Help with wheel removal

Richard K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would appreciate some suggestions on this. I need to remove a rear wheel for battery replacement on my 97 GTS. I have HRE's with StopTech brakes, and after pulling the lug nuts, it appears that the wheel has seized up against the brake rotor hat. I've tried using a rubber mallet on the backside, but no luck so far. Anyone have any suggestions before I have to get Medieval on the puppy! Also, for future removal, what can I use to prevent this. Thanks.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As far as preventing this from happening in the future, you use a product called "never seize". Kinda silver looking goop.
As far as getting it off? Good luck!

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
maybe gently let the car come down on that wheel to put more pressure on it than you can by hand, then rotate the wheel and try again?

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
squirt a little penetrateing oil around the hat where it had seized, take a 2X4 that spands the length of the tire. Hit the center of the 2X4 with a heavy mallet and it will come off. I just had this problem Yesterday and this worked for me. Not on my viper it was on my f350

OP
OP
R

Richard K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been working with a 2x4, penetrating oil, mallets and swear words already, but will keep trying. Thanks all for the suggestions.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HRE's are known for this, even with stock brakes, and even though they may have been off just days earlier. I had this problem with the rear wheels on my GTS every time, but was always lucky enough to get them off with my low tech solution (kicking the hell out of the tire sidewall on alternating sides), eventually. Good luck.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem with a friend's wheels. I think HRE paints the side that presses against the hub and over time "seals" the two together.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How does that happen??

Electrolysis, commonly known as dissimilar metal corrosion. The wheel and disc are made from different metal thus having different energy potentials. When they are in contact you have an energy transfer, similar to a battery cell. Fusion of the metals then occurs. I put anti-sieze on my wheels when I changed them, 10 months later, the wheels came off easily.

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"my low tech solution (kicking the hell out of the tire sidewall on alternating sides), eventually"

That's how I do it, just don't knock it off the jack.

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hey richard

take a bottle jack and place it behind the wheel that is stuck and then expand it putting preasure on the wheel and the rear strut...then take a rubber mallet (or hammer) to get the tire to pop off...i use this technique with break rotors that are stubborn...the bottle jack i use is from a ford expedition...but i think any will do!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How does that happen??

Electrolysis, commonly known as dissimilar metal corrosion. The wheel and disc are made from different metal thus having different energy potentials. When they are in contact you have an energy transfer, similar to a battery cell. Fusion of the metals then occurs. I put anti-sieze on my wheels when I changed them, 10 months later, the wheels came off easily.

I've got stock, Forgelines and Purners and never had it happen before. Does HRE use cheaper material?

OP
OP
R

Richard K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the comments. Got it off yesterday afternoon using a length of 2x4 and a bigger hammer. There doesn't appear to be anything either on the wheel surface or the brake hat that you would expect could have been holding it this way. At any rate, I'll use anti-sieze compound and probably pull the others and do the same... can't imaging trying this off a busy road with a flat.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang