Help with Door Speakers

Zan186

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just went and upgraded my Head unit, new amp and new speakers. I tried to put the Focal's 165 K2P, but they had to build out almost an inch to make them fit. I think the mounting depth is like 3" on those components. Anyone install MB Quart's Q series in the doors? (2002 GTS). I am looking for a higher end setup as the vehicle is gonna be my toy for the rest of my life :)

usaf0016

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the only speakers ive really heard of being replaced are the ones on the hood :p

you can do a search and find some stuff on the subject lots of people have done similar things, most of what ive seen are the center console speakers though

moeviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replaced my factory speakers with Polk audio component speakers. No issues with fittings. I listened to the MB Qs but thought there was not enough bass, just treble so i did not choose them. Replaced head unit with pioneer w ipod connector. Factory amps, left rear speakers factory which I will replace one day. Mine sounds great. I wouldnt spend much more because the Viper is too loud anyway.

94 RT/10 Black
02 Suzuki hayabusa Black w 2 brothers racing exhaust
02 BMW X5 Black

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone ever try the Alpine component set up for the doors? I replaced the rears (used the woofer only) and they dropped right in, but the fronts mount a little differently - 3 screws vs 4. The Polks have the 3 screw set up.

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried to put the Focal's 165 K2P, but they had to build out almost an inch to make them fit.

Not true, you only need an extra 1/4 to 3/8 inch (I can't remember which) clearance to mount 6 1/2" Focal KP2s. This can easily be done by cutting out a thin plywood ring and placing it underneath the mounting surface of the speaker. You can pretty much forget about using the speaker grills, though. Here are some pics of my finished installation:

DSC01610.JPG

DSC01613.JPG

DSC01615.JPG

DSC01612.JPG

DSC01617.JPG

DrDJ

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you have to lose the spare in your install, or is it buried under the sub? BTW, nice looking job.

The spare is gone, but I can pull out the hatch equipment without too much difficulty, mount the old amp, and have working front speakers and working stock rear speakers, and put the spare back in for extended trips if needed. This is because I am still using the original DIN cable running from the head unit to the rear hatch and all of the stock wiring is still in place. In order to tap into the front speaker wires from the rear hatch, I used solder to stiffen up some wires and just stuck then into the correct slots in the connector that normally plugs into the stock amp. These can easily be pulled out and the plug can be reinserted into the stock amp.

DrDJ

OP
OP
Z

Zan186

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah but technically, they are not installed properly since their is no grill on them. At first they had them installed just like that but the problem is how long till that nice bullet middle cone gets clobbered by someone's foot getting into or out of the vehicle? I am a pretty big guy with size 11.5 feet. Occasionaly my toe would graze the grill getting out. No way am I gonna have a $900 speaker at foot level without some protection.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah but technically, they are not installed properly since their is no grill on them. At first they had them installed just like that but the problem is how long till that nice bullet middle cone gets clobbered by someone's foot getting into or out of the vehicle? I am a pretty big guy with size 11.5 feet. Occasionaly my toe would graze the grill getting out. No way am I gonna have a $900 speaker at foot level without some protection.

Whoa. Those are $900.00 speakers?!? Are you $hitting me?

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...the problem is how long till that nice bullet middle cone gets clobbered by someone's foot getting into or out of the vehicle?

I would say never because the center cone is a very solid metal, is permanently mounted and never moves. You could probably stand on that part of the speaker and not damage it. (I would not recommend trying this.) The rest of the speaker moves around it.

DrDJ

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
10 months with no problems for me. If you are willing to cut the passenger speaker grill to clear the lower part of the dash when the door is closed, you could still use the grills. The driver's side fits with no problem. If grills are that important to you, then the Focals are not the speaker for you. They, however, definitely do not need to be "built out an inch" to fit.

DrDJ

Last edited:

Baked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried the focals too but realized they were actually 6 3/4" instead of 6 1/2". I didn't like the look of them sticking out.
I replaced them with infintity (6012) coaxial speakers and they sound really good. These are 4 hole instead of 3 so I did have to drill a hole. The factory grill does fit over these speakers though, so it's looks like factory. If you can get a hold of the polk DB650's they are a perfect 3 hole fit but they are discontinued now and don't sound as good.
Good luck.:2tu:

crow_48032

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there really not a whole lot of different options for going with upgraded door speakers....or are the focals and infinity pretty much it?

Baked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Polk audio also makes the new version of the DB650's which is now the DB651's. They are a 4 hole though. I tried them too, but found the infinity sounded better.
There are probably lot's of opions but it seems you will probably have to drill a hole or two. It also depends if you want to use the aftermarket grill or factory grill.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll assume in most of these cases, whether Polk, Infinity or some of the other brands I've never even heard of, that the tweeter also fits? Hasn't been much chat about the tweeters in this thread.

crow_48032

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see......

I take it in order to put a set or a single sub in the back of a GTS or an RT/10 I would imagine a custom box would also have to be built

Baked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just left the stock tweeter in and replaced the door speaker only.

As for the subs, JL audio makes some 6W0 (6" subs) that fit perfectly into the rear speaker spot of a gts.
I replaced the door speakers with the infinity's, the JL audio subs in the back (no big punch but still sound good) an aftermarket amp and deck and now it sounds great.

cuong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
try dynaudio esotec speakers 242 . they are just as good as those focals and are a little slimmer. i think it retails for about 800.

crow_48032

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm really interested in what's been done with subs in the trunk of RT/10's or the hatchback with GTS's.... if anyone had suggestions please let me know!

How well would one decent MTX or JL "12" hit....in the trunk or hatchback of an RT/10 or GTS...would it be better to go with 2, 10's or would 2, 12's even fit in the back of either vehicle?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't do anything - sub wise - that would end up with a spare tire delete. I live near Dallas, and bought the GTS in Tulsa. On the drive up to get it in the rental car, I saw a Vette on the interstate in Oklahoma rolling to a stop with a flat. A descent looking car aside from the bad rubber. Several hours later with the new car under me, I passed the Vette sitting there abandoned. I'd put my money on the fact that he or she had no spare. They certainly had legs to walk away, so one would assume they had arms to run the jack. If they had a spare.

To each his own, but I'm keeping the spare! So how do you get a sub AND a spare in a GTS?

crow_48032

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't do anything - sub wise - that would end up with a spare tire delete. I live near Dallas, and bought the GTS in Tulsa. On the drive up to get it in the rental car, I saw a Vette on the interstate in Oklahoma rolling to a stop with a flat. A descent looking car aside from the bad rubber. Several hours later with the new car under me, I passed the Vette sitting there abandoned. I'd put my money on the fact that he or she had no spare. They certainly had legs to walk away, so one would assume they had arms to run the jack. If they had a spare.

To each his own, but I'm keeping the spare! So how do you get a sub AND a spare in a GTS?

Good point, is it possible to keep a spare, and have a sub or subs in a GTS or RT/10?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't corvettes have run flats? Couldn't that guy have just drove to the nearest tire shop and have the problem taken care of.....:dunno:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good point, is it possible to keep a spare, and have a sub or subs in a GTS or RT/10?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't corvettes have run flats? Couldn't that guy have just drove to the nearest tire shop and have the problem taken care of.....:dunno:

Welllllllllll... We are talking about the mentality of someone that would drive a bowtie... :crazy2:

OP
OP
Z

Zan186

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I guess you have to view the spare tire in a slightly different light.
1) Do I plan on jacking up my viper on the highway/road, getting all dirty from handeling the old tire and then plan on getting back in my nice clean car.
2) I have haggerdy insurance which provides me with flatbed towing if I need it within 75 miles of my house. (I dont take the Viper further).
3) I always try to carry my cell phone in the Viper in case of an emergency

Knowing all this the spare is useless and a sub is better!

crow_48032

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welllllllllll... We are talking about the mentality of someone that would drive a bowtie... :crazy2:

haha, nicely put!

I guess you have to view the spare tire in a slightly different light.
1) Do I plan on jacking up my viper on the highway/road, getting all dirty from handeling the old tire and then plan on getting back in my nice clean car.
2) I have haggerdy insurance which provides me with flatbed towing if I need it within 75 miles of my house. (I dont take the Viper further).
3) I always try to carry my cell phone in the Viper in case of an emergency

Knowing all this the spare is useless and a sub is better!

I have a similar plan with AAA, so missing a spare tire for me isn't to big of an issue either.

But back to the question....does a special box need to be built in order to fit subs in the RT/10 or the GTS?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang