How did you afford to buy a Viper?

Hissses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No Degree. Just alot of hard work and a very supportive wife and Viper crazy daugther! That's what, 4 Viper owners with out a Degree?

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe you can make it w/o a degree, but I'd hate to try.
For me it was a foundation for my life. School gave me a hunger for learning that continues to this day. School makes me realize how little I know and how much I want to know. That's why I'm still a student. School also helped me learn English.

vette2viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BS/MS in Meteorology
PhD in Atmospheric Science
Retired and no family except a red Dachsund named Max. :D

3snakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
your are right my enghish is bad look at mt post it is dead give away. two of my kids are in coll. now i think ed. is very good. but let us not loose that good old self ed. for us that could not get it.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Credit cards!

oh no, that was my Ferrari 19 years ago!

before that

I traded a 3 family house ( after I mortgaged it to the hilt) for a new 1984 Corvette.

The Viper, my wife made me buy it!

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No degree here. Gave back a 4-year paid scholarship after about a year and joined the Marines instead. I am now the Engineering manager for a high tech company and almost everyone that works for me has a BS, MS or PhD. Not the easy way, but possible. The only downside to not having a degree in high tech is that you tend to have to prove yourself all over again if you change jobs and many companies now mandate a degree no matter what your experience is. Which is really silly given the fact that in many cases, they don't even care what the degree is in.

I'm biased, but I find that the 'can do' attitude, work ethic and real world experience of many ex-military job applicates is more benefitial than a degree for many positions.

No doubt, a degree is the safest route, and typically needed for the training in many technical jobs like Engineering, but there are other paths to success as well as long as the person in question has the drive and some smarts to go with it.

2kviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BS Marketing
BS Management
BS International Business
MBA, Finance

imho, school simply opens doors. networking, seeing various points of view, etc. it's a luxury. i paid my own way via school loans for undergrad (my company paid for the MBA via a forgiveness loan), have no debts other than my mortgage (i've paid off 70% of new house built 9/02 -- 4 car garage! :2tu: ).

kids believe money comes from atm's not hard work. trying to raise my three kids to understand that good things come from hard work....

dies

Viper Owner
Reaction score
BS Computer Science

Either way, degree or not, tell him to learn a trade well and start a company. If he wants to have a viper and actually have time to enjoy it, doubtful he'll get that working for someone else...Unless he works for he government :p

RoadKing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BS Electrical Engineering (Go Boilermakers) :headbang:
MBA

Education can't buy happiness, but is a solid foundation for any endeavor. I know a lot of people without a "formal" education that are a lot smarter and wealthier than I. Tell him to be happy and let him earn his own way to his future, guidance as required.

Remember friends don't let friends kids go to IU! :shocked:

Donzi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No college, just high school. I bought my first GTS 3 years ago and financed it. I sold it and kicked myself in the butt after. I then built a nice boat myself almost from the ground up. A Donzi, It was a real head turner with a supercharged engine. I traded the boat even-up for my current 97 GTS

GTSPOWERED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Associates in electrical. I am a maintenance supervisor over 3 shifts. I have had cars all my life.
each one I worked on and improved and then sold for a small profit this was it took time but I moved up the food
chain till I bought my Viper.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was lucky to get outta high school. but worked my butt off at a few jobs and got me a great job doing what I love.

then paid cash for it.

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
B S in Business Admin
Associate In Science

It’s not the degree, it’s the ability to hang in at times when others are giving up. The degree just shows you have ambition and drive.

:2tu:

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BS in CIS, worked for First Union National Bank right out of college, then landed a job with some food company Called "Sysco" Systems. I thougth they did networking, but I have later been told we are a food company.

Jon

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Passed High School with miserable grades and went into a technical school (watchmaker)

Good idea to choose a trade that is a dying breed, at least you get plenty of job offers.

Without a degree it is possible, but your chances getting there are slimmer, much slimmer... 6 bucks an hour at Walmart without benefits will never cut it.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tech guy. Worked hard from 17 on... and saved money. And the day I turned 25, I walked into the dealership to buy the viper and they wouldn't sell me the car b/c I was in a tee-shirt and cut-offs... or some other reason. perhaps my cashiers check wasn't green enough, even though it was from a bank down the street.

I had the last laugh, though... I got the car!

JD

PBJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a BS ME ,but I don't use it.I am a viper tech at a Dodge Dealer and I run a speed shop out of it as well. There is nothing wrong with a good education...it can only help you out in the future. I say send him to school, it is a tough world out there with no education....a blue collar lifestyle is not always that wonderful. I am 37 and I feel like I am 57...Go to school !!!
Later,
Joe

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BS Electrical Engineering
MS Technology Management
Soon to be License Professional Engineer (waiting for NY state to get off its but and grade my exam :rolleyes: )

Small Business owner providing Technical Project Management and Network Design/Implementation.

Education definately opens doors but nothing comes free. Hard work and desire is the key to success :cool: Also a little good luck does not hurt ;)

Bandit400

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No Degree, High School and some nights at a junior college. Started my own business at age 23 and paid cash for my Viper.

The advise I always give kids is own your own business, whatever your interested are in, make a business out of it and work for yourself. It's great going through life working hard and then playing hard.
Don't get me wrong, College is great if your going to apply yourself. I could be much farther ahead of the game, had I gone to college. but it wasn't in the card for me. Most of my friends have tons of college friends and beer drinking stories to tell you but by the time they got out of college I was starting my own business and they've never caught up to me after that.

Bottom line, the we bought are vipers is by working are asses off.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have a degree, but I think that my generation is the last that can be as successful as I have been without a degree. I own a retail store and my wife also works. All my toys are paid for (see below) and my house is mostly paid for. I have been so broke that I lived in my car. I have a pretty comfortable lifestyle now but it has been a hard road here. Continuing education may have made my life smoother getting here, but I don't think I would be any better financial shape in the end.

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
B.S. in Industrial Engineering
M.S. in Management-Production and Operations Management

Without college I could not have afforded the Viper. I had no money to start a business right out of high school and I had no clue what the heck I wanted to do anyways. My college degrees have paid off for now with some decent paying jobs. Plan to start my own business someday real soon though.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21