high quality rendering found. (spoiler alert?)

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a closer look at the hood from another angle.

You must be registered for see images

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Or, maybe it's from the new Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8:eek: I guess SRT really wanted to keep with the "family resemblance" look with their new Viper styling. For me, I'd rather have the Viper taking the design lead and have the "siblings" look up to us:smirk:

I know it's too early to make final judgement but that is stupid if that's why SRT made the Viper the same. The Jeep SRT8 is Chrysler's flagship SUV. It's over $60k and putting some childish hood scoop on it would take away the classiness IMO. That's why they did it (should have IMO). The Viper however is a raw sports car. The Viper needs louvers, needs a scoop/naca duct, etc. I'm tired of every brand trying to make all of their cars look the same. Let the Viper stand alone with a few similar design cues.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Volado design looks striking at first glance to most. If people at the first glance at the Gen V will say, it will grow on me , it's a failure.First impression must be strong to become a timeless piece like the 1996 GTS was when it came out.Don't mind the latest rendering but wouldn't trade my 99 in for one.

OP
OP
K

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe that style hood vent is just the most efficient and does what they want it to do better than other designs. The Viper should be about performance over style anyways... If you want to LOOK fast, get a ricer. If you want to BE fast... wait til April 4 to make your decision.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand you guys...AT ALL...

That Valodo monstrosity is what current 12 year olds dream of doing to their future Honda's. Are all the Gen I-IV guys secretly hoping the Gen V is so hideous the value of their cars will go up?

Pretty sure the Viper has been about subtle smooth lines that are remembered for all time with a big package under the hood. Not some Need for Speed Inspired design.

--RS

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Completely agree with RS. I think you would be crazy not to trade your Gen2 for the Gen5 (ignoring price) IMHO, it is clearly better in every way and a clear evolution of the design. I even believe for the other 50% that prefer the gen3/4, they will view as significant upgrade and evolves some design elements. As for the Volado design, while striking at first glance, also seems extremely over designed and ugly from some angles because of it.

so, you really have to ask yourself (ignoring the $$), would you trade your gen 1/2/3/4 for this model? I suspect a huge majority will say yes when they see it. When you consider the expected quality and performance improvments, I think you even get more.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
viper GTS-R , I like voluptuous bodies hence the liking of my 99 GTS. However I did like the Honda NSX when it came out even though I was 44 yr old not 12 at the time ,haha.
These renderings don't have the smooth bends for me.The new car will have more angular shapes that looks alright for the Charger, maybe. If I was forking out some serious $$$ the Jaguar Growler would be IT .

You must be registered for see images

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know it's too early to make final judgement but that is stupid if that's why SRT made the Viper the same. The Jeep SRT8 is Chrysler's flagship SUV. It's over $60k and putting some childish hood scoop on it would take away the classiness IMO. That's why they did it (should have IMO). The Viper however is a raw sports car. The Viper needs louvers, needs a scoop/naca duct, etc. I'm tired of every brand trying to make all of their cars look the same. Let the Viper stand alone with a few similar design cues.

Ralph has said on many occasions that everything on an SRT serves a purpose. And lets not forget that he has said the design has been done for quite a while so how do we know that they didn't barrow design elements from the viper even though the car itself is not in production.

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Completely agree with RS. I think you would be crazy not to trade your Gen2 for the Gen5 (ignoring price) IMHO, it is clearly better in every way and a clear evolution of the design. I even believe for the other 50% that prefer the gen3/4, they will view as significant upgrade and evolves some design elements. As for the Volado design, while striking at first glance, also seems extremely over designed and ugly from some angles because of it.

so, you really have to ask yourself (ignoring the $$), would you trade your gen 1/2/3/4 for this model? I suspect a huge majority will say yes when they see it. When you consider the expected quality and performance improvments, I think you even get more.

Not me.

Could never trade away what started the whole Viper Nation (Gen 1/2). Nothing can match the original.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe that style hood vent is just the most efficient and does what they want it to do better than other designs. The Viper should be about performance over style anyways... If you want to LOOK fast, get a ricer. If you want to BE fast... wait til April 4 to make your decision.

If it has a grill/mesh I just hope that they make it body colored like the current Gens. I really don't think that it needs to be black which just draws unneeded attention to it. That's one of the things I really hated on the Shelby GT500's- that big old ugly black monstrosity on the hood. Their GT500KR hood was a winner in my book though!

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it has a grill/mesh I just hope that they make it body colored like the current Gens. I really don't think that it needs to be black which just draws unneeded attention to it. That's one of the things I really hated on the Shelby GT500's- that big old ugly black monstrosity on the hood. Their GT500KR hood was a winner in my book though!

The vents on the model at VOI. 11 were black in color. I liked them. I thought they should of had more vents then just the two.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does someone on our boards have the ability to take the rendering in the first post and adjust it to come more into line with the design of the toy 2013 Viper? Not the Hot Wheels poster picture - the actual toy.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I remember from VOI that isn't it but I couldn't tell ya why other than the car I saw had more curves.

DaDood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the front, but that car has no a$$ at all. That's what I loved about the GTS and the SRT coupe.

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score

How are you so certain 50% view the Gen III/IV more aesthetically pleasing than the Gen 1/2? Secondly, why so presumptuous that people would "trade ignoring price" for the gen5. Don't play fantasy games and manipulate variables like price. That's lame. Some people actually love the gen1/2 for exactly the car it is. Some don't care for comfy interiors or performance out of the box as their cars already make 700RWHP. A car is a VERY personal experience and if you are one that has to have the "latest and greatest" that is fine. However, as you will see with many viper owners, an early gen will always be in their garage if they are rich along with any other gen and if they are not....most likely a Gen 1/2 will be all that's desired.

There is a reason "old slow" cars sell for so much on "The Block." It's because of the passion the car evokes. It isn't the traction control, LED lights or illuminated cup holders. Nor is it even the 427. It's the passion alone..plain and simple. However encompassing that may be. That is why this Viper is so hard to "evolve." They KILLED it from the start.

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks good to me, what do you think? Originally from LeftLane news, obv.

You must be registered for see images attach

I think this will look better in person and will grow on people. If this is accurate I do have problems with the hood. It starts high then dips then goes up then dips again. From the side it also goes high on each side of the hood and dips; creating almost a "pool." Also, though the sides are much curvier like the Gen I/II, I really don't like how the hood cuts into that curve with a VERY sharp angle. The reason the Gen 1 (especially 2) looked so great was because of a very outrageous but simplistic and aesthetic beauty to it's lines. They seemed to flow completely from panel to panel. Though this isn't as sharp and angular as the Gen III/IV, it still seems a bit busy. However, I think it will always be hard to match the original; especially with "economical" factors needing to play a part in it's evolution from here on out. Either way; it definitely looks Viper..and that never is a bad thing.

Edit: further critiquing, I think my main issue is the mish mosh of angles and curves. The front end and headlamps are angular. That probably is why the hood closes over the side profile with a sharp angle that I don't like. Now, if taken from the front perspective, it looks nice because it is congruent with the headlamps and other sharper features. Now if you look at or try to envision the side profile with the doors, you see the curve again. The back is very curvy and lacking sharp angular lines. Yet again, the side sills are very sharp. So it's these inconsistencies with design that just don't "evoke passion" from me but I tend to prefer more of a swooping flow to vehicles or at least consistency with lines if they are to be angular. The 350Z flowed perfectly. The 370Z took the curves and added angles and killed the design IMO. This is, by NO means, a bad design....I just don't get why it has to be so "busy" for lack of better car writing skills!

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is only a rendering. Don't pour over the details too much or you're gonna give yourself a headache for no good reason

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How are you so certain 50% view the Gen III/IV more aesthetically pleasing than the Gen 1/2? Secondly, why so presumptuous that people would "trade ignoring price" for the gen5. Don't play fantasy games and manipulate variables like price. That's lame. Some people actually love the gen1/2 for exactly the car it is. Some don't care for comfy interiors or performance out of the box as their cars already make 700RWHP. A car is a VERY personal experience and if you are one that has to have the "latest and greatest" that is fine. However, as you will see with many viper owners, an early gen will always be in their garage if they are rich along with any other gen and if they are not....most likely a Gen 1/2 will be all that's desired.

There is a reason "old slow" cars sell for so much on "The Block." It's because of the passion the car evokes. It isn't the traction control, LED lights or illuminated cup holders. Nor is it even the 427. It's the passion alone..plain and simple. However encompassing that may be. That is why this Viper is so hard to "evolve." They KILLED it from the start.

Don't want to get into the gen2 vs gen 3/4 debate on design. There is passion on both sides, but would have to agree gen3/4 is a better car in every way other than possibly looks (which many have debated over the years). Also, to add context I owned a 65 corvette stingray for many years as well as a 65 AC Cobra replica before getting a viper. The two before are more iconic cars and definately create an emotional tie with them. Having said that though, after getting my viper, I never looked back. Driving experience, quality, safety, performance, etc is not even comparable. Are the two other cars worth more? (absolutely) Are the two cars before more raw? (absolutely) Is the Viper the most "raw" new car you can buy today? (absolutely) If I still had them all in the garage, would I choose to drive one more often than my viper (absolutely NOT). Going to the track, I would only take the Viper. Car Show? Sure I would take one of the others but are we saying we want show cars?

So, my point is that its great to hold onto the past and the emotion it generates, but don't confuse it with it being a better car. btw, having said all that, I think the Viper is a bit unique in this discussion. I test drove a Corvette ZR1 before getting mine as would have been a natural for a guy that loved his mid-year corvette. Problem is it looks to much like all other corvettes, so a degree of "special" was missing. Vipers don't have this problem.

Lastly, I don't buy the "I don't want a fancy interior, controls, because that makes it less raw" argument. The design and features of the new car will blow gen2/3/4 owners away because it is quite frankly a better design in my opinion the best looking Viper yet all with much improved performance. The fact that the #'s sold will be low will still make it have that "special" feel. So, my main point being, gen 1/2 guys could always justify their slower cars over gen3/4's because of the design they liked better. Corvette "mid-year" guys would do the same. (I know) I think that will be a much more difficult discussion to have when comparing to the gen2 to a gen5.

At the end of the day, we should all be extremely excited they are building such a car for us to even debate and critique, but I think we do it a huge disservice when we say they "KILLED" it from the start. It will still be the "rawest" new car you can purchase.

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't want to get into the gen2 vs gen 3/4 debate on design. There is passion on both sides, but would have to agree gen3/4 is a better car in every way other than possibly looks (which many have debated over the years). Also, to add context I owned a 65 corvette stingray for many years as well as a 65 AC Cobra replica before getting a viper. The two before are more iconic cars and definately create an emotional tie with them. Having said that though, after getting my viper, I never looked back. Driving experience, quality, safety, performance, etc is not even comparable. Are the two other cars worth more? (absolutely) Are the two cars before more raw? (absolutely) Is the Viper the most "raw" new car you can buy today? (absolutely) If I still had them all in the garage, would I choose to drive one more often than my viper (absolutely NOT). Going to the track, I would only take the Viper. Car Show? Sure I would take one of the others but are we saying we want show cars?

So, my point is that its great to hold onto the past and the emotion it generates, but don't confuse it with it being a better car. btw, having said all that, I think the Viper is a bit unique in this discussion. I test drove a Corvette ZR1 before getting mine as would have been a natural for a guy that loved his mid-year corvette. Problem is it looks to much like all other corvettes, so a degree of "special" was missing. Vipers don't have this problem.

Lastly, I don't buy the "I don't want a fancy interior, controls, because that makes it less raw" argument. The design and features of the new car will blow gen2/3/4 owners away because it is quite frankly a better design in my opinion the best looking Viper yet all with much improved performance. The fact that the #'s sold will be low will still make it have that "special" feel. So, my main point being, gen 1/2 guys could always justify their slower cars over gen3/4's because of the design they liked better. Corvette "mid-year" guys would do the same. (I know) I think that will be a much more difficult discussion to have when comparing to the gen2 to a gen5.

At the end of the day, we should all be extremely excited they are building such a car for us to even debate and critique, but I think we do it a huge disservice when we say they "KILLED" it from the start. It will still be the "rawest" new car you can purchase.

Wow, I think you missed my entire point and ironically proved it with your reply. I highlighted it for you. You went to great lengths to talk about how new vipers are better as overall "cars" (interior, engine, etc) in which I originally stated. However I mentioned that many people don't care about those things when they have something that evokes such raw passion and admiration. It isn't like a gen 2 got slaughtered by a gen III in performance; quite close stock. The mods on Gen II/III/IV make them all too fast for almost any driver. But again, that isn't the point. The original viper evoked so much excitement and passion from its owners and viewers that it is hard to top. Plain and simple. Your conumdrum with the vette only proves my point that no matter how technically amazing the Vette is (and it is quite a nice vehicle with lots of buttons to push) it doesn't EVOKE a visceral response from some.

I am glad you think the new one is the pinnacle of Viper ownership. But ironically you go from discussing the features and power and how it is not worth going down memory lane, yet then discuss why you DIDN'T go with the much "superior" ZR1 and went with a 500hp 2005 Viper Gen III. The ZR1 is faster, better engineered, has more comforts, safer, etc. All the things you said people need to go for....yet you went back to something that evoked passion in you. Dat dere contradiction is strong in you brah....

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like that. I bet the ACR would look evil in black!

That "other" hood pic, the vent looks nothing like the vent that SRT gave sneak peek at.

madninjaskillz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Left Lane photo does absolutely nothing for me. I suspect most of the people on this site feel the same way.

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, I think you missed my entire point and ironically proved it with your reply. I highlighted it for you. You went to great lengths to talk about how new vipers are better as overall "cars" (interior, engine, etc) in which I originally stated. However I mentioned that many people don't care about those things when they have something that evokes such raw passion and admiration. It isn't like a gen 2 got slaughtered by a gen III in performance; quite close stock. The mods on Gen II/III/IV make them all too fast for almost any driver. But again, that isn't the point. The original viper evoked so much excitement and passion from its owners and viewers that it is hard to top. Plain and simple. Your conumdrum with the vette only proves my point that no matter how technically amazing the Vette is (and it is quite a nice vehicle with lots of buttons to push) it doesn't EVOKE a visceral response from some.

I am glad you think the new one is the pinnacle of Viper ownership. But ironically you go from discussing the features and power and how it is not worth going down memory lane, yet then discuss why you DIDN'T go with the much "superior" ZR1 and went with a 500hp 2005 Viper Gen III. The ZR1 is faster, better engineered, has more comforts, safer, etc. All the things you said people need to go for....yet you went back to something that evoked passion in you. Dat dere contradiction is strong in you brah....

Actually, I think you are missing my main point. (I do understand yours) Corvettes have different models that look very much the same (for the same year) and the fact that you can get a new one for in the $50's for a base model and then $120s for high end is the issue. This is not the case for the Viper. (btw, no ZR1 existed in 2005/6) Also, you really are not suggesting you think the gen2 and gen3 are close in performance stock are you? Handling and breaking are different worlds. Maybe you are only thinking straight line? (which I think is the least important aspect of the car) All I am saying is I think the new one will evoke the same emotions as earlier models, but very possibly by a much wider range of folks.

As an example, the first Viper did nothing for me. The Gen2 GTS got me interested. The Gen3 finally for me created some excitement. Maybe is was just timing or interest or ???, but I would have never sold my mid-year corvette for a Gen1/2, but absolutely for a Gen3 or newer. I think the GenV will be a no brainer. But hey, just one guys opinion. The real thing that will matter is how many folks willing to put out $$$ for the new car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang