Holy Zaino!!!!!!

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By chance what would you guy's recommend for a Blue and White GTS. From the beginning (first cleaning) to whatever needed to make the car complete. How hard is it to properly use a claybar?

I have used Meguire's NXT so far and nothing else.

Thankyou for the advice.

I suggest you and most here, go to this website to learn tips and tricks before we screw up a finish. :D Read and learn from others mistakes....

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
now thats shine!

get too close it will burn your face off! It even turns the building red. :eek: :D

3168shine_-med.jpg

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To each their own.

If you want unbiased information on detailing...go to autopia.org or detailcity, or roadfly, etc. I would not expect unbiased information from a site like Meguiar's forums...or any other makers. When's the last time a fish seller cried "rotten fish"?

I'll stand by my products and methods...the pics of my cars speak for themselves.

backnblack..I'm glad you get the results you want with your products and methods. If I sound like a testimonial for Zaino...it's not because I have a stake in Zaino...it's because I have yet to find a better product. Most everyone I know has coverted from all kinds of different products to Zaino. Zaino is also the only product of it's type that offers tech support from the owner. Sal is a very knowledgable guy.

One more note about the PC machine..and I will officially sign off on this thread.(If someone has a question for me...let's do it with ***.) At a slower speed, with a soft pad (I use a Megs finishing pad which is much softer than any foam applicator) the PC is no more aggresive than doing a job by hand. It applies a thinner, more thorough coat of wax-polish, in a motion very similar to hand application. I too was very skeptical about this until a friend showed me how well his PC worked. Until you have used a PC, you cannot imagine how much of a help it is.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One more note about the PC machine..and I will officially sign off on this thread.(If someone has a question for me...let's do it with ***.) At a slower speed, with a soft pad (I use a Megs finishing pad which is much softer than any foam applicator) the PC is no more aggresive than doing a job by hand. It applies a thinner, more thorough coat of wax-polish, in a motion very similar to hand application. I too was very skeptical about this until a friend showed me how well his PC worked. Until you have used a PC, you cannot imagine how much of a help it is.

I really agree with this. Meguiars finishing pads are way softer then any small yellow hand pads.

Your friend probably learned this over at... :rolleyes:
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay..so I'll post one more response.

Newport...actually, my friend (Mike) that first showed me the PC machine was at the time using Griot's Garage pads. As a Meguiars' enthusiast, you should love the PC Machine....they sell the same machine with their name on it. Maybe "that" one would be okay to use?

I use the Meg's pads with a 3M Hook-It backing plate. A local auto body supply house that we do business with stocks them. The Meg's pads come in finishing which is very soft, polishing which is a bit stiffer, and then a cutting pad.

I apply with the finishing pads. These are thick, very flexible and soft. Using a hand held foam pad is more aggressive. A soft terry applicator may be more on par to the finishing pad.

I also can say without hesitation that neither Mike or myself use the Meguiar's forums. As I said above, I'd rather frequent a non-biased place for information. I know of many posters on that site that had posts removed because they were not "pro-Meguiars'". That said, I know they make some good products and use them myself.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like to read the Meg boards for information on techniques used by people especially using the PC, but what kills me about the site (and meg in general) is the sheer redundancy of the product line. They must have 20 different waxes to do the same thing with different names. Plus, if you follow their "guidance" on getting that perfect shine, you'll be spending a hundred bucks on products. Nonsense.

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like to read the Meg boards for information on techniques used by people especially using the PC, but what kills me about the site (and meg in general) is the sheer redundancy of the product line. They must have 20 different waxes to do the same thing with different names. Plus, if you follow their "guidance" on getting that perfect shine, you'll be spending a hundred bucks on products. Nonsense.

VJ Yea, I get the same impression...

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt you sound like a sponser for Zaino. I have been detailing cars also, maybe a little longer then you. Hey to each his own.I just know the more friction you use the better chance you will have screwing the paint. Orbitals aren't needed for waxing.If your paint is in good condition just hit it with a clay bar and then start the process. When I first used Zainos stuff I was like wow everyone is talking about this.Must be the sht to use.Well guess what, it ***** for blk cars.
Actually quite the opposite, I could not own a black car without Zaino. I have 3 black cars and 1 silver and think it works best on black and really makes the metallic pop on Silver. Wax/carnuba and alot of the other sealants seem to make my black look milky or cloudy.

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Using Zaino is really easy....I don't understand all the confusion about certain guys taking so long. Hopefully this post will help some out.

You do not need the Z5...it only HIDES MINOR swirls....read that again it HIDES...does not remove... If you go here and read you will see.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-5&Category_Code=Zaino

Why hide swirls when you can permantly remove them.
All you need for a perfect finish is ZFX and Z2 Pro...also Z6 and Z8.

This is a quote from Zainos website...

"It is best to avoid the use of abrasive products as much as possible. However, with deeper swirls and fine scratches, sometimes they are necessary. If you don't see a visible difference after 1 to 3 coats of Z-5, then you need to use 3M Foam Polishing Pad Glaze Swirl Mark Remover #39009. "

And for the users who wash their Viper everytime out. Use a wash soap brand that will "not" strip wax when you wash your Viper. BUT one more problem here...if you are in an area that has a lot of chlorine in your water ...you will only shorten the life of yours cars finish sooner. Ideally, a home water softener system is best.

Have you ever heard of California Dusters? When I got my 02 FE GTS...I made friends with Snake Bitten who has a PERFECT Finish on his BLACK RT/10. After discussing how his car is so perfect and swirl free...he told me that he hasn't washed his Viper in 3 years...NOW that got my attention quick..So I learned the proper way to take care of a Vipers Finish.

This really cuts down on washing. If you drive in the rain, well you will need to wash it then. I probably wash my Viper once a year.

First wash with dawn and claybar. ....Then inspect your Vipers finish in the bright sun...now make notes on where you have any swirls. The ONLY way to get swirls OUT is with foam pads and 3-M products. With a Porter Cable Random Oribital. To remove swirls, You need 2 things...Heat and an Abrasive...If anyone needs any help or info on getting swirls out..you can pm or email me...I would be glad to help. When finished with the 3-M products...take the car outside and check in the sunlight again. When you are satisified then you can start the Zaino. All you need is zfx and z2 mixed together... then spray z6 or z8 between coats...Use Micro-fiber towels. I recently did my Viper this spring and put down 3 coats in 2 hrs. I put 2 coats on my sons SRT-4 in an hour. With the new zfx you can start buffing immediately, as it accelerates the drying process. And you can apply a 2nd. coat as soon as your are finished with the first.

You DO NOT need to wash your Viper everytime you take it out. After a drive..simply use a lg. cali duster gently on the complete finish...then use a smaller duster on those rims..gently.

Now get the z-6 or z-8 and a micro-fiber towel and spray mist your Viper. And those rims too.It takes 10 minutes and you car is in perfect shape for a cruise. I also use Pinnacles Crystal Mist detailing spray and it is a little better than the z6 (Gives a much better wet look)...Use a small cali duster for the interior too...dash, seats, etc. Takes 2 min. to do.

I can't remember the last time I washed my Viper, and Snake Bitten hasn't washed his in 4-5 years.

I have talked with Sal Zaino 3 different times...all on a Saturday...he promptly returned my calls on his day off and has been a great help on questions and such. Always had a pleasant experience with him. I will continue to use his products. And the shine on Red and Black cars is AWESOME. Durability is second to none.

Yea, there are a lot of good products on the market...use what works for you and gives you good results and you are happy with it.

Dave :usa:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fellow posers-
Continuing in the off topic vein... :) I have to make a recommendation on this drying towel I purchased. It's big, made of a woven waffle microfiber as you can read, and it works great for drying the car. To me, the drying of the car is the biggest PIA of all, I hate it. The synthetic chamois are ok, but they fill with water quick and you are wringing them out forever. This baby is like a huge thirsty blanket. No exaggeration you can dry the whole car off without wringing it out. It really dries well too holds an unbelievable amount of water. Cut down drastically on the drying time, so us posers can get to waxing... :laugh:
Here's the link, check it out: http://www.properautocare.com/bigbludryint.html

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fellow posers-
Continuing in the off topic vein... :) I have to make a recommendation on this drying towel I purchased. It's big, made of a woven waffle microfiber as you can read, and it works great for drying the car. To me, the drying of the car is the biggest PIA of all, I hate it. The synthetic chamois are ok, but they fill with water quick and you are wringing them out forever. This baby is like a huge thirsty blanket. No exaggeration you can dry the whole car off without wringing it out. It really dries well too holds an unbelievable amount of water. Cut down drastically on the drying time, so us posers can get to waxing... :laugh:
Here's the link, check it out: http://www.properautocare.com/bigbludryint.html

Microfibers are great, but the easiest way to dry the car is with a 200 MPH Toro Electric Leaf Blower. It never contacts the car nor leaves any streaks whatsoever.

I also use the Mr. Clean Autodry Car Wash System. Not only does it filter the water (hardness, etc.) with PUR filters, but it also is self drying as well. I do use the leaf blowever however to expedite the drying process. These two tools really make washing the car a breeze. :usa:

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as drying your car...I recently got a CR Spotless system. It is a water de-ionizer that plugs in line to your garden hose or pressure washer.

You can use whatever soap you choose (unlike the Mr Clean system) and after rinsing....just let the car dry.

It is a very well built unit that in my case will filter 300 gallons before the filters need to be replaced.

The first time I used it on my Excursion, I did not expect it to work. I guess too many years of running to dry before spots set in. I watched my dark blue truck dry in direct sunlight with no spots. Hmm..now what to do with all my drying towels?

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man I tell you that PC7424 works great. I went over the car with it, a foam buffer and some 3M Fine cut compound and then hit it with the 3M show polish....wow. Fun to use too. Even under the flourescents I can't see any swirl marks at all on the hood which was fairly rough before. The red really pops. My rear bumper was an especially bad spot, full of lines in the clearcoat where the previous owner must have dried the car with sandpaper. All gone now.

I'm trying all different types of waxes, figured I would buy some 3M stuff to try. The 3M fine cut compound has a little more bite to get out the swirls, but I am still using it with just the foam bonnet. Happy with the results.
The 3M show car polish is nice to work with, and as mentioned when you use the machine you can really apply a nice thin coat and make short work of the application. Of course, there are still plentry of spots you have to apply by hand.

Super poser note:
I took off my rear license plate and there was quite a bit of sand and grit stuck back there. Had to buff that out to. I must be nuts. :)

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Super poser note:
I took off my rear license plate and there was quite a bit of sand and grit stuck back there. Had to buff that out to. I must be nuts. :)

VJ...good tip...I'm going to remove mine to clean.

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperJon,

I have only washed my Viper 3-4 times in the 4 years since I bought it, but like all of my other cars, after I have rinsed the soap off, I take the nozzle off of the hose, and just let the water run out full force, and not splattering any, and it takes 90% of the water off of the car. So you don't need more than one towell to dry it??? Also, has any one noticed that Z8 is great the first time, but you can not keep applying it. It seems to get hazy or cloudy. I have used Z6 between it, and it seems to work better that way??

Socrates

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got Venom,

I noticed the same thing with the Z-8, even the first time. Especially on the black stripes, it leaves a hazy/cloudy "film" and also causes some streaking. Not the miracle product that I thought or had hoped it was I guess. Z-6 is great though..

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got Venom
I have used that hose method as well, and it does work great for getting most of the water off the car with the sheeting action. What I like about those Big Blue towels I had mentioned above is, besides the absorbancy, they are big. One swipe across the roof and it's dry. Since I usually wash the car once a week it saves some time.

The California dusters work great for in between maintenence. The main problem around here this year is it rains a LOT and puddles are unavoidable in many cases, so washing it is the only way to get the gunk out. Removing dust is one thing, but road muck I can't leave on the car. And we all know those big steamroller tires do kick up the grime.

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone had success with the CRSPOTLESS fast dry system. www.crspotless.com
I am looking to purchase one, but wanted some recommendations from other members first before I paid my hard earned $$$.

Sellsvipersdriveshomes-

Those are pretty expensive for something that does the exact same thing as the $30.00 Mr. Clean system. Not to forget you can literally find Mr.Clean cartridges anywhere (Wal-Mart, Walgreens, K-Mart, Autozone, Pep Boys, NAPA) where as those you have to use mail order and buy only their cartridges. The Mr.Clean system also has a cartridge for soap and sprays it evenly over the entire car. From what I can see those syetems don't have that feature.

Here is the Pro System (about $30.00 at Wal-Mart):

You must be registered for see images

More information:

http://www.homemadesimple.com/mrcleanautodry/proseries.shtml

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In case my post above was missed about the CR Spotless system...scroll up.

Those who I have spoken to that used the Mr Clean system were less than impressed. (Although your mileage may vary.) You must use the Mr Clean soap that contains an ingredient to help it sheet water off to help avoid spotting. I have been told that it left the paint feeling gritty or dirty and not slick. I also understand that this soap cuts your wax.

Another drawback is the pitiful spray when rinsing with the Mr Clean system. It trickles out and takes quite awhile to rinse thoroughly.

With the CR system, I use a pressure washer to keep the flow down, use the soap of my choice, and have plenty of power.

Reaction score
Thanks Matt, Yes, I have used the Mr. Clean system on one of my daily drivers, it was slightly above average at best.

The CR system is expensive (even after the purchase) as it cost about $0.28 per gallon of use for the filter cost, but it comes out much quicker, and I am not a very patient person especially with the hot Florida sun to content with.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sellhomesdrivesviper...If you have not already gotten your CR, I think you will be pleased when you do. It's very nicely made, and works as advertised. There is a bit of a learning curve...but it makes live much easier. (Especially with a vehicle like my Excursion.)

I use mine for the initial rinse and final rinse. I use regular water for the wash bucket. I can't imagine using more than 4 or 5 gallons per wash. At 1.5GPM, that's like 8 minutes of constant spray.