HELP!!! install in progress, and stuck

poweradded

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im trying to put on the short throw shifter from rich detert and i cant get the fat black base of this sucker off. short of cuttining it with a torch what can i do??

OP
OP
P

poweradded

Enthusiast
Reaction score
has anyone ever gotten this sucker off? richs number hus been busy for an hour

OP
OP
P

poweradded

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

this is the booger here, i must be doing something wrong :(

car is an 01

OP
OP
P

poweradded

Enthusiast
Reaction score
off the car , the bol ton the bottom is 19mm and its the one im trying to turn, this is correct isnt it?

OP
OP
P

poweradded

Enthusiast
Reaction score
does the black thing come off of the bolt on the bottom? mabey i can rip it off with some vice grips :) and then get a socket on it.

one thing is for sure, when i get this basterd off im throwing it into the woods as hard as i can...

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't that one piece? I have removed it for a trans removal and thought it was 1 piece (molded together).

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I think that the part you need is indeed NOT a component of the part you are trying to disassemble. The above looks simply like a piece of the threaded rod, available at any machine shop, and most hardware stores.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it is to replace the complete part, not just the upper rubber portion. The short shifter does not use the isolation (rubber part).

So I believe the bottom line is you already have the correct part removed, and now replace it with the new stud. The knob should screw right on to the new stud.

OP
OP
P

poweradded

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont have the black thing off. you have to get the black thing off to replace it with the threaded piece. the threaded piece is shorter than the black one there for shortening the throw. i cant get the black thing off of the car. what you see in the top picture is what i cant get off. it screws into the shiter base and gets replaced by the shorter threaded piece in the second pic.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Okay, I may still not understand which part you are having problems with. The part shown above. Is it still on the car? I have had no problem removing that part on my car (from above). From below it is a [******] as there is minimal space in the tunnel. When I removed it I used 2 wrenches. One on the shaft facets and the other on the lever itself. I then squeezed them together (similar to how you do a double nut). I did this so that the internal forks would not be resisting the force.

If it still does not want to loosen you may want to use a heat gun on the lever. I would avoid a torch as potential damage is high.

OP
OP
P

poweradded

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats the part, i just talked to vipermed, he said he wouldnt try to turn it hard in the car rishking tranny breakage, so i put it back together stock. i hate it when good mods go bad. im pissed

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya'll HAVE GOT to be kidding me. That's all these short throw shifters are? A shorter bolt? Sheesh, if I had know that I would have already done the mod with a trip to the hardware store. I thought there was some special doo-hickey linkage or something in there that actually decreased the travel on the bottom end.

How much are these "aftermarket" companies charging for this rarity?

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya'll HAVE GOT to be kidding me. That's all these short throw shifters are? A shorter bolt? Sheesh, if I had know that I would have already done the mod with a trip to the hardware store. I thought there was some special doo-hickey linkage or something in there that actually decreased the travel on the bottom end.

That's what I thought till you realize both ends have different size threads. So buying a bolt and cutting off the top isn't going to do it as you will only thread one side in and not the other.

As I recall the picture that is posted, that stock item doesn't come apart as you don't use any of it. You replace it with double threaded bolt from Rich.

Use a crows foot wrench. I did and it was really easy. Vice grips? good luck

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bolt diameter or thread pitch? Can you cut one end & re-thread?

That's what I thought till you realize both ends have different size threads. So buying a bolt and cutting off the top isn't going to do it as you will only thread one side in and not the other.

As I recall the picture that is posted, that stock item doesn't come apart as you don't use any of it. You replace it with double threaded bolt from Rich.

Use a crows foot wrench. I did and it was really easy. Vice grips? good luck

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you look at the picture of the 3 lengths of rods a little earlier you can see the thread difference. Guess you could cut and rethread if you have the tools, but for 25 bucks it wasn't a big deal

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's right. To get that thing off you have to use a crow's foot. There is no other way. Rich's instructions on how to install need to be updated.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Use it crow's foot wrench it could not be any easier. I tried it with a regular 19mm and 17mm but that did not work. Spend the $6 for the crow’s foot; it takes 5 minutes with it.

As for making the shaft yourself... You can but why would you when it is only $25? Rich is a very nice guy and he has the threads done. Yes it only costs him <$5 but it is worth $20 for me to have it work without any fabricating.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas