Highest Bone Stock HP!

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went to the Dyno again today. Took a 2000 RT/10. The car does have smooth tubes and dirty air filters. The car has never had a tune up. Factory spark plugs and wires. 14,950 miles on the clock.

Car came in at a WHOPPING 444.5 HP!!!

These are the highest numbers I have seen so far for a stock car. This is the same car that has pulled on the new SRT's. This car is fast.

The Dyno was a DynoJet (not a Mustang).

Has anyone topped this number?

FYI:
Correction factor was 1.01 SAE
Barometric Pressure 29.15
Intake air temp 78.3

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those are very good numbers which can be attributed to the mileage on your car. The most I've ever baslined on a Viper happened to be a 2001 and it was 418 SAE corrected with a little over 2K on the odometer. Congrats!

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow, that's the highest numbers I have ever seen and I am a numbers guy.

was there other Vipers for comparison to eliminate the possibility of the thing reading high?

OP
OP
J

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim, It does have a yellow window washer fluid cap. That may help. :)

This is the dyno that has produced two Vipers with only 390 HP. Average is about 415 to 420. No other Vipers were present today for reference. A big block 454 Chevelle ran after me with a 650HP custom motor and only pulled 313hp. He was not happy.

This 2000 RT will almost keep up with my 98 GTS with all the bolt on goodies...Headers, Exhaust, Cats, Flywheel, VEC1, Tubes/filters, 355 Gear. My 98 is fast. Last year the 2000 RT Dynoed at 436 HP... so it is getting stronger with age.

Larry you are correct. As the mileage is put on these cars, they get stronger. Most seem to cap out at about 15 to 20k miles. Then they are in their prime.

This 2000 Viper is the same car that beat the local hot Supra rated at 586 RWHP. We ran five runs and all five the Viper won.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Niiiice~! I take it these are RWHP numbers. You never mentioned... If that's RWHP, WOW! What does that equal at the crank?

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is the highest stock HP #'s I've read. Good for you!

It must be those extra strong new pistons they used in all the '00 to '02's! :) :) :)

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow again,

what did your 98 pull on the same dyno?

going to see what my 2000 header and high flows pull this sunday on my 97. 421 SAE stock.

thanks for the input on the jet hot coating, ended up coating the entire system, came out great, little seat time on the road as yet!

OP
OP
J

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald, Yes these are RWHP numbers. This car is strong. If you factor in about 15% loss +- then we are talking slightly more than 520hp at the crank.

Cody, Ha ha... I HATE those pistons. But as long as you don't modify the motor, they are actually better.

Ryan, My 98 pulled a 444.4 Almost identical numbers! But the 98 has thousands in upgrades. With these two cars racing, the 98 will just start to edge out the 2000.

Jerry Dobson

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What that tells us is that particular 2000 RT was a "good one".... in other words - it must run close to blueprint specs for that engine.

Therefore - if anyone out there with a 2000 model Viper blueprints their engine and does nothing else other than the smooth tubes - you can expect 520hp at the engine bone stock... that's very good!

:D

OP
OP
J

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Michael, That would be a great idea, but I think to break into the 11.6's, it would take a perfect track and a pro driver. But it WOULD be the car to compare against the SRT's. I am a GenII fanatic. I would have even put the factory tubes back on just so there would be no controversy of a stock car. (On this car smooth tubes produced ZERO HP).

But the sad news is this car is being changed for the better. I started to take it apart for a Roe SC installation. I wanted to directly compare HP before and after the installation without any other upgrades. Same Dyno, same time of year. I may Dyno again on Sunday if I am done and the weather is good. I will post the new numbers.

I am taking pictures of each stage of the SC installation. I know Kenny did this also. I was thinking about making a Video of the next installation and cutting a DVD. I work really slow. There is no way I could get an installation done in one day :)

S

SUN RA KAT

Jerry, my Viper with S&B filters, Roe smooth tubes, Belanger headers, Random Tech ultra high flow cats, 3" Corsa cat back, and VEC1 only gave me 436 HP before my Roe Supercharger. I had almost 5000 miles on it when I dynoed mine.

Your red Viper is already fast enough to be repainted Yellow! Congrats!

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can someone post the graph of that car? I would be interesting to see if it is a peak number, or if that car have more area under the curve than every other stock car.

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know about you guys (and gals), but to me "bone stock" means that it is just as it came from the factory. This means no smooth tubes, no K&N filters, no cat back, etc. etc... This is the only way you can compare apples to apples. Don't get me wrong, this is still a very strong car, but it is not "bone stock" as the intro states.
Bob K

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes post this dyno graph.

And dont take this the wrong way, but I would bet a considerable amount of money that this AMAZING viper will pull identical numbers to most other 2000+ vipers at the same dyno at the same time.

Dyno's lie, plain and simple.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know about you guys (and gals), but to me "bone stock" means that it is just as it came from the factory. This means no smooth tubes, no K&N filters, no cat back, etc. etc... This is the only way you can compare apples to apples. Don't get me wrong, this is still a very strong car, but it is not "bone stock" as the intro states.
Bob K

My sentiments exactly. I'm amazed at the amount of mods that can be done and still be called bone stock!!!

OP
OP
J

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob, The car is bone stock. I even said the smooth tubes made no difference... on or off. They are on right now just because they were purchased. Let me go to the garage, put the stock tubes back on and then you can refresh this page :) This car has no exhaust mods at all. It is the same as it came from the factory. Too quiet. It has never even had a tune up. It still has the factory brake pads. Then only thing that has been changed are all the fluids.

Russ, I will have to disagree. This car took first place in the STOCK class at Dyno Days. It was clearly stronger than the other cars. This car backs up it's strength on the street. In a roll on race, it will pull from other cars. I have seen exact same year cars deviate by 30+HP. This car is getting stronger because the mileage it has on it.

I will scan the Graph and post. Then we can compare to other 2000's.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since the only factory power adder difference between stock Gen II ACR, GTS and RT/10 are smooth tubes and filters and virtually everyone has them anyway, let's just add them to the 'stock' category and be done with it. We'll just give those individuals without the benefit of these a 5HP handicap for discussion purposes.

BTW, curious as to what smoothing factor was applied to your data per the thread over in the Dyno section.

--- Ken

OP
OP
J

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken,

VERY good point. I do not know what smoothing factor the software was set at. But the text numbers should be accurate correct???

So by Ken's new issues here are the differences:

Graph shows Max Power at 444.5

Text shows Max Power at 443.1

So if I am not wrong, it appears that the smoothing of the graph has giving me 1.4 HP for free.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is one strong creampuff! My '96 GTS with 4k miles and Balanger Headers, no cats, and [******] airbox only pulled 452rwhp and 512rwt. I am going to go to the dyno on the 3rd and see what extra miles and a 250 shot of NOS will do.

Kenric

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken,
I disagree on the tubes and filters issue. Not everyone has them. I have done baseline dynos on all three of my Vipers "bone stock".My '94 had a baseline of 365 rwhp and one month later after the tubes and filters it was 377. That 12 horsepower is a significant increase over "bone stock". I can't find the numbers on my '96 (bone stock it was 414). My '02 FE GTS was 414.5 "bone stock" and I am going to run it again with just tubes and filters.
Unless you use the definition of "bone stock" as "as it came from the factory" you will muddy the waters and not be comparing apples to apples.
Just my $.02 for whatever it is worth.

Bob K

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jerry, I do not think the 1.4hp difference has anything to do with smoothing. The text usually gives a reading of where ever a slideable vertical line is placed on your graph. The purpose of this line is so you can move the line to different RPM's and the text will tell you what your HP is at that point. I have printed graphs with the max number at 4XX and the text showing 3XX because I left the sliding line on a part of the graph were I was no where near my max HP.

Bone stock is just that, bone stock. Don't get me wrong these numbers are amazing for a near stock car. But it is just that, near stock. Has anyone looked at a stock filter lately? The foam part of that filter is a major restriction, without question. No one can tell me they dyno the same numbers with the stock paper/oily-foam filter as with an S&B filter. There is no way in the world. I know people on this board that post “stock” and have smooth tubes, filters and cat deletes. To me that is just not stock.

The post should have been titled “Most HP out of a tubes/filters only car.” Under that banner it is very impressive indeed. Now post the dyno sheet!

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow those #s are impressive, but what is more impressive is you beating a 580rwhp Supra :D Dynos dont mean anything especially since I only dynoed at 410 with tubes,k&ns and catless and 3.55s :eek:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang