HID Question/Input needed

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I did a search and have read all the old posts regarding this topic. I wanted to see if anyone has any new input.

I have had two HID kits in my car, yes the cheap ones. One from an old vendor, and one kit from ebay, both 6000K. To look at them on the car, they looked great. Nice color. HOWEVER, they SUCKED for driving at night. Both sets were not even close to my wife's escalade or my neighbors C6. Although the color on the road was nice, they were just not bright enough??

So, I have decided to do what I should have in the first place and order a set of McCulloch. Any places bettter than others to get these? How about 4300 verse 6000? What range are the SRTs?

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Whats the wattage on them?

I just put 35watt 7000k fogs, and they are bright as $hit..

OP
OP
S

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure of the wattage, I don't have the boxes in front of me. I also don't have fogs anymore to help out.

What brand did you use?

OP
OP
S

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are you using in your 9005 low beam?

I'm leaning towards 5000k to get the brightest without yellow. The 6000 I have now seems too blue to put out any good light.

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What are you using in your 9005 low beam?

I'm leaning towards 5000k to get the brightest without yellow. The 6000 I have now seems too blue to put out any good light.

For the lowbeams, I also have 35watt7000k HIDs. Now you can get 55watt HIDs, which are super bright..

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Damn, now I am really confused.:D What should I get?:dunno:

Are you happy with your setup? Easy to install?

Very easy to install. Pretty much plug and play..

Here's just the fogs on..

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyt20l1A3o8[/media]

OP
OP
S

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll have to check out the video from home.

How would you compare your headlight kit to the factory lights on your Z06?

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am putting on head lights and fog for a customer of mine. He went with the 5000K version and will post the results. I would have gone lower to like 4300K because 6000 and above you will have a hard time seeing at night or at least I do. It's like driving with black lights.

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll have to check out the video from home.

How would you compare your headlight kit to the factory lights on your Z06?

The low beams on the Z06 comes with 4300Ks. I swapped those out to 6000Ks. My Viper I have 7000Ks. So the Viper low beams are a little bit more blue compared the the 6K. Brightness and visibility in the night. I would say that they are close though..

YouTube - 2010 Z06

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4300K is going to be the brightest light output.
5000K is the whitest light.
I use 5000K, 35W. But I've been thinking of trying the new 55W.
I have the SharpHID kit and I did a writeup here:
SharpHID - Automotive HID Xenon Conversion Lighting Products
scroll down to the Viper
Most new cars come with 4300K stock.
Simms, you may need to readjust your headlights. The light may not be focused on the road.
The light from the HIDs is going to be brighter than a halogen bulb, however, our lights are not the best design and will never be as good as other cars because of the angle they sit at.

EFI-1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bushido....Your GTS is SICK!

Thanks for posting this thread Simms. I've been trying to plan out the HID route I wanted to go. If the stuff Bushido is using is all plug/play, I guess I'm going that route. Price is right.

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm planning on getting mine from V-leds.com There LEDs are awesome so I expect there HIDS kits are the same quality!

On a side note. I am looking to add a set of fog lights to my ACR since I do a lot of night driving. Does anyone know how to hook up the wiring to my factory switch? Thanks!

OP
OP
S

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys.

I've thought about the alignment, but if anything they seem to be angled down a little more right in front of the car. Even at that, the light is not bright on the road.

Bushido/BOTTLEFED, why did you guys chose the brands you did rather than Phillips or McColloch?

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't comment on the McColloch, but most of these kits are made in china, no matter what name is put on them. The Phillips kits are just renamed chinese kits. I'm not sure if they bought the rights from Phillips to use the name, and there is not trade mark info on the boxes. Much of the markings are chinese as well. They are not bad kits and the quality is higher than average.
The kits I use are very high quality and are backed by a life-time guarantee. I have used 5-6 kits from this guy and never had one problem in the past 3 years.

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bushido/BOTTLEFED, why did you guys chose the brands you did rather than Phillips or McColloch?

I heard good things about HID Xenon Conversion Kit . Their good customer service, etc. Anyhow, I've had my HID low beam kit on my Viper for 3.5 years now, without any problems. So just recently I decided to order my HID fog light kits from them..

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your GTS is nothing compared to the Navigator or Corvette because the lenses in a GTS are not designed for HID's. Just because it is a projector does not make it an HID housing, however, installing HID's is a huge improvement over the stock halogens.

OP
OP
S

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your GTS is nothing compared to the Navigator or Corvette because the lenses in a GTS are not designed for HID's. Just because it is a projector does not make it an HID housing, however, installing HID's is a huge improvement over the stock halogens.

Yes, I understand the projector lense is not ideal for the HIDs. However, my stock halogens look brighter on the road than the HIDs do in my car. Something is not right with the cheap units I have.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a set of McCullochs in my VW and they are top quality. I had to relay and wire them myself, but that was due to the application and a long time ago. Also, they are a little more expensive, but worth it.

I have purchased at least 10 sets from HIDworld.com and use them in all our vehicles. Price is a little more than Ebay, but quality is much better. Only had a problem with a bizenon set in our HHR trailer car. Just needed to be re-relayed. Other than that, they are plug and play, super fast delivery. Run em in my Viper fogs and they are much brighter than the factory headlights. Usually run 6000 or 8000, 55W.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I understand the projector lense is not ideal for the HIDs. However, my stock halogens look brighter on the road than the HIDs do in my car. Something is not right with the cheap units I have.

Projectors are absolutely ideal for HID's, just not ours. Very few vehicles actually run HID's without projectors. Very odd your stock halogens seem brighter. I run 8k's in my car and while they are not extremely bright, they do outshine my stock halogens.

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Very easy to install. Pretty much plug and play..

Here's just the fogs on..

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyt20l1A3o8[/media]

Car looks good with the black chrome rims. I know it's all personal preference, but you should consider getting some tinted windows though, I think that would really set her off nicely.

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Car looks good with the black chrome rims. I know it's all personal preference, but you should consider getting some tinted windows though, I think that would really set her off nicely.

Thanks..

There's no chrome on the wheels. Flat black center, with a gloss black lip. Anyhow, I agree about tinting the windows though. I've been thinking about that for some time now..

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I changed my Z06 HID low beam bulbs. The projector looks the same as the one on my GTS..

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What makes Vipers so different from other projectors? I haven't looked that close at other cars.

If you disect a project from a car designed for HID's it will be made different. The lense will be crystal clear. There will be a piece of metal covering half the light output which creates the "cutoff" and prevents you from blinding others. The viper has the piece of metal, but the lense itself is plastic and dingy.

OP
OP
S

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Projectors are absolutely ideal for HID's, just not ours. Very few vehicles actually run HID's without projectors. Very odd your stock halogens seem brighter. I run 8k's in my car and while they are not extremely bright, they do outshine my stock halogens.

Sorry, I was refering to the projectors in the Viper (or non-HID vehicles). I was just reading about the various projector lenses on another forum. Interesting stuff I never knew.

My main problem may be the cheap components of the kit I purchased. I got a deal on a set of McCollochs that I could not pass up. I'll give them a shot and report back.

Thanks everyone for the help and input.