How did you afford to buy a Viper?

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard work in school and the job. Nothing came easy. Got lucky one year, made the deposit in a lump sum, timing was right, had the income for payments, bought it! Everything in life is a job. Get used to it.

AC

KurtZ RT-10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No degree but, went to collage dropped out first year, too much partying. Learned a trade as an electrician got burnt out. Went to trade school for HVAC, work for company for 10 years, Then the owner sold it to me. Now work 50 to 70 hrs a week and lots of headaches, wouldn’t change a thing. And now own my dream car which is paid for.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK guys, I will tell the truth for all of us.......our wives are loaded! LOL Seriously, hard work does pay off. No college degree here. Worked where I did for 10 years, then bought it. Business owner for 6 years now.

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Masters Degree was the minimum requirement for my job so I had no choice. I decided last yr to further my ed. for my own edification and self-improvement. Education is not simply to exchange for bucks in the marketplace. I learned things in classroom settings that I would never been exposed to. Even Art Appreciation and Music Appreciation had their places; as well as Speech, and Economics 202, and even History of the U.S. Until 1865.
Guess I am just a lifelong student who enjoys conversing at many levels regarding several topics. (Vipers included.)

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Education, education, education. You can succeed without it, but your chances are reduced dramatically. If you want to maximize your chance for success get an education in a subject that you have a passion for. That way hard work will come more naturally as you will enjoy what you do (for the most part).

Also remember that for every self made, financially set without an education story there are dozens of "if I had only ..." stories.

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You guys make me feel like Jethro Bodine..........No degree here......nice income as a contractor....never had a paycheck in my life..

Gottaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HS grad. Not a day of college, Although I missed out on the insane party stories I hear. I have worked in sales right out of High school, first building surround sound theaters and now selling Honda's. Auto Sales has been very good to me, and hey if I want a raise I go and get it myself. Working hard for a Viper since Detroit Debut.

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron from MI is on the right track. Work at a job that you have a passion for and would do even if you did not get paid. I love my job even though it has its pressures, and even though I was scheduled to leave at 5 today, I left at 7.30 by choice. I have a great staff, there is variety, I feel affirmed with a sense of accomplishment. I go in every Sat. for a few hours because I like the feeling I get from being there.
I'm not a workaholic, I just love my profession. It just so happens that it required an education. I've been doing it for 22 years and when the passion is gone, I'll probably do something else.
Don't waste your life doing something that you hate. Life is too short.

TomH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
High school only but a reading nut, studied the market for nearly a decade before starting to invest then took 14 and a half years to build up to 7 figures, reached that goal and bought a gts, motorhome, and a house all with cash within a few months of each other. Let other people do the work. ps Thank you GW

tmcalist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BS in Business Admin
MBA with concentration in MIS

As a rather large black man, I get the "he must play for the Bucs" alot since I live in Tampa. Just wish I could get the girls from the Wing House to think I play with the Bucs.

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
BS Finance/Self Employed. Could have paid cash at the time. Held on to my savings, got a loan, $85K in medical bills in 6 months, working my a$$ off to clean it all up.

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BA in Marketing
Masters plus 90 Credits in School Counseling
Professional Photography Studio 13 yrs.
Owner of Bubble Technologies Manufacturing (Designer of Special Effects Equipment)

Chances are good in being more control of your destiny if decide to open your own business someday. Overall try to venture into something that you have a genuine interest in and not just the amount of earning power the vocation has. Generally if you develop a skill or talent in a specialized industry that you are interested in the money will follow eventually through increasing demand of the skills you possess.

99 Viper R/T 10
70 Dodge Charger R/T 440
SUV (Cold Air Intake)

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interventional Cardiologist. I can make it to the hospital to treat a heart attack quicker than any of my partners! Hmmm... maybe I should write the snake off as a business expense...

riverflyer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mendocino, on the lovely North coast of California
BS in Soc Sci Pre Law. Instead of law school I spent 3 years being a ski bum in Colorado doing various jobs to make ends meet. Learned a trade in spite of myself, enjoyed many years of working with my hands before building skills took me roundabout back to business. I am a big believer both in education for its own sake and the time period college allows to try and get a grip on this crazy world. Bottom line, do what you love, do it well and the rewards will follow (with any luck!)

MightyP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Finished 10th grade, got bored in 11th and started working. Started in the computer industry doing technical support for an ISP (not AOL) and now I'm the CTO for a software company.

IMHO I have to say that education is certainly important but not just for the sake of saying that you have an education. I interview people on a regular basis that are graduates of this and that and have no grasp on how real life works. Who knows, I may go back to school at some point for something completely different.

02 Yellow RT/10

wanna\rt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
B.A in graphic design

Creative director at FOX\UPN TV in Chicago

Hard work PERIOD! Always had "nice cars" just a $15k nice car then a $22k nice car and a $30k nice car
to a $38k nice car and then a $45k nice car. Eventually I got a $65k beautiful Lexus convertible. I loved it and thought I had the greatest car ever (except those $200k exotics) until I saw a viper.
I am now a $75k 2003 viper owner and still going. I am 37 years old. Work hard, love your family, love God and be a good person and things just work out.............

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wild Bill, you really started a thread here!

Bach. Architecture
Masters in Urban Planning

Went into real estate development 18 years ago and bought my Viper for cash.

The key theme that winds its way through all the responses is that it takes hard work to get ahead, no matter how you do it. Kids today want instant gratification. Make your kid work for it Wild Bill, he'll enjoy it much more than if it is given to him. Just look at all those hard working guys with smiles on their faces who responded above!

ceieio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BS Electrical Engineering / CS
Contrary to the old saw "you can't get rich working for someone else", I made my coin in large high tech firms. Bought Viper, needed more time to drive it, bought company, cut working hours down by 30 or so a week. Need to buy national weather service so more Viper days in Pacific Northwest. (Perhaps that last one won't work as well as the others did.)

I wouldn't want to go out in the world without a college degree. You can make it without one, but it is sooo much easier with one.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Board Certified Urological Surgeon.
I started practice with no resources other than my education. An education opens doors and provides opportunities.

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
'm 23 and have never had any thing given to me , I only finished high school .I own a 2000 Viper ACR , 2001 Z06, 2004 Hemi, a brand new house and in the fall I am going to buy a new H2.

My family didn't have the money to help me go to school . I'm not like some who have everything given to them all the time . But I also didn't want to be like others who never have money and are in debt from loans until after they turn 30. I got a job right out of high school and went against the norm. I wanted to start making money right away.

Through hard work and determination , I live a life that many dream of. . I appreciate everything I own, and have worked for . Growing up I didn't have luxuries most others have . My family didn't have very much money.

I do love life, everyone should. Some people take for granted the things they have ,the lives their custom to. Lots of people have always been around wealth so they don't know what its like to struggle to survive. Let alone be with out thier butlers and valet parking.

I am especially thankful to be alive as I'm currently recovering from a life threatening accident where I was ejected from a vehicle at 70 mph. Was sub due to a shattered pelvis and major body trauma. Due to a single vehicle accident where my vehicle hit an ice patch on a road at night. The vehicle slid into the ditch and began flipping. This accident in which I lost my father in as he was ejected also and didn't survive.

So no matter how you got your Viper be Thankful .
Thankful that you have it , thankful that you get to drive it and thankful that you alive.

Pat_L_96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Busted my asp working two jobs and taking 12 hours at night school. Busted my asp in making myself the best at what ever I do. I have an AA only, but 23 years of attempting to do the best job possible has paid off. Now I'm the manager of Marketing and Motor Sports for the aftermarket business of the worlds largest automotive sealing company. My small degree was my first stepping stone into this business and it appears I need to continue it as I'm the only one without a BS or MA in the office. So how did I afford my Viper...hard work, supporting wife and having my kids marry (no not each other)and move out.

Photo pro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BS in Business Management
15 years in the banking industry
3 years as a full time professional photographer

(BTW - I have the best job of anyone on this forum. I just returned from shooting a wedding in Nassau, Bahamas)

How did I afford the Viper... 1,167 8x10's

SJT97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BS Business Management (May 2003 graduate)

In July, it will be my first year at my "real" job. I am in Regional Operations for a firm in the Auto Industry -- we are a quality/service company for automakers & suppliers.

Bought my 1st Viper at 19 and paid in full -- 2nd Viper at 20. I would like to personally thank eBay for opening the doors to fun! I started my own eBay business at 18 selling sports cards/memorabilia. I got out of that in May 2002 and now sell rare fountain pens on eBay (ID: Sean9689).

Without an education, I wouldn't be where I am today at such a young age. Although instinct plays a part into success, it's your education that polishes you as a person.

PS: I'll be 23 in June... :2tu:

96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
B.S. in Pharmacy (5 years)
D.D.S. (4 years)
**** & Maxillofacial Surgery residency (3 years)

Education + hard work + dream = VIPER ! :2tu:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21