hurt the aero of the car at all, but I also don't know if there was any improvement.
CF_Side_Splitters.JPG

OP
OP
B

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, thanks
that is exactly what I was looking for.
Those pics have given me a lot of new ideas.
I'd like to come up with a set of splitters for the front, sides, and even a rear diffuser that all look good together and flow well with the rest of the car. I don't think anyone has done that yet.

Is that the SVS front bumper on that B&W car? I really like the way he has his set up.
I don't really like the GTS-R bumper. I just can't get past the 2 extra lights in the middle.

What kind of shape would you guys think looks cool or would be most functional?

OP
OP
B

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We made the ones on the first car and I would suggest running the flats back to the frame to just in front of the oil pan. This will give you better aero and make it stiffer. The ones without tethers must be for slow show only because a splitter will create down force that pulls it away from the car.

If you must make anything under the car out of wood please be aware that if you have fluids leaking it will be a fire hazard and there will be NO way to put it out if trapped between.
Thanks, those are all very good points

I'm not sure which pic you are referring to.
So do you still make any splitters - front or side?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, thanks
that is exactly what I was looking for.
Those pics have given me a lot of new ideas.
I'd like to come up with a set of splitters for the front, sides, and even a rear diffuser that all look good together and flow well with the rest of the car. I don't think anyone has done that yet.

Is that the SVS front bumper on that B&W car? I really like the way he has his set up.
I don't really like the GTS-R bumper. I just can't get past the 2 extra lights in the middle.

What kind of shape would you guys think looks cool or would be most functional?

We should hook up man. My list is identical to your list. Am going to build a rear diffuser also to cover the hole where my rear exhaust is no longer. Don't like the Autoform diffuser units. Mine will be way better fit, stronger, more Dave like...

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That yellow RT looks GREAT!!!!!!!!

I have the front one to fit just not got round to it yet...

I have some pics of them off the car if interested????

OP
OP
B

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That yellow RT looks GREAT!!!!!!!!

I have the front one to fit just not got round to it yet...

I have some pics of them off the car if interested????
Yes, please post some pics :D

Dave,
I'm still working on getting my car back together and on the road, but as soon as I'm done I'll be practicing my carbon fiber skills so I can start making parts.

Keep the ideas coming!
:headbang:

OrecaGTS-R/T

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally I prefer the splitters that follow the lines of the side sills rather than the straight edged ones that appeared on many of the GTS-R's. The B/W GTS posted here is the same B/W posted in your original post, I believe it is owned by one of the European members, great looking car.

And the straight edged GTS-R splitters (which are surely more functional but not as nice looking)

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally I prefer the splitters that follow the lines of the side sills rather than the straight edged ones that appeared on many of the GTS-R's. The B/W GTS posted here is the same B/W posted in your original post, I believe it is owned by one of the European members, great looking car.

I like that too, but would smooth out the transition where the bulge is. Make that a little more of a curve, and less of a step.

Great photos BTW.

OP
OP
B

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OrecaGTS-R/T,
I totally agree that the splitter looks better if if follows the line of the car. That is what I don't like about my current ones. they look like they are on backwards or that they were made for a different car or something.
I'll try to take some better pics of mine so you guys can get a better idea of what I mean.

I agree with Dave, the ones on the black car are perfect except I don't like the step. Otherwise I like the width that they stick out.
From the pics I have seen, the ones on that B&W are what I want to mimic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi