Hey DC, the Viper crowd likes this...(Admin note attached)

Scott M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Hey DC, the Viper crowd likes this...

I'm a "lurker" on this board, but I feel it's my duty to say that I felt totaly sick when I saw the proposed coupe too!

Please build it like the CC...some how, someway, I would buy one!

Black SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Daimler can build a 604HP sedan (SL/CL65 AMG) and they give us a 500HP "POS" GEN III coupe that nobody likes? I've seen a Z06 (bone stock, 405HP) run a 12.00 1/4 mile. The new Z06, with 500HP and similar gearing will run low 11's and my order is already placed, with my SRT-10 up for sale. I've already expressed my opinion of how the new Viper coupe should be configured. It would be the only thing that could dissuade my current purchase plans:

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=447826&Forum=UBB14&Words=&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=446567&Search=true#Post447826

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Does anybody REALLY think that DC cares what we think?! They are catering to the invisable masses that "they" think will buy this thing(which will be slower than the Vette). And to think they have problems right now unloading the SRT, what do they think it will be like when in 06, both this and the Z07(427) comes out. I'll bet we see "fire sale, all Viper must go regardless of profit or loss!" :confused: :confused:

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

While beauty is in the eye of the beholder - it'd be brave marketing manager who gambled the success of a prestigious new car on a bubble top design verses the sleek competition coupe lines that people already like.

If DC invests the money to build a CC street look-alike - the dang things will sell there is no doubt.

But if they make that bubble top - good luck, it'll be an uphill battle, and that could hurt the future viability of Viper period.

I may be a bean counter myself but I wish I could bang corporate bean counters heads together if they turn their back on what the public clearly want - just because it is a bit "harder"... well have faith in your engineers to find solutions - they've done great things before - give them the nod. There are people out there that could build a street CC on their own starting with nothing but an SRT10 and some pictures of a CC.... it's isn't too hard if DC wants to do it.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Does anybody REALLY think that DC cares what we think?! They are catering to the invisable masses that "they" think will buy this thing(which will be slower than the Vette). And to think they have problems right now unloading the SRT, what do they think it will be like when in 06, both this and the Z07(427) comes out. I'll bet we see "fire sale, all Viper must go regardless of profit or loss!" :confused: :confused:

Just remember - DC did a bunch of VOI user polls and "everybody" (not me) wanted a real convertible Viper. We got the SRT, and the dealers can't sell any of them. The biggest problem I see is that DC does not have Tom Gale as the head of Styling anymore, or an unabashed performance-crazy leader like Bob Lutz.

Done.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Why don't they S/C the Viper just like Ford is? :rolleyes:

..because their feedback from Viper owners (I have no idea which ones) says that they don't want forced induction...

Blazin' Blue Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Every quarter I read the Viper mag letters from Mr Jackson about how the Viper is a legendary American Icon. And that our snakes have a page in automotive history. Well Mr Jackson put the Comp Coupe on the street and a legend will be remade with the firing of the first piston. A chapter in that history book will need to be set aside to record all of the A$$ kicking performance on the street and in the showrooms this beauty WILL deliver

HOGDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

YES!!! BUILD the Comp Coupe for the street!! We only need the 525HP the CC already puts out.

I will buy at least one!! (Red w/White Stripes please)

BTW - You can get a Comp Coupe licensed for the street. There is a black one in South Beach, owned buy Viper Days Racer #98. "Yes Mrs. DMV, its a kit car, and I just love those shoes your wearing" - that smooth talking radio voice gets em every time!!

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I concur--- build it as we see the cc now. Is it merely an issue with the rear bumper not up to the government crash test spec??? Why reinvent the wheel?? Just add the neccesary pieces to make the cc streetable. The cc is a good looking, mean looking car up to the reputation that precedes it.. DC-- build it!! John

Bad Car

Viper Owner
Reaction score

This Comp Coupe must be built. If this car never goes into street production, it will be a black spot on DC and a slap in the face to Viper Nation!!!!

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

BTW - You can get a Comp Coupe licensed for the street. There is a black one in South Beach, owned buy Viper Days Racer #98. "Yes Mrs. DMV, its a kit car, and I just love those shoes your wearing" - that smooth talking radio voice gets em every time!!
And with the paint that thing is wearing you should see it turn heads! :eek:

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What's really insulting is that Dan Knott and others are saying in recent car mags and in the press coverage for the LA show that the SRT Coupe was revised to respond to the comments from VOI8! :p

Supposedly they raised the rear hips and the rear spoiler and dragged out the rear roof line a bit longer. All are improvements, but so subtle they are almost impossible to recognize. :crazy:

DC clearly has their head in the sand about the responses to this car -- don't insult us by saying that you are listening to us! :mad:

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Lutz is gone and it shows, seems like it was a one man show over there after all.

A lot of 427 Vettes are going to be sold and Dodge Dealers will be putting discount/incentive plans on the Viper coupes and verts.

I'll wait for the $10,000 off and 0% finance plans at the model year end Viper blow out sales.

ericj96

VCA Member
Reaction score

While it may not be the popular view on this thread I think the hard top viper seen recently at the LA show was a little better looking.

Quite frankly I feal sorry for the guys running the viper program because I just get the fealing they don't have the solid support of DC top management so they are stuck with a load of cost driven compromises. Cost driven compromises will not allow you to be the very best. I think some of the designers at Dodge would just love to get in there and redesign the body lines of the 3rd gen car especially the deap angular side slits that are so constantly harped on by every one from this board to the car mags.

Cars of timeless styling like the 96-02 GTS are a hard act to follow. This all reminds me of the change from the 1967 427-435 Corvette with the striped stinger hood to the 1968 vet. What could corvette have done as a styling follow up to the 63-67 stingray (the cars that bring the massive bucks at auction today).......nothing and they haven't but they have moved on to well designed bodies that produce great down force and low drag.

The new viper is a good looking car its just not quite what we are used to. Hopefully the viper program will survive to see a new generation....and DC top management will give them the opportunity to change the body pannels and bump the power as needed.

Thanks

Eric Jordan

nohsreg2000

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I wont buy the SRT coup, it is ugly. I would rather have the new Z06 as it stands. I would buy a CC looking coup before I even considered anything else.

kaval

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I agree with onerareviper... The GTSR concept is the most amazing vehicle built by human hands... I think it is the culmination of everything viper.
I would buy it in a millisecond

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

I will say this:

If I ever win the lotto, I WILL NOT STOP until I obtain one of the GTSR Concept Cars!

I think I could honestly and insanely say that I would drop a million bucks on one of those concept cars if I had it...

NOTTDADZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chuck

You couldn't be anymore right!! the picture that you posted is by far the best looking car I've ever seen, I've been a huge Viper fan since 94 and I would hate to see the snake die because of a horrible design and not enough ponies. This new car they have come up with, looks like an srt-10 with a hardtop and will NOT compete against the new z-06 corvette ( 500hp and 2900lb) For the price of a viper you should be able to kill the new vettes.

Let's see that car go into production w/ 625 or 650hp and put Viper back on top where it belongs!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

PSSST...KEVIN...

Thats because it IS an SRT-10 with a hardtop. hahahaha

kaval

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Daniel,

I didn't have the gutts to say it, but I'm glad you did. :2tu:

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score

PSSST...KEVIN...

I believe he means, and I agree and have said it before as well, it looks like an SRT with a hard top slapped on rather than integrated into the design.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

PSSST...KEVIN...

I believe he means, and I agree and have said it before as well, it looks like an SRT with a hard top slapped on rather than integrated into the design.

Makara- lol, I know...I am just giving him a hard time, he's one of my friends, lives about 40 minutes from me up in Strip-Club-Central, AKA Canada.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score

PSSST...KEVIN...

Makara- lol, I know...I am just giving him a hard time, he's one of my friends, lives about 40 minutes from me up in Strip-Club-Central, AKA Canada.

********** ehhhh? So you are saying that you and your buddies take cars over the border, strip them down, and part them out. I'm onto your scheme...