HELP - Mopar plug wire mismatch

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my Mopar plug wires from Chuck so I know it has to be the right part but unfortuantely the wire length differs from the original stock wires when you try to match up using numbers stamped on the wire. For example, the new #3 wire is about 6" longer than the original #3 wire. Do I go with the number stamped on the wire or do I go by the right length?

Thank you in advance!!!

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I swear I remember seeing a post about DC incorrectly packaging plug wires. I can't seem to find it again. I would give Chuck a quick call and see if it is a possibility.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me. I don't remember if it was #3 or not but it was a good bit longer. I still went by the numbers and everything is ok.

OP
OP
S

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck - thanks again! Yes, it was #3 and even #7 seems longer too. I guess I will go with the numbers stamped on the wire.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I think you'll be fine...when I have used Mopar HP wires, I do go by the numbers and have had no problems on 3 Vipers...I do, however, start by laying out ALL the new wires (on a towel on the back glass of the GTS's) according to length...then, I pull one wire at a time starting with plug #1 and cross-check it's length with the number...in the past they have been "in the ball park" on length.

OP
OP
S

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve - thanks for the reply. Just got done. Took me freaking 4hrs mainly b/c I was taking my good ole time. As suggested previously, removing cowl and air resonator and doing one plug at a time seem like the critical points. Next time, I will try to get a can of compressed air and hopefully same length plug wires.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Agree that it's not always easy...especially with those clip-type wire looms that appeared of the Gen II cars.

Removing the HVAC box on the passanger side helps as well.

Can't wait to do it again !!!!

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sbkim, make sure you go by the numbers on your CDI's at the back of your engine and not the tech manual. The tech manual is WRONG. At least the 2000 manual is.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude