HID Question/Input needed

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I changed my Z06 HID low beam bulbs. The projector looks the same as the one on my GTS..

You are right, they look the same, they both look round. Do a search on projectors and HID's via google for information. There is a science behind how light is distributed and controlled. This is why there are very few vehicles that run HID's without using a projector. Off the top of my head Mercedes and I believe the Navigator do not use a projector. Tons and tons of R&D go into light control. It is pretty indepth. I am no expert but I have done a lot of research on converting SRT headlight projectors to my GTS. I would need spare lights though and I dont have a couple grand to invest in a fairly useless project.

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You are right, they look the same, they both look round. Do a search on projectors and HID's via google for information. There is a science behind how light is distributed and controlled. This is why there are very few vehicles that run HID's without using a projector. Off the top of my head Mercedes and I believe the Navigator do not use a projector. Tons and tons of R&D go into light control. It is pretty indepth. I am no expert but I have done a lot of research on converting SRT headlight projectors to my GTS. I would need spare lights though and I dont have a couple grand to invest in a fairly useless project.

When I pulled out the HID bulb out of the Z06. The projector housing from the rear looked the same to me. As the one in my Viper. With that said, the HID lowbeam on my Z06. Is just as bright, and the projection seems the same as the Viper to..

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I pulled out the HID bulb out of the Z06. The projector housing from the rear looked the same to me. As the one in my Viper. With that said, the HID lowbeam on my Z06. Is just as bright, and the projection seems the same as the Viper to..

Not to keep it off track but you can continue to argue or you can take 5 minutes and educate yourself. Looks and material quality can be deceiving.

OP
OP
S

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For anyone interested, I installed the McColluch units and they are MUCH brighter than my previous kit. I have not driven at night with them yet, but they are probably 3 times brighter on my garage wall (sorry, I did not take any pics).

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a deal on a set of McCollochs that I could not pass up. I'll give them a shot and report back.

Thanks everyone for the help and input.

For anyone interested, I installed the McColluch units and they are MUCH brighter than my previous kit. I have not driven at night with them yet, but they are probably 3 times brighter on my garage wall (sorry, I did not take any pics).

simms,

some ??????:

wattage :eater:

"k" color :eater:

ease of install :eater:

deal available to others :eater:

tia

Red Shift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DDM Tuning.

Quality, small, choice of bulb temperature, $50, can get a 55W kit that has 50% more lumens.

I didn't read the other posts. These are what I went with. The slim ballasts will fit inside your head light housing (no drilling required)! Get 4300K bulbs for maximum visibility. That's what factory HID systems have. I have 6000K bulbs (8000K for the 55W kit - it blows it out to 6000K). It's a bit more blue than I'd like. I was looking for white with only a hint of blue - would look decent with a B/W. I called them and they said the resultant color depends on the headlight design (e.g. the Lotus Elise does some really wacky things).