Hopefully picking up my 97 GTS

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an appointment with the dealership Saturday mourning. If the car checks out, I'm picking up the Viper and driving it back home.

It's driving me crazy waiting. Funny part is if I drive it home Saturday, I better take the g/f out for engagement ring shopping that afternoon or I will never here the end of it LOL.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sweet Snake!!! Good luck, the anticipation will nearly kill you!!! If it doesn't check out no sweat it is a buyers market. I bought a year to early,although I can't say I really regret it.
If you haven't been around Vipers before be prepared to be treated like a celebrity,fuel stops become an ordeal in a good way but end up taking forever!!Post more pics if it works out.:2tu:

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BEAUTIFUL GTS...love the wheels as well. Seems the Viper would be enjoyable by BOTH you and the GF? We're car nuts here, so we'd go with CARS anyday~~no need for rings! GOOD LUCK to ya and welcome aboard!!! Make sure to PM kcobean or citysnake with your VIN # to get updated to Viper Owner, and yes, pics please! ~juli

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BEAUTIFUL GTS...love the wheels as well. Semes the Viper would be enjoyable by BOTH you and the GF? We're car nuts here, so we'd go with CARS anyday~~no need for rings! GOOD LUCK to ya and welcome aboard!!! Make sure to PM kcobean or citysnake with your VIN # to get updated to Viper Owner, and yes, pics please! ~juli

Yeah I showed a picture of it to her this mourning. She wants to come with me now to get it. She said, "screw the ring". Couldn't ask for a better girl.

Still going to get her a ring soon anyway. Just was waiting for the right moment to purpose.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I showed a picture of it to her this mourning. She wants to come with me now to get it. She said, "screw the ring". Couldn't ask for a better girl.
Still going to get her a ring soon anyway. Just was waiting for the right moment to purpose.

Very Nice!!! And, if you want marriage, then good for you getting a 'car gal'!~! ~juli
Glad she loved the Viper...gosh, who wouldn't?!!! :D

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Where are you located in Texas? The VCA is pretty active here, especially in Austin!

We have a drive next weekend (the 26th). If you're interested and wanna hit some corners in your new Snake, shoot me a PM and I can forward you the info.

Good luck!

OP
OP
F

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where are you located in Texas? The VCA is pretty active here, especially in Austin!

We have a drive next weekend (the 26th). If you're interested and wanna hit some corners in your new Snake, shoot me a PM and I can forward you the info.

Good luck!

I live in houston and travel to waco/dallas area usually every other weekend.

Yeah if I have the car I'll have to keep that in mind. I'm trying to get my turbo 92 mustang notch going(in waco) so we will see.

Might sell that car to put towards a TT kit for the viper. Just have to decide if I want to build one or buy a "DIY" viper TT kit.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
V

Venomiss

I live in houston and travel to waco/dallas area usually every other weekend.

Yeah if I have the car I'll have to keep that in mind. I'm trying to get my turbo 92 mustang notch going(in waco) so we will see.

Might sell that car to put towards a TT kit for the viper. Just have to decide if I want to build one or buy a "DIY" viper TT kit.

Just in case you didn't see this website before:

Page 1

Good luck and hope the car is sound for you. Join us!

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
first thing I'd do is replace those hideous wheels! nice car otherwise!

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
first thing I'd do is replace those hideous wheels! nice car otherwise!

As always, everyone has their own opinions...I love the wheels, if in fact as shown, they are BLACK...goes great with red OR black Vipers. We can disagree on the wheels, but the car is awesome agreed!!! :2tu: ~juli

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it me or does the passenger airbag color look strange? I know on the 98 which has the wrinkled finish dash the air bag section is the same color and texture. I know the 97 does not have the wrinkled finished dash, but that color does not look black either. I'm saying it was deployed, then replaced and the vehicle past condition is not in the untouched condition as stated in the ad.

Obsidian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the color of the wheels, but they don't look right to me. I agree with jpa99acr: replace the wheels - keep the color, though.

OP
OP
F

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it me or does the passenger airbag color look strange? I know on the 98 which has the wrinkled finish dash the air bag section is the same color and texture. I know the 97 does not have the wrinkled finished dash, but that color does not look black either. I'm saying it was deployed, then replaced and the vehicle past condition is not in the untouched condition as stated in the ad.

I'll keep that in mind.... Little stuff like that doesnt bother me. I'm a hot rodder. So the more minor flaws I can point out, the cheaper I can maybe get this. :cool:

As far as the wheels. They will stay on for a while. I dont think they are ugly, just not exactly what I want. I really want some nice chrome HRE's, Iforged, or whoever.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
welcome abaord!!! As Jason said, we have a drive with a bunch of Vipers coming up on the 26th that will be taking place in the hill country. Come on out and play :) Also, let us know next time you come through with your Viper and perhaps a few us can meet you for a bite to eat.

Also, Houston and Central Texas have a great resource of shops to help you with the maitenance of your car...inside and out. We have a pretty active club as some on here will attest to with at least one big outing a month...join on up!

OP
OP
F

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps a few more questions from the pictures of this car some of the more knowledable viper nuts can help me with.

This obviously is the wrong air bag. So it has been replaced. So for this, where do I look for crumple zones on vipers?
You must be registered for see images attach

Is this a K&N intake setup? Also, I notice an A/N fitting. Does this have an aftermarket raidiator?

From this shot it has edelbrock exhaust heat shields. Are those headers I see?

Are these factory exhaust tips? Could this car possibly have a full exhaust(if those were aftermarket headers in that picture earlier?

THanks for all the help!

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be very careful buying from those guys. They have sold 9 cars on ebay and already have a 84% rating. Doesn't speak well for them. Be careful.:nono:

OP
OP
F

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be very careful buying from those guys. They have sold 9 cars on ebay and already have a 84% rating. Doesn't speak well for them. Be careful.:nono:

Yes I noticed that. That's why I'm going there in person to look over the car real good and talk face to face.

G

grcforce327

You need to take another person(or more) with you to inspect the car.Usually in the excitement,a person may miss something!Have them rack the car,and go over it 3 or 4 times(take your time).The airbag would scare me!!!!:omg:........... so do the wheels!:lmao:

GoodLuck!

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well glad to know I'm not alone in thinking the wheels were hideous. The airbag definitely has been replaced. The good news is it does appear to have at least edelbrock headers (the headers are not stock from the photo and the heat shields would make me think they are edelbrock). The tips do not look factory either, so it probably has a catback of some kind, hard to say what from the pics, others may be able to tell but I can't. I'd be wary as heck with the definite front air end damage.

have you run a carfax yet? keep in mind many times carfax does NOT always have accidents and repairs logged. Good luck.

OP
OP
F

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well glad to know I'm not alone in thinking the wheels were hideous. The airbag definitely has been replaced. The good news is it does appear to have at least edelbrock headers (the headers are not stock from the photo and the heat shields would make me think they are edelbrock). The tips do not look factory either, so it probably has a catback of some kind, hard to say what from the pics, others may be able to tell but I can't. I'd be wary as heck with the definite front air end damage.

have you run a carfax yet? keep in mind many times carfax does NOT always have accidents and repairs logged. Good luck.

Good to see it has headers.. Are the edelbrock ones good? Got to be better then stock right?

Yeah i'm just not a huge fan of the wheels. They will do for now, but I know new wheels will be purchased in the future. Yeah I'm bringing my father, which teaches in the dodge training program at a college.. We are going to look this car over good. The more things "wrong" I can find, the cheaper I can get it;)

I have not ran carfax, i'm going to ask the dealership to run it for me. I also have a buddy that sales cars give me a list of what vipers have been selling for at auctions these past few months. Hopefully between everything, I can come out of this with a hell of a deal. It being wrecked(if it has been) before doesnt bother me, as long as the work was done right.

OP
OP
F

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Listen to the members here and if nothing else, get it to a Viper tech and put it up on a lift. Look at the frame closely! If the air bag is not original, very likey it has been wacked. If you're getting the car cheap, no problem, but you have other choices.

Like this 97 RT:

ViperClub Classifieds - 1997 Viper RT/10 - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

:2tu::2tu:

I think my father teaches viper techs... lol. I know he has 2-3 vipers he teaches on at work. Back when I lived at home and him and I went to car shows to promote the automotive program at his school I used to drive a red 2001 GTS all the time. Of course it wasn't supposed to be driven, but what does a a few doughnuts or short burst in a parking lot hurt right?;) That's where I fell in love with vipers.

Don't worry though, we are going to go over this car with a fine tooth comb. If everything opens right, and it drives straight, I really dont care that it's wrecked except for the price I can get it for.

So I did a search and the Eldelbrock headers are apprently really good.

Curious though. Is there an easy sure sign to see if the valve covers been off? I wonder if this car has 1.7 rockers in it or not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32