HELP - my '01 is blowing blue smoke!

motomike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HELP - my \'01 is blowing blue smoke!

I just took my '01 Viper out for a ride. Upon gasing up and pulling out from the station I notice a huge cloud of blue smoke came from my car. It was under low to moderate, but absolutely not full acceleration. I've been good to the car during this break in period, always allowing it to warm up, for the oil pressure to rise, etc before driving off. It has 750 miles on it and I even changed the oil just last week. I read that oil can slash to the top of the valve cover and get forced into the tubes. Is this true? I also read that I could have overfilled it with oil, but hadn't noticed such a problem right following the oil change last week. I haven't even driven it that much since the oil change and the problem started tonight. I'm bummed at the thought that there's now major problem with the car. Anyone have such a problem/experience with their car???????

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: HELP - my \'01 is blowing blue smoke!

Check your oil level. If it's past the mark...this may be the problem. Take some out. If it doesn't happen anymore, then that was it.

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had the same thing happen to my '01 about 2 or 3 times in the first 1000 miles, right at startup. Very alarming, but the car used virtually no oil, had good power, and has not done it in the past 1000 (post break-in) miles.

I say just watch your oil level, keep your eyes open and don't sweat it if it does not repat after break-in.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by motomike:
........I also read that I could have overfilled it with oil, but hadn't noticed such a problem right following the oil change last week. I haven't even driven it that much since the oil change........ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also bet that you have overfilled the oil. Even 1/4 qt makes a difference, and can puke oil thru the intake, especially after any "performance braking."

Stationary car, flat surface, wait 15 minutes, seat the dipstick fully (pay attention to that!) and re-check oil fill level. SOme guys re-seat the dipstick in an off-center manner, and THINK they still need 1/2 qt!

[ Are you a novice? You MUST be braking hard ! ] JUST JOKING!

OP
OP
M

motomike

Enthusiast
Reaction score

THANKS for all the replies. I appreciated it, muchly. I checked the oil level this morning after car had been sitting overnight. Found it overfilled a bit. Will drain some oil later today, check the rear plugs and see if all is resolved.

OP
OP
M

motomike

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What a relief! My car is all healthy. Lowered the oil level and checked everything out. Took it out tonight and all is fine once again. Thanks to those to replied.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21