Help-Rear Diff metal on metal noises.....ugh

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Gang,

Pulled my 97 GTS out of hibernation finally for the first time Sat night and encountered a severe metal on metal rubbing noise coming from what I have deduced down to the rear diff.

I do recall some grinding when returning from the dealership on the frame recall, I had them change the fluid in the diff at that time. Thought I'd investigate in the spring, and here I am.

Took a look inside the diff today and the amount of fluid looks fine, no leaks to speak of. Everything else looks good, nothing rubbing or wear marks anywhere. If the dealer did not add the friction modifier would the noise be a result? (was charged for the modifier on the bill)

Straight line no noise, say 30, 40 degrees off center in light turns nothing, take a 90 degree corner (not near cranked 100%) and the noise comes on, seems to have the same pitch and frequency, does not lighten or worsen based on steering angle, and then stops when straight or near straight.

Anyone offer and troubleshooting on this, the dealer is 200 miles away.....

thanks for any help,

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ryan, did the put the special additive in the differential when they changed your fluid? I think I have heard of this problem before and they not only have to put differential fluid in but a little bit of some special additive also. I'm sure others here would be more knowledgeable about that. Also, did you turn your rear wheels from time to time while your car was in storage to keep rust from forming in the top of the differential where the lubricant is not touching?

OP
OP
G

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Sean,

The invoice charged me for the modifier, but wondering if the fluid fill is from someone not Viper smart, ie the modifier was not added.

Flat out scary sounding, and want to get to Dyno Day this coming weekend, yet another kerchink in the plans!

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Sean,

The invoice charged me for the modifier, but wondering if the fluid fill is from someone not Viper smart, ie the modifier was not added.

Flat out scary sounding, and want to get to Dyno Day this coming weekend, yet another kerchink in the plans!

Just because it showed up on the invoice doesn't mean the yahoo remembered to put it in. It's just my guess though. Good luck finding the solution. Do I search, I am almost positive I've heard this very same problem from others and it was that the additive was not put in.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What does the invoice say they put in for fluid? (Besides the inhibitor) I use two bottles of the friction inhibitor, no noise...in either the viper or the Durango...

Dave's Big Brakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean, Have them put in another additive, as that's what it sounds like. If not go to brand X(gm) they have the best additive, and then drive the car around in circle's both left and right. The noise then should go away :cool:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The boneheads were putting diff fluid in the trannys at a Dealership in Tampa.

When I say my daily prayers I always close with, "And thank you God for giving me the mechanical aptitude to work on my own Viper and not having to rely on some dumbsh*t that would screw everything up."

OP
OP
G

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well you guys confirmed it, I'll drain out the fluid and rehit with confirmed correct fluid with modifier. Sometimes when you want something done right, ya gotta do it yourself.

This would be the first (and only) fluid change I have ever paid to change, and reason being the diff was out for the recall, what a drag.....

Thanks, Sean, Gerald, Dave, Chuck,

And to Sean and Gerald thanks for all the help with the exhaust, headers are on, Roe Ovals, rear **** is in place as of now, will drop and X if more volume is needed, not enough seat time to decide as of now. As of now the exhaust note is not much different, side sill heat from the interior is gone, 100%, not even warm at all. The actual sill gets a little toasty still after stop and go for an hour, but nothing like it was.

New Kumhos all around on Sat, these tires hook like no other, first gear romps from a crawl just squats and hooks, NICE!!!

I'll put up a thread when I get some miles on the setup, and see what she pulls on Sunday at out Dyno Day.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just swapped out my rear diff and watched the tech add the modifier and the correct fluid.
have to keep an eye on them...
bummer to hear they may have done it wrong.
do you have stock rear gears?

OP
OP
G

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just to revive my own thread and portray coolness:

drained my rear diff fluid and added the proper fluids (oem):

1.5 quart Mopar rear diff fluid (rebrand Castrol syntorq)
4 oz Mopar friction modifier

eliminated the noise immediately, 100%.

the dealer missed the 4 oz modifier is my educated guess, not good......

caught on the first tank of gas, hopefully no wear issues on the diff.

oil had suspended bubbles during the draining, perhaps a tipoff of no modifer? who knows, regardless if any has my first post problems, rehit that fluid!