Help...My GTS was hit while parked...repair or replace hood?

TurboRob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a little pi$$ed off right now. An 18 yr old on drugs (literally) hit my car while it was parked in front of my shop. They gave him a sobriety test, he failed and was arrested. Fortunately, he had insurance.
The hood was damaged over the front wheel. The fibers are hanging out all along the edge of the fender lip. It's also cracked on the underside (not all the way through).
I took it to the Dodge dealer for an estimate, and they said that the hood "should be replaced, rather than repaired". However, the insurance company says that since it can be repaired, they will only repair it. Saving themselves $15,000.
Is there any documentation from Dodge stating that our hoods should never be repaired? Or is it just wishful thinking on my part?

This *****. My car had never had any damage or paint work. Now it will show on a CarFax, as well as ruin the value. Even though it's technically minor. And I can do nothing about it.

Please give me some advice.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the hood from Vipermed! Best looking hood I have seen!
Of course, tell your insurance company you can replace it for 10k,thus saving them 5k, so you can pick up a set of Purner's 19" wheels too! :2tu:

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Rob,

My uncle is a insurance adjuster and from what he told me and from what I understand, you can demand new parts on your car to make it whole again. I also think there is something else with "diminish value". Get a new hood and don't let the insurance company yank you around. What I would question is how is this adjuster an expert on Vipers? This is probobly his first one he ever did and I would be a complete dick about this. Don't take a back seat to this. I will call my uncle and get more detailed info.

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 18 year on drugs hit your car with an original hood on your car not a repaired hood.... it is their responsiblity to put it back to the original state before their client hit it.

Once you receive check for new hood then buy one from Elite.

Cudaman :usa:

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was in a accident once.....once. What ti comes down to is that they have a duty to replace it to stock. Imagine how bad it would be if they didn't? Every insurance agent would look for any crappy 'ole shop able to fix the hood at cost to the agent. Now while fixing isn't a big deal, it's the quality of the job that is important.

0260in3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got my 1st Viper a week ago and have been paranoid about this exact issue. It seems this issue comes up once in awhile on this forum. The best advice I've seen is to tell the insurance adjuster that you're going to replace the hood and then sue them for your out of pocket expense. If the adjuster is smart, they'll work with you to avoid their additional legal fees. Good Luck and please let everyone know how it turns out.
Terry

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no, minor accident should not show up on car fax. As long as your not paying, get a new hood. If yours is not damaged too much you can probably get $1000 for it on ebay. (shipping is the killer on selling these) Silver is pretty easy color to match too. Elite makes a nice hood, but if its anything like the facia I just put on a customers car, then be prepared to spend a some money to have your bodyman smooth out the waves and fill the pin holes as they need a little work before painting.

BYT U L8R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A repaired Viper hood will eventually show the damaged area again. Fight the insurance company! Do not settle for a repair that will never look right to begin with. Also, your insurance company should have no problem replacing your hood as the other company will be paying for it anyway. FIGHT IT!! insurance companies ****...

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would a minor accident like this show up on Carfax? I don't think it will, but I could be wrong.

I think anytime you make a claim on your car, Carfax picks it up. If your insurer is notfied. Not positive either...

I wouldn't settle for a repair if it was mine. I'd fight as far as I could to get a new one. I like the ideas expressed already, see if you can swing it & get an Elite hood...try to come out ahead on this one!

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talk to your insurance company and demand replacement, not repair, AND diminution of value.

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, most claims are not in carfax. Carfax is a lot of hype and very little substance. I bought a used car that seemed in perfect shape. After driving it a little while, noticed a lot of problems, took it to several shops and long story short, it had been totalled, front right was pushed back several inches and pulled out most of the way back at a frame shop. After I found all this out, I still went to several shops and had more work done. None of this, including the original total and repair was ever caught on carfax. Don't believe the carfax hype. It's the .com of the automotive world.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I agree with Cratica, For the people who remember my ordeal with my GenI viper, it was in a bad car wreck when I bought it and the screwy car salesman/owner flash the car fax in front of me saying that the car was never wrecked. He was the one that did the repairs and paid for it so it never showed on carfax. I think car fax is B.S. is not totally accurate.

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rob,
Don't believe an insurance company as the final word. They are just trying to save themselves money. I'd get 3 estimates, all with NEW hoods. If they balk at the middle estimate, tell them that you are going to take it to a lawyer and include damages for "diminished value" and also your right to a rent a car of equal value ($400 per day) for the period of time in which your car was undriveable because of the accident and while it was in the shop. If they balk, hire a lawyer and procede. They will lose and they know it, so they'll settle for more than they are trying to get away with now. Insurance companies will try ANYTHING.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My buddy wrapped my Vette around a light pole in Houston; $12,000 in damages. It is not reflected on CarFax Report three years later. Nor was it reflected at any time immediately following the claim. I think there are rules about deceptive trade practices, but it may be subjective on whether or not this trend fits the bill. I really believe they need a "check" though. Someone should yank their chain.

No, most claims are not in carfax. Carfax is a lot of hype and very little substance. I bought a used car that seemed in perfect shape. After driving it a little while, noticed a lot of problems, took it to several shops and long story short, it had been totalled, front right was pushed back several inches and pulled out most of the way back at a frame shop. After I found all this out, I still went to several shops and had more work done. None of this, including the original total and repair was ever caught on carfax. Don't believe the carfax hype. It's the .com of the automotive world.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, fight the good fight, don't let them start any repairs until you have agreement on a new hood...

Recently I had this experience on my E320, and I went thru my ins company (State Farm) and they took care of repairs at their approved repair shops, and they subrogate to the other ins company...This is standard procedure, but I guess you run a minor risk of problems between ins companies, but my understanding is this is part of what you pay your ins co for, so let them push the paper work, etc...

I did it this way, but I had to deal direct with the offending puke's ins company to get my rental car daily allowance payment (which actually was very easy)...I used a "family spare car" instead of renting a Geo (sorry, no offense intended) and they customarily pay $10-$15 per day for use of a personal/relative's car...It is not much, but may add up to a few tanks of gas!!! Viper repairs are never quick...

good luck!
Tomer

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang