Help Me Choose 02 GTS OR 03+ Viper

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another vote for the Gen II. It is similar to the Viper Vette comparison to me, and you know which one is the Vette.

Performance is very close and cannot be felt by seat of pants IMHO.

Looks, well they are what they are...

When people think Viper they think Gen II GTS.

That said they are both awesome cars. If you want a vert then obviously go Gen III or IV.

And yes, I have driven all 3 gens, Gen II, Gen III and Gen IV.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy revelations Batman.

Gen 2 owners prefer.....Gen 2's.
Gen 3 owners prefer.....Gen 3's.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another vote for the Gen II. It is similar to the Viper Vette comparison to me, and you know which one is the Vette.

Performance is very close and cannot be felt by seat of pants IMHO.

Looks, well they are what they are...

When people think Viper they think Gen II GTS.

That said they are both awesome cars. If you want a vert then obviously go Gen III or IV.

And yes, I have driven all 3 gens, Gen II, Gen III and Gen IV.

Well, I am not sure that "when people think of Viper they think of Gen II GTS. I'm a Gen 3 owner and when I think of Viper I always think of Gen 1 & 2 RT/10 Roadster. I also think performance can be felt--Gen 3 stronger stock for stock.

Whatever you decide you will like if you are careful about the condition.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
actually theres a bit of differance acelleration wise.

average guy will run a 12.3 at 117 mph in a gen2 and 12.1 at 120 mph in a gen3.

Might not sound like a lot on paper but at the drag strip if your trapping 117 and the guy in the other lane is trapping 120 then hell be around 3 car lengths ahead of you at the end of the 1320.

Running a 120 mph trap in a gen2 is nearly impossible and only the best drivers with good weather will do it. On the other hand running a 120 mph in a gen3 can be done in 80 degree weather with a novice driver.

Ive drag raced em both. a 99 and 03 and no doubt the gen3 was much harder to drive fast in the quarter mile but was noticably faster once you learned it.. was only getten 115-117 mph in my 99 and 118-120 mph in my 03.

of course a gen4 gets 126 mph with an average driver so if you can swing it get one of those

To the OP remember this. many gen2 owners havent owned a gen3. while on the other hand most gen3 owners have owned a gen2. Take that for what its worth.

Cant go wrong either way unless you buy a vette or GTR. Both great cars but both missing a certain element that the viper has

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Gen2 is more exotic by definition...

The term "exotic" ALONE by definition means, in its purest form, "strikingly strange or unusual". Concepts that can be unilaterally or bilaterally applied to appearance of an object (as an adjective used to describe a person, place, or thing) or concepts that are exotic in nature -- as in a term used to describe an overall feeling evoked by an idea that lead individuals to an assessment of an object as producing a sensation of foreign or alien -- are easily described as exotic.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the cars been out for 20k years now and theres not even 30k of them in the world. All vipers are exotic to me. Koolest part about owning this rare american supercar

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the cars been out for 20k years now and theres not even 30k of them in the world. All vipers are exotic to me. Koolest part about owning this rare american supercar

Go back and look at what I said Twist.... I said "more exotic" so that implies that a Gen3 can also be exotic but there is absolutely no question that a Gen2 is more exotic. In the same way that a Countach is far more exotic than a Gallardo.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go back and look at what I said Twist.... I said "more exotic" so that implies that a Gen3 can also be exotic but there is absolutely no question that a Gen2 is more exotic. In the same way that a Countach is far more exotic than a Gallardo.

And, the same way an exoctic dancer is different than a stripper... :D

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And, the same way an exoctic dancer is different than a stripper... :D

I like the way you think :D

I went to the Devils game last night with my neighbor who is closer in age by a bit to my oldest kid than he is to me. He's a Corvette guy... He had a Z06 and plans to get another. On the way home we're talking and at one point he says... "Yeah... but your car is just pure sex on wheels and when that thing came out it ruled the universe"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_d2j82efiQ

NVMYVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a noob here and have not even taken delivery of my Viper(1996 RT-10) yet but having just gone through the buying process I will give you my $.02 for what it is worth. Before I was really serious about buying, you know when you are sitting at your desk daydreaming, the 1992 Red Roadster is what I thought of and still do. I love all the generations believe me but that original body style is iconic and can never be replaced by the subsequent Generations. The lines are perfect and it is sex on wheels. It is not the fastest or the most tame or even the most driveable but can you argue with the looks of this car from any angle? Of course not. With you coming from a 700+HP vette you are obviously not looking for just pure power; it is about the looks and how your car makes you feel when you turn on the garage lights, before you even open the garage door. Which body style is going to make you grin the most? Power can be attained, braking can be upgraded, but your visceral experience upon viewing your car is what is important to you. I had a budget up to 55k so I had a broad spectrum of choices. I personally chose the mine purely based on that visceral feeling I get just looking at the pics. Money never really played into my decision, power although important was not a deciding factor and I even sacrificed on the color as the car I did buy, spoke to me. (Note here I am not a Viper whisperer but you get the point) I have not owned high HP cars before unless you count a 1985 300ZX non- turbo powerful. So with all of that said, which Viper will give you the biggest rush when you open that garage door the first morning?

Craig,

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a noob here and have not even taken delivery of my Viper(1996 RT-10) yet but having just gone through the buying process I will give you my $.02 for what it is worth. Before I was really serious about buying, you know when you are sitting at your desk daydreaming, the 1992 Red Roadster is what I thought of and still do. I love all the generations believe me but that original body style is iconic and can never be replaced by the subsequent Generations. The lines are perfect and it is sex on wheels. It is not the fastest or the most tame or even the most driveable but can you argue with the looks of this car from any angle? Of course not. With you coming from a 700+HP vette you are obviously not looking for just pure power; it is about the looks and how your car makes you feel when you turn on the garage lights, before you even open the garage door. Which body style is going to make you grin the most? Power can be attained, braking can be upgraded, but your visceral experience upon viewing your car is what is important to you. I had a budget up to 55k so I had a broad spectrum of choices. I personally chose the mine purely based on that visceral feeling I get just looking at the pics. Money never really played into my decision, power although important was not a deciding factor and I even sacrificed on the color as the car I did buy, spoke to me. (Note here I am not a Viper whisperer but you get the point) I have not owned high HP cars before unless you count a 1985 300ZX non- turbo powerful. So with all of that said, which Viper will give you the biggest rush when you open that garage door the first morning?

Craig,

Great post !

A Gen3 is a more usable, practical and better performing car and they're beautiful but the early cars are just more exotic. The Gen1's don't even come with a decent roof or windows and they have an ass like Jessica Biel... The Gen3 is the girl you take to meet your mom because she looks great, you're just crazy about her and she's pretty low maintenance. The Gen2 is the Cheerleader that Steven Tyler sings about in Walk this way... Now a Gen4 ACR is the girl you hook up with when you can have any girl you want and you're not intimidated by any of them.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still like the Gen 2 RT-10 probably the best when it comes right down to it. Best looking from all angles. Love the low wide back end.

I sold my 01 because the roof was a pain and my wife did not like it for that reason. The Gen 3 top is easy and the car is just more refined. Personally, I like the Gen 2 RT-10 the best. Why did I say earlier to get the Gen 3??? Well, because the original question was Gen 2 GTS or Gen 3. Clearly the Gen 3 wins for me because I was completely bored with my Gen 2 GTS after I had owned an RT-10. The roadster was just more fun to drive. Ever consider an RT-10???

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No my dad had a 96 RT-10 and I much prefer the looks of the GTS. I'm not sure a convertible is a big deal to me. It's a ******** sports car, I don't need the top down, windows will be enough.

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Close, but not correct. 03-10 Vert tailights are unique...06-10 coupe tail lights are the same as Gen I & II RT/10 and GTS

Gosh that is weird so they used 1992 tail lights on a 2006 - 2010 Coupe Viper!???????????????????

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For anyone that references this thread to help them decide... I wanted to note that I got a 03+. I wanted a good daily driver and I'm glad I got this car. I think the older car is just that much more unrefinded and I could use all the comfort and new design of the Gen 3. I got a 05 Comm. Ed. and loving it as a DD. No regrets.
Both cars are great but for a DD a newer car will probably have less problems and pains. Now as far as looks its very hard to beat the original GTS

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For anyone that references this thread to help them decide... I wanted to note that I got a 03+. I wanted a good daily driver and I'm glad I got this car. I think the older car is just that much more unrefinded and I could use all the comfort and new design of the Gen 3. I got a 05 Comm. Ed. and loving it as a DD. No regrets.
Both cars are great but for a DD a newer car will probably have less problems and pains. Now as far as looks its very hard to beat the original GTS
Congratulations, glad you finally got into one! Now, you do know you have to put up pics to PROVE it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala