Hill climb crash and frame damage

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the same post as on the Alley, so if you've seen it there first :eek: no point in reading on (!) but I'm hoping someone can advise re should I do a frame gusset?

After having to replace a broken clutch slave and many other probs (and missing out on booked track days / events) I finally got to get Viper out this year! Just 'limped' back from 3 day event racing in Isle of Man; they closed the public roads on parts of the famous TT-bike course to road race, hill-climb the cars. It was fast, bumpy, narrow, with no run off, dangerous but exciting. Day1, the first race was at night, a steep climb up through the narrow streets and over cross roads to the TT start/finish straight. I was nervous; the odds were on me to set the fastest time of the day! We weren't aloud to do a burn out and had to run street tires, so I spun in the first 3 gears, started to spin a little in 4th too, then the Kumhos started to hook, so I rolled into it some more at about 120mph, we were going blind up over the hill, I knew to keep left for the right turn over the brow, but we got too light over the brow and although I lifted as soon as I felt him start to go, at that speed I wasn't able to catch him. The wheel spin was enough to through us off, and we bounced over the sidewalk and off a concrete wall. The skid marks left behind were 250ft long, and for most of that I was just a passenger. Hay bales were sent high into the air across gardens, but they did help to deflect the car off the wall and lampposts. I was very, very lucky the rear kicked out to the right, as if he'd gone the other way, we would have headed straight at a huge crowd stood behind metal railings; that for sure would not have held back 4000lbs of car at 120mph. I'm gutted over the damage, but lucky the accident was not worse.

Lower front right frame rail's twisted and was hit up splitting the condenser, rad is also leaking. Fog lights gone and passenger side glass was knocked out. Side pipe and 3 of the wheels damaged. Left side of body trashed, and steel door bar brace bent so door wouldn't shut. Worst are both drivers upper and lower front frame rails are bent, crumpled in behind the rearmost front A-arm mounts (car pulling to the left with the left wheel now sitting further back, towing out etc). After checking all out, and much help from others loaning kit, etc, I was able to drive him (many thanks to Joel and also the GT40 club). Although his alignment was shot, due to what it cost me to enter and drive over there, via ferry, I carried on with the event over the next couple of days! Day 2 on the sprint, we were moved to run on the track with the fastest group of cars, as first time out we were overtaking too much, and day 3 I won my class despite taking it 'steady' up apparently the longest and steepest hill climb in the British Isles. All credit to the Viper, we had to drive home too!

Went to see about getting the frame jigged out and straighter, it can be done (when I can afford it for about $1k). But, I'm after advice as I'm worried it's already a weak point (crumple zone holes). I'm thinking of welding in a gusset, to triangulate this area of the lower frame rail to the 90degree rail back from it. It will make accessibility to adjust the suspension cam-bolt tricky, but I think will strengthen the area. (I'd do the gusset, like as done in the 998 recall to strengthen the steering rack mount area.) Have any of you that track your cars done this? I had a look at the GTS-R frame and it's different, much stronger with it's own turret that the A-arm mounts to.

Top of the mountain, there's a big drop over the edge!
352tophillclimb.jpg

Battle scars.
352battlescars.jpg

Cup I won, fastest in over 2.0L Sports class. You can see in pic how far back front wheel is from frame getting crumpled.
352hillclimbcup.jpg

Little vid Neil's kindly put together, and hosted on VA. First part is a steady siting run at start of Day3 hill climb, then the Day1 hillclimb crash, if link works:

http://[******]/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/25226/cat/509

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
another link to the vid, captured on a cellular by a spectator

http://www.vipergts.dsl.pipex.com/***.wmv

Ricksnake1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW! Just saw the video. As bad as the damage is, by your description of the crash, I thought it would be alot worse. Glad your ok and the damage is fixable.

SidewinderGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Glad to hear your OK,like you said it could have been alot worse.
Grate job on winning your class. :2tu:

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know it was a pain the first time you went through this, but I would bite the bullet and put in a new front section.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hats off to you for continuing to race after the accident. :2tu: Not many people use the Viper for what it was intended for like you do. I know you are going to get it running and looking as good as new. If it takes a month or year it is all good. Glad to see you walked away unhurt.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The frame rails are replaceable. I just went through reearching this issue myself. You will find many that say they are not, but there are a few experts that do it and know how and where to buy the frame rails from Dodge AND how to attach them. One guy I found has done 200 Vipers. Like new they say. Let me know if you would like some phone numbers of the folks I talked to. I know you know Chuck Tator and he probably has sources as well.

ViperDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry to hear about beloved, All credit to carrying on and still winning your class :2tu:

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just saw the wmv. I'm not in a politically correct mode, so I'll go ahead and say it: You need to get some driving lessons. You drive like a 16yr old boy that is high. The fact that power of the Viper helped you win your class doesn't mean you know what you are doing. You are dangerous.

Jerry Colpitts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry about your car nadine, glad your okay and you Won!!!! Funny how you call your car a HE and i call mine a SHE maybe they can get together!!!!!! {Baby Vipers} :2tu:

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for the mishap...***!

This was a RACE! Viperdoctor. Spectators should know that it is dangerous standing next to a street where cars go by at 200 km/h and faster

You must be registered for see images attach

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the accident!

Main thing is that you and the spectators are OK. Rest is plastic a bent steel, that can be fixed.

I hope your car will be back on the road, it has always been fun to see your videos from England!

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
viperdoctor,
*** would be the first to admit she's not a pro-racer driving to their standards but a club racer, she has proven herself in her viper over the years at various highly competitive pressure events not only quarter mile and top speed runs but around tight handling/autocross circuits and regular UK tracks where she has succeeded not only over other UK viper owners but regular track drivers in much more nimble vehicles.

The day before the accident *** was at Silverstone honing her drift manuovres, I watched vid footage that night of controlled skillful figure of eights dougnuts around cones in her GTS, something most 16 year olds could only dream of doing, me to! *** has had more seat time in a viper on and off the track than any of the owners here, clocking up some where around 60K miles. Motorsport is dangerous, watching the vid frame by frame *** knows she was very lucky although she may not feel it at the moment :( things could of been a lot worse and lessons have been learnt.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
things could of been a lot worse and lessons have been learnt .

Neil, is this proper queens english? :D :D

****, sorry to hear of the mishap. Hope to see "him" fixed back up to his steriod self real soon :2tu:

ViperDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not too sure what viperdoctor is basing his opinion on, the first sequence in the video was a run after the crash as stated in the post and by that time beloved would be handeling like a real dog with all that damage. So yes while there was over steer coming out of the corner I’m not overly surprised. Just a low pressure tyre can make a viper very twitchy to drive let alone frame damage that has pushed a wheel back an inch or so and totally shot the alignment.

In the second sequence there isn’t much other than the crash and *** did a real good job of keeping it straight and not just spinning out into the crowd. Even the top race drivers screw up sometimes and never look graceful when hitting a tyre wall.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
still youll find *** meant to kick the rear out on the clip shown, its a real tight uphill hairpin bend and the fastest way around is rally style. All the competitiors would of being doing that.

On the last years road trip to IOM I was co-pilot with *** and we went around that bend several times sideways :) it leads you up to the fast 2 car wide 8 mile or so mountain road with solid rock one side and a straight 1/4mile drop on the other, mess up there and its good night... best bit as you start climbing your greeted by a sign trying to slow people down
"165 deaths in the last 18 months" nice :eek:
but its absolutely stunning with no speed limits

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just saw the wmv. I'm not in a politically correct mode, so I'll go ahead and say it: You need to get some driving lessons. You drive like a 16yr old boy that is high. The fact that power of the Viper helped you win your class doesn't mean you know what you are doing. You are dangerous.

If A-HOLE awards where to be given out you would get two!! :buttkick:
Go back to the other site ****! :bonker:

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isle of Man is a small scenic island and motorsport is its life line, its what brings the tourists and petrolheads flocking, there are plenty of motor events throughout the year for all types of vehicles where they close down the roads
passing though tight,narrow,bumpy roads in the towns right passed people houses.
**** hill climb was one of them. If you havent seen the TT bike race you'd be amazed, the speeds they reach (high triple digits) on such roads is incredible, we've done a few laps around the course and its mind boggling to think they complete a lap so fast.
After the days racing and one day during the TT event they allow pumped up specators around the course on their bikes, its a free for all ! its called 'Mad Sunday' or something like that, sadly there are always several deaths. Even during the race there are usually a few that dont survive, I recall about 8 years ago 5 racers died....

Normally the only speed limits are through the towns 30 or 40 mph limits which
everyone seems to adhere to, outside of these you can do what ever speed you wish ! I've yet to spot a speed camera or a policeman standing with a radar gun.

There's are always islanders against the no-speed limit rules, but if the government brought new rules in, they know that would be the end of the money rolling in

heres a good read from a bikers perspective
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/escape/epicrides/123_0444_isle/

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I can't believe no one has said it yet:

"Should have bought your tires at Olin Mott..."

Considering what that poor car has been through in the past couple of years, this actually doesn't look terribly bad. If you need help with anything let us know what we can do to help out...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960