Help Me Choose 02 GTS OR 03+ Viper

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi fellas

I have always wanted a GTS and was hoping for a final edition 2002 and maybe an ACR.

But seeing as that is 1 year away from the new body style I'd like to get opinions of owners who have owned both to see which I should buy. I honestly think I like the look of the 02 body better but if the 03+ are nearly the same price and it's a lot more car then I might go that route. Are there any problems or things changed later with the 03s being the first year of that body style?

Thanks for all of the help, I need to decide and get into my first Viper.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These are very different cars. I have owned 5 Vipers and currenty own a '01 and an '03. Buy a gen 2 for the style and buy a gen 3 for the driving. a '02 FE will sell at a premium for the fact it is a FE You can get an '01 with the same appearance for less money. If you go with a gen 3 BUY TIRES. The gen 3 is a nicer car to drive. Good luck, either car is a good choice, with any Viper you can't pick a bad one!

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These are very different cars. I have owned 5 Vipers and currenty own a '01 and an '03. Buy a gen 2 for the style and buy a gen 3 for the driving. a '02 FE will sell at a premium for the fact it is a FE You can get an '01 with the same appearance for less money. If you go with a gen 3 BUY TIRES. The gen 3 is a nicer car to drive. Good luck, either car is a good choice, with any Viper you can't pick a bad one!
Well, I would be biased. But, Steve has been in enough to know & that sounds like some pretty good advice. If I was you, I would try & drive one of each gen. & then you'll know for sure. Maybe one of the VCA guys in your region would take you out for spin if you can't find any locally for sale. jmo

Vital Velocity

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you have always wanted a GTS get a GTS....you may get a better driving experience (read that as comfort) but everytime you see a GTS youll regret not having got what you wanted. As far as power/performance you can always mod either car to get to what you want.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No bad choice... Keep in mind that one man's poison is another man's passion in terms of the way that the GTS drives...

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well stated. Also, remember the Gen 3 is a vert. so that is very different than the GTS in a lot of ways. I had a GTS but after I drove it a while I missed the vert so I got a Gen 3.

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys what makes the 03+ more comfortable or a better driver?

My father had a 96rt10 that I loved driving.

If anyone is in Tampa Id love to get a ride and see the options.

Silver04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With most things, anytime you can get a newer model, the better. Then again, the Viper is not "most things"!

I decided on an '04 because the $ was close enough and I wanted to be as far away from '00 Vette as possible. Good luck!!

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's funny I have a 01 Vette now but with 700rwhp.

Did you drive a GTS before going with a 04?

The budget is 45ish but flexible. I've waited many years and I want one within 3 months.

Silver04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's funny I have a 01 Vette now but with 700rwhp.

Did you drive a GTS before going with a 04?

The budget is 45ish but flexible. I've waited many years and I want one within 3 months.

Drove 'em all before making purchase in June '11. Gen 3 is more refined and that's what I needed for my old-ish bones - You'll be able to find one for your budget...good luck! Get it b4 Sept. so you can come to VOI12!!!

lilviv

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You might find the '02 FE sells for higher than the '03 to '05 cars . . . condition equal. I was partial to the 1999 since it was the last year of that style with a forged engine, but it depends what you want to do with the car. The 2003 will be more civil, refined, and likely even faster. The 2002 is just so **** . . .

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might find the '02 FE sells for higher than the '03 to '05 cars . . . condition equal. I was partial to the 1999 since it was the last year of that style with a forged engine, but it depends what you want to do with the car. The 2003 will be more civil, refined, and likely even faster. The 2002 is just so **** . . .

'03 is faster...

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can probably score an 06 coupe in the 45ish range if you're patient and find the right seller... I'm leaning towards an 06 or 08 coupe but I'm gonna hang onto my GTS.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
0-60

02=4.1
03=3.9

Quartermile

02=12. 2 at 119 mph
03=12. 0 at 121 mph

Top speed

02= 190 mph
03= 194 mph

Exterior

Ive owned a 99 as well as gen3.
In pictures the gts is much more photogenic than the srt. But in real life the srt looks much more low slung and wider than the gts. As well a 03 parked next to a 10 still looks like a brand new viper. But a gts has huge body gaps from being desighned in essentially the late 80s and the headlights also heavily date the car. Most people who have never owned a srt will swear to you that the gts looks better. However, many that have owned a gts and srt will sing a differant tune.

Interior

Not even close. Srt all the way

Egine layout.

The srt engine has a nicer desighn. But the gts engine when viewed with the reverse opening hood sitting high in the air is just stunning. Gts wins this catergory.

Brakes

Not even close srt all the way

Honestly when you pur hase srt you never even think about the gen2. But in my gen2 Id get a little jeolous of gen3s when I saw them. The seats in the gen3 just looked so supercarish. While the seats in my 99 were just ok.

In 2-3 years when there are plenty of gen5s out there then a srt will be the old style viper. But for now a 03 srt despite being 9 years old is viewed as being the new style viper. The gts is considered the old viper and has been so for ten years.

Gts is a great car and will always have a place in history. But so does the nsx. That dosent mean you shouldnt buy the newer version if you can afford it

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trust Steve.....he knows what he is talking about.

In my opinion, buy the 02, however. This stuff of the interior, etc. I call bull. If you want an interior, buy a Lincoln. The seats are great in the 02. It is comfortable. The only big difference is the air conditioning. 02 is underpowered IMHO.

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys

Id like to hear a few more people that have had both 2nd and 3d gens chime in!

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
0-60

02=4.1
03=3.9

Quartermile

02=12. 2 at 119 mph
03=12. 0 at 121 mph

Top speed

02= 190 mph
03= 194 mph

Exterior

Ive owned a 99 as well as gen3.
In pictures the gts is much more photogenic than the srt. But in real life the srt looks much more low slung and wider than the gts. As well a 03 parked next to a 10 still looks like a brand new viper. But a gts has huge body gaps from being desighned in essentially the late 80s and the headlights also heavily date the car. Most people who have never owned a srt will swear to you that the gts looks better. However, many that have owned a gts and srt will sing a differant tune.

Interior

Not even close. Srt all the way

Egine layout.

The srt engine has a nicer desighn. But the gts engine when viewed with the reverse opening hood sitting high in the air is just stunning. Gts wins this catergory.

Brakes

Not even close srt all the way

Honestly when you pur hase srt you never even think about the gen2. But in my gen2 Id get a little jeolous of gen3s when I saw them. The seats in the gen3 just looked so supercarish. While the seats in my 99 were just ok.

In 2-3 years when there are plenty of gen5s out there then a srt will be the old style viper. But for now a 03 srt despite being 9 years old is viewed as being the new style viper. The gts is considered the old viper and has been so for ten years.

Gts is a great car and will always have a place in history. But so does the nsx. That dosent mean you shouldnt buy the newer version if you can afford it

Since I have had a GTS and now have an 03 I would say that Twister gives a very good description of the differences. I agree on all accounts. I prefer the Gen 3 hands down. When I have the car out people think it is a new one which is a bonus.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The newer Vipers (Gen 3 and Gen 4) are better in every single respect than a Gen 2.
Forgetting the hundred other things better (power, seats, tranny, air conditioning), the biggest thing for me was to have a car with BRAKES.
You step up to world class brakes versus the rudimentary brakes in a Gen 2.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In order of my preference:

1. Modified Gen 4.
2. Stock Gen 4 - Supercharged Gen 3 (tie)
4. Modified Gen 2
5. Stock Gen 3
6. Stock Gen 2
7. Gen 1

I have wanted,owned and loved them all.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go for the final edition hands down! If you can find one under 50k! Ive owned a final edition and now a gen 4 and as far as the looks department the GTS wins hands down! Plus that car is very desirable and commends a premium when it's time to resell. Don't even worry about having the "old" viper as soon enough they all will be when the gen v comes out....

Ataim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For me performance was second next to looks. You can always add more power, better brakes, but a IMHO the gen I & II are a much better looking car. I bought a 2001 over earlier cars because it does have ABS. So I say final edition.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In order of my preference:

1. Modified Gen 4.
2. Stock Gen 4 - Supercharged Gen 3 (tie)
4. Modified Gen 2
5. Stock Gen 3
6. Stock Gen 2
7. Gen 1

I have wanted,owned and loved them all.

Ray, where does your ZR-1 rank in this group if you had to include it?

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wish I could have both. But i have to say I like the layout of the interior better in the Gen3. That clam shell hood is cool though.

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought an '02 ACR new when the '03's were already out. I drove both and the decision wasn't even close for me. The '02 GTS ACR is by far the better looking and more of an attention getter. I believe the GTS will be the car people will think of when a Viper is mentioned in the future.
I currently own an '09 coupe and although I agree it is a superior car to a GTS I still think the GTS is prettier. I have seen modified gen 3 and 4's that have matched the looks of a stock GTS imho.
I really loved the two '02 GTS' that I've owned.
Waiting for the new gen 5 as all indications are that it will be superior to my gen 4, with looks better than a GTS! WOW!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala