hood up after drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone keep their hoods up after driving ( in the garage) to help cool off the engine? was wondering if this is bad for the hood as it's quite long and only supported at one end? Am i just being paranoid about the engine heat in general?

thanks

Jman:headbang:

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do this with my GEN IV. Probably don't need to but I feel it's a good idea to get the heat out from under the hood rather then just let it sit under there and slowly creep out through the hood vents.

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not really ... only at the track after each session.

I have the roe fan kit which helps a lot with normal driving and plan to vent the cowl which should provide significantly better airflow when complete

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes I'll stick a fan in front of my bumper instead of popping the hood. You can always use a hood prop if you're worried about it falling. Nothing wrong with helping the engine compartment cool down sooner rather than later.

Leojmcca

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to lift the hood up on my 68 charger after a long drive since I didn't want to put the car cover on and trap in the heat. But I don't think the normal heat coming off the engine on the hood is a big issue.

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
engine never gets very hot from driving on the street. now when it's 105 outside after a lapping session at the track...yes. :)

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
LOL, I asked this a few months ago, it seems the consensus is split right down the middle, me for one I ALWAYS pop the hood to the first position, even sometimes when I'm out if I can watch it, and when in the garage I run a box fan on it with it popped for about an hour. All I know is it gets hotter then anything else I've ever seen and it can't do anything but "preserve" it by popping it to the first stage.

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have never done it before - but it actually seems like a good idea as long as it isn't messing up the hood supports. I'm guessing they are designed to be able to hold the hood open for long periods of time though.

DaDood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do it every time and keep the car outside while doing it. Mostly to prevent any associated problems with keeping the engine bay so hot when no air flow is present but it has the added benefit of not heating up my garage and then my house.

Bigsalgt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been doing it since I bought the car! Venting excess hot air that can damage almost any component underneath the hood is well worth the cost of a hood gas shock. Underneath hood temps. can get pretty hot, multiply this by hard driving and a hot summer day, why wouldn't you want to open that hood up?

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never left the hood open in six years and 30K miles and my engine and hood are both doing fine. Geez, the stuff people put in their heads. You have hood vents and get this: The heat will also dissipate underneath the car! I do believe leaving the hood open will add wear to the struts because they have to work more. If you had a hood strut, that would be different. The "hot air" you guys are talking about is nothing; your engine compartment is a lot tougher than that.

Roffey

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's a car - it was designed to take the heat.
No problem dissipating the heat quicker, but if you're in a position when you simply can't.........wouldn't lose any sleep over it........

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problem dissipating the heat quicker, but if you're in a position when you simply can't.........wouldn't lose any sleep over it........

what he said. its just a car. dont sweat it

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This---^

I really try to do both the car and the truck after each drive.
Even if it's only for 10 minutes, it's aiding in releasing that heat from the engine compartment.
It may be negligible regarding helping/saving components, but it's a little peace of mind for me. :)

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then you have to buy new latches from opening and closing it all the time. Opening and closing won't warp the hood huh?

OP
OP
J

jman2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i know lets all drive without our hoods, we'd look sooooooo cool! this way its more of a ram air effect, plus we dont have to worry about pop'n the hood after a drive :)

gilly6993

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have never left the hood open in six years and 30K miles and my engine and hood are both doing fine. Geez, the stuff people put in their heads. You have hood vents and get this: The heat will also dissipate underneath the car! I do believe leaving the hood open will add wear to the struts because they have to work more. If you had a hood strut, that would be different. The "hot air" you guys are talking about is nothing; your engine compartment is a lot tougher than that.

I agree.....I'm actually amazed people do this and think it's worthwhile.....

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Opening up the hood after a drive is completely pointless.

The heat generated from normal driving pales in comparison to 30 min sessions on the track where most of that time is spent full throttle in high RPM's, and even then leaving hoods closed after sessions our cars don't go up in flames...

Only time I open my hood at the track is if I'm checking the oil or making a shock adjustment.

Barrels

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There have been multiple studies conducted on this issue, the most recent being conducted by the Deutsche-Baeg Automotive Research Institute in Kassel Germany. While the study focused primarily on European automobiles, I believe it's findings are relative to this discussion.

The researchers studied 38 different cars over a 1-year period. Each car was thoroughly tested for control prior to the study, with the same testing being performed at the studies conclusion. Areas tested included, but were not limited to: compression, gasket condition, WHP, WTQ, hood paint integrity, front fender paint integrity, hood support condition, hood shape, etc. The cars were driven three times a day for 1, 2, and 3 hours respectively. 19 of the cars had their hoods propped open for a period of 1 hour after the drive throughout the study. The remaining 19 cars were parked with their hoods down. All 38 cars were parked in a climate controlled warehouse. The drivers, position in the caravan, and parking placement in the garage were all constantly varied and randomly selected to avoid contaminating the results.

At the end of the 1 year term the cars were examined by several experts from leading universities and research institutes. The findings had some variance from expert to expert, but all of them agreed with the studies finding. The study concluded, rather convincingly, that drivers should always either leave the hood up on their car after driving, or keep it closed.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The findings had some variance from expert to expert, but all of them agreed with the studies finding. The study concluded, rather convincingly, that drivers should always either leave the hood up on their car after driving, or keep it closed.

I'm confussed..So the hood should be opened or closed? I just pop the front open so theres more area for the heat to escape.

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Its a joke of a story to point out that it doesn't matter. Opening up the hood is pointless.

Here's another scenario.

Picture a bunch of cars on a 110* day in some southern state stuck at a railroad crossing. It's a 30min freight train. All sorts of cars go through this EVERY DAY, A/C blasting, idling parked cars generating tons of heat in their CLOSED engine bays... and by some miracle they don't erupt in flames.

Seriously, your parked car with its engine off does not need its hood to be opened.

If you're really that concerned about cooling, make sure your radiator has clean air and your oil temps don't over heat. And, just to make this extremely clear, these are only issues when your engine is actually RUNNING and making gasoline explosions inside of combustion chambers, not when your engine is completely stationary creating no heat.

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm confussed..So the hood should be opened or closed? I just pop the front open so theres more area for the heat to escape.

So basically we just need to leave the hoods attached and we should be good to go. So those taking the hoods off and driving around with them off should be reinstalling their hoods now.

purplesnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Maybe......the Viper should be like some of the vettes......with the clear plastic opening........only without the plastic.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang