Help Me ID a 2001 ACR

SRT BEE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am looking at a 2001 ACR how can I be sure it is an ACR and not a GTS. It has the correct wheels and 5-piont harness I know you could add the A/C and stereo but this throws me off as it has fog lights. I thought they did not come with them. What should I look for in the suspension as I believe it is adjustable on an ACR? Is the an ID plate on the dash? Any help guys would be great.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
out of the 227 ACR's built in 2001, there was only 4 that sold without the optional comfort pack, AC and radio

fogs can be added easily, no dash ID plate
they also had smooth tubes from the airbox, but thats an easy swap as well

checking the VIN is the way to go

Last edited:

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not worry too much about the foglights, many added them back in as it it very easy to do.
And most ACR's came with the comfort pakage of AC and radio.
If it's a real ACR it will have adjustable Koni shocks and different springs.
The registry does not indicate you can tell from the VIN.
But I would still call Chuck Tator at 914.763.3136 and have him look up the car as the computer may indicate GTS and/or ACR designations that are non vin related.
It's a good bet that it is a real ACR as the wheels are so expensive and rare at this point that it wiould take away any profit a fake ACR might bring once the wheels were aquired.
Another indicator is color, is it a stock combination? If not then there is an added chance it's a rebuild and modified during the process.
Another indicator is who you're buying it from, private party or dealer, we can vouch for many of the dealers in the market and are wary of some others. And if it's a Final Edition (red/white stripe) there is another registry that might give you some history.
Dodge Viper Final Edition Registry

Check the suspension and call Chuck.

OP
OP
S

SRT BEE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is yellow with black stripes and only 7000 miles same owner for 8 years. Is there an adjuster I will see on the shocks?

bloose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I believe a 2001 should have blue and gold Dynamics shocks with a resevoire on the side with 2 adjustment knobs, as well as adjustable height.

I think only the 2000 model years switched over from Koni to Dynamics in the middle of the production year.

I think all 99's had Koni.

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Dynamic shocks should stand out with just a glance under the car. They came with a separate gold anodized adjustment tool. The shocks are expensive, the wheels are expensive, they don't give away the harness sets, but the little ACR emblem on the consol can be had. My car has fogs, and any ACR sold in Canada requires them. Unless the owner pitched all his paperwork, there is a small booklet covering the Dynamic shocks that should be included. Make sure the antisub belts are in there. They unlatch from an eyebolt that goes through the floorboard infront of the seats, and most people unlatch them and take them out of the car for all but track use. They also incorperate the 5 point release 'knob' so without them you couldn't use the track harness anyway. The straps of the 5 point harness will be 'out of date' for serious track use and will have to be 'restrapped' to comply with saftey standards. When you do this keep the old straps which have the sewn on ACR label. No body reproduces the labels that I know of and one day you may want them for originality. If at all possible have a Viper tech. inspect the car on a lift Worth the time and money. Good luck.:2tu:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Dynamic Suspensions shocks should stand out with just a glance under the car.

Dynamic_Suspensions_shocks.jpg

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Dynamic shocks should stand out with just a glance under the car. They came with a separate gold anodized adjustment tool. The shocks are expensive, the wheels are expensive, they don't give away the harness sets, but the little ACR emblem on the consol can be had. My car has fogs, and any ACR sold in Canada requires them. Unless the owner pitched all his paperwork, there is a small booklet covering the Dynamic shocks that should be included. Make sure the antisub belts are in there. They unlatch from an eyebolt that goes through the floorboard infront of the seats, and most people unlatch them and take them out of the car for all but track use. They also incorperate the 5 point release 'knob' so without them you couldn't use the track harness anyway. The straps of the 5 point harness will be 'out of date' for serious track use and will have to be 'restrapped' to comply with saftey standards. When you do this keep the old straps which have the sewn on ACR label. No body reproduces the labels that I know of and one day you may want them for originality. If at all possible have a Viper tech. inspect the car on a lift Worth the time and money. Good luck.:2tu:

Moderator edit...No EBaY ads please.

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ordered a set of those patches. They are not exact duplicates of gen11 acr patches. I returned them. You decide.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ACR oil filter adaptor is internally different than non ACR oil filter adaptors. If those oil filter adaptors look different from the outside, or if the hoses in that area are different somehow, that could give you a clue to whether it's a real ACR or not. Someone selling a clone probably wouldn't change oil filter adaptors...

I don't know whether there is a visible difference or not, someone else will have to add what they know..

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ACR oil filter adaptor is internally different than non ACR oil filter adaptors. If those oil filter adaptors look different from the outside, or if the hoses in that area are different somehow, that could give you a clue to whether it's a real ACR or not. Someone selling a clone probably wouldn't change oil filter adaptors...

I don't know whether there is a visible difference or not, someone else will have to add what they know..

I think it's all internal.

Run the VIN...

RACR77

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"My car has fogs, and any ACR sold in Canada requires them."

That is not correct, I have a Canadian Spec car (2001 ACR) with all the original paper work and the car came with fogs deleted. It does have daytime running lights in the headlight assemblies, which were required in Canada but not the US in 2001.

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I stand corrected. So, is it correct to say that all the Canadian (export)cars are wired to exibit daytime running lights at startup, or, did having fogs preclude or substitute for daytime running lights, and if that's the case, did they come on at startup? I had read that the newer ACR's going to Canada had to be equipped with fogs, so do they have daylight running lights also? I'm confused, what's the story? And, thanks for the info.

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Run the VIN, it will tell for sure. I even called Dodge when I bought mine they were very helpful (dont know about now). Are the values bottomed out now?

And this, when ******** packages were really ********!!
You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

Last edited:

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The side fenders will have this badge on it on both sides...

CIMG0518.JPG

No fog lights on american spec cars...

CIMG0525.JPG

It will have the BBS Viper rims as well...

CIMG0570.JPG

I don't have a pic of the interior that I can post but there will be a dash plaque the says Viper ACR on it. You will have the five point harness' that say ACR on them as well. With the harness' some might be different depending on if the recall was done or not. You will also have the adjustable suspension as everyone has mentioned befor. I think thats it.
I am looking at a 2001 ACR how can I be sure it is an ACR and not a GTS. It has the correct wheels and 5-piont harness I know you could add the A/C and stereo but this throws me off as it has fog lights. I thought they did not come with them. What should I look for in the suspension as I believe it is adjustable on an ACR? Is the an ID plate on the dash? Any help guys would be great.

RACR77

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I stand corrected. So, is it correct to say that all the Canadian (export)cars are wired to exibit daytime running lights at startup, or, did having fogs preclude or substitute for daytime running lights, and if that's the case, did they come on at startup? I had read that the newer ACR's going to Canada had to be equipped with fogs, so do they have daylight running lights also? I'm confused, what's the story? And, thanks for the info.

Hey okloneranger,
All ACR's exported by Dodge to Canada had to have daytime running lights and yes they come on at start up. Not sure if any had fogs that precluded the running lights in the headlights, my guess is all Canadian spec Gen II ACR's would have been wired the same from the factory. My understanding is that the Gen IV's exported to Canada use the fogs as the daytime running lights, if you check fireballs avatar you can see the fogs on and his car is a spec Canadian ACR. Hope this helps, Joe

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh Dave.... too many dos equis.

The ACR oil filter adapter does not have a thermostat.

PN 4886503AC for GTS (left)
PN 5007523 for ACR (right)

Interesting how my non ACR 2001 GTS, the part looks like the ACR part you have illustrated on the right, with the sending unit port threaded and tapped into the housing, like right where my sending unit is.

Dude! I've got your adapter! :rolaugh:

You must be registered for see images

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe you have an ACR!? I think you need to look from the other side to see if you have the pipe plug used to hold the thermostat between the inlet and outlet ports.

I don't have either; Gen 1 adapters are different and there wasn't an ACR option then. (That's how I know this trivia.)

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you need to look from the other side to see if you have the pipe plug used to hold the thermostat between the inlet and outlet ports.

That would take more work than seeing what pics of my car I already had. :rolaugh:

Anyway, I seem to remember from this topic before Jon B saying that the only difference is internal.

Maybe I'll look tonight. Anyone know how to open the hood on a Viper? :D

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was my understanding that only GENI's had thermostats and that GENII non-ACR's were pressure switches, i.e. at idle/low oil pressure, no flow through cooler to help A/C condensor condense, under higher rpms/oil pressure, valve opened to allow oil flow through cooler.

Tom, fact or fiction?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dunno, Ron. My only objective here was to call out Dave about more useless Viper trivia and see if I can get him to find some part of his car that isn't clean. But looking at the non-ACR version, a spring in there seems correct; my thermostat is a much wider part.

I guess that explains why I can run 190F coolant and still have 230F oil.