Help!!!! Emissions Issue?

OP
OP
C

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking more with Glenn today, he said he would call around to see who is where and get back to me with where we could potentially take our cars to get the proper attention on the front range. Nowhere came to mind when I spoke with him and that is the problem he said Colorado has always had. Glenn commented that he was the last Certified Viper Tech here. His brother works at Brandon and I believe is the individual they are now touting, but even that his brother is hesitant without the certification training. Glenn has all the tools to work on them so I suspect the Certified Viper Tech means the Viper Tech owns the tools himself which is similar to other trades and situations like Certified Big Truck Mechanics, etc. but I could be wrong

Glenn has his own shop now and restores various cars, etc. in addition to working on Vipers. He works on them but of course does no waranty work. He is also fairly busy. He agrees I should take the car to the dealership for warranty work, but cautioned me that we have to be careful on some of the dealership mechanics out here that say they have a Viper Tech. He knows most all of them since he worked for Dodge dealerships here for well over a decade and cautioned me that there are a few hat he would never take a car to or let them even see the keys!

Looks like we need a Woodhouse shuttle bus.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking more with Glenn today, he said he would call around to see who is where and get back to me with where we could potentially take our cars to get the proper attention on the front range. Nowhere came to mind when I spoke with him and that is the problem he said Colorado has always had. Glenn commented that he was the last Certified Viper Tech here. His brother works at Brandon and I believe is the individual they are now touting, but even that his brother is hesitant without the certification training. Glenn has all the tools to work on them so I suspect the Certified Viper Tech means the Viper Tech owns the tools himself which is similar to other trades and situations like Certified Big Truck Mechanics, etc. but I could be wrong

Glenn has his own shop now and restores various cars, etc. in addition to working on Vipers. He works on them but of course does no waranty work. He is also fairly busy. He agrees I should take the car to the dealership for warranty work, but cautioned me that we have to be careful on some of the dealership mechanics out here that say they have a Viper Tech. He knows most all of them since he worked for Dodge dealerships here for well over a decade and cautioned me that there are a few hat he would never take a car to or let them even see the keys!

Looks like we need a Woodhouse shuttle bus.

Please be sure to post the info that Glenn gives on Viper Techs. Does Glenn trust his brother to work on a Viper?

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did you get it to pass?

I was wondering this also.^

The following steps can help pass the smog (for us that have headers and high flow cats.)

Date: Monday, February 13, 2012 4:40 PM

How do I perform a Generic Drive Cycle?
Generic Drive Cycle Instructions
Important! If you choose to use this generic drive cycle, you must obey all traffic laws and drive in a safe manner.

a.. The generic drive cycle begins with a cold start. Coolant temperatures must be below 122 °F and the difference between coolant and air temperatures read by the sensors must be within 11 degrees.
b.. The ignition key must not be left on prior to the cold start – otherwise the heated oxygen sensor may not run.
c.. As soon as the engine starts, idle the engine in drive for 2-1/2 minutes with the air conditioning and the rear defrost on.
d.. Turn the air conditioning and the rear defrost off and accelerate to 55 mph under moderate and constant acceleration. Hold at a steady 55 mph for at least 3 minutes.
e.. Decelerate to 20 mph without braking or depressing the clutch.
f.. Accelerate back to 55 to 60 mph. Hold for 5 minutes. Decelerate to a stop without braking.

rosco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cats most likely, dealer can check back pressure to determine, 8 year 80k mile warentee on those puppies, just had one replaced.
1. old gas, run it low and refil
2. plugs fouled.
3. check air filter.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since we do not use cats down here I'm not sure how PETA is dealing with the use of them in CO - JK :)

Instead of buying new hi-flows, just install your stock ones if you still have them, or borrow stockers from someone close by. Anything stock is so restrictive to meet the EPA warm-up time that they must be better than new hi-flows, even hot. Pass the test then put you hi-flows back on. I'd even drive to the test location without my side sills on to save swap time when I get back home. Pardon my red-neck approach to the EPA.

Reaction score
He has headers so that is not really an option for him unfortunately...

Since we do not use cats down here I'm not sure how PETA is dealing with the use of them in CO - JK :)

Instead of buying new hi-flows, just install your stock ones if you still have them, or borrow stockers from someone close by. Anything stock is so restrictive to meet the EPA warm-up time that they must be better than new hi-flows, even hot. Pass the test then put you hi-flows back on. I'd even drive to the test location without my side sills on to save swap time when I get back home. Pardon my red-neck approach to the EPA.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't consider that Mark...luckily it was only 2 cents :):):)
...down here the only cats are the one roaming the neighborhoods ;)

Fangster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. I have the exact same problem. I have an '03 with your exact same Belanger set-up. (btw - one "l") Failed twice last week. The second time I did exactly what Glenn said to do - E-85 etc. Slightly better numbers, but still failed. About same numbers you had. I've been working with Glenn since he was at Christopher Dodge. So a long time.

The deal with the E-85, according to Lloyd at Colo Emissions (a nice guy), is that they've changed the test recently and it now detects the gas change. Glenn now knows this.

Today I spent an hour on the phone with Mr. Belanger himself. He says his system and cats work perfectly and that the Colo testing system is totally fu#*ed up. Of course, what else is he going to say? He thinks either we need new cats which only he makes. Also says if the exhaust system was actually functioning improperly the Check Engine light will come on, which is doesn't in our case.

Incidentally, Glenn is working at Centennial Dodge for two weeks, starting next week. I'm going to see him there and see what else we can do. I want to drive this damn thing!

I'll keep you "posted".

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960